Friday, October 13, 2017

My Favourite Place In the City


My favourite place in the city is the waterfront along Beach Avenue downtown.
I take the shuttle bus number 23 at my transfer point and get off at the Aquatic Centre.
There I progress northwest along the green way and along Sunset Beach.  I people gaze and take photos as I go along.  I am in no hurry.

I usually go as far as the Inukshuk (shown in the last photo below) and then return by bus on Davie at Denman or get back on the 23 proceeding east on Beach Avenue to downtown.


In bygone days this was a favourite shared walk with my late mom.She loved this walk and we would stop afterward along Denman Street near Davie to have cake and coffee or get some Greek calamari before returning home.
We always had a wonderful time and a few laughs too. 
These days I usually like to go alone on this walk.
That way I am free to focus on the beauty of what I am seeing and just truly relax and recharge or take photos.  Sometimes though I go down with a friend or a relative.
My last accompanied visit down to the beach was with a cousin when we went for a very long walk on Canada Day (a year ago last July 1st).
We ended with fireworks at Canada Place, an ice cream and long walk back to our bus afterwards.

I don't have a lot to say about these photos other than I never, ever get tired of the scenery.
These photos were taken after the sun was going down as I got there a little late.




I also love to see the dogs frolicking in the water. They have so much fun fetching sticks, over and over and over again.


Or playing ball with their masters.



I loved seeing the many sailboats sitting calmly on the ocean.
It also gave me pleasure to see the birds perched on the rocks  & silhouetted against the ocean.

There is the Inukshuk (the tall rock formation) standing in the distance.
There were many people on the seawall the last day of the Thanksgiving weekend.  Rain was predicted for the following day but it didn't arrive until Thursday.
People were out in full force to soak up the sun and the atmosphere before returning to work or school the next day.

In case you are coming to Vancouver for a visit, the map below shows the bus routes for downtown and the major train stations (red dots though some of the red dots are ferry boat pick up and drop off locations).






Thanks for stopping by.
I'm joining up with Skywatch Friday
and

23 comments:

Toni said...

Such beautiful photos of the beach and shore. You must live in a wonderful area. Thank you for sharing them with us. Have a blessed evening my friend.

affectioknit said...

I can see why that is a favorite place for you (and you Mom)...

~Have a lovely day!

annie said...

What a beautiful place to be. Lovely photos :)

Jo said...

Hi Penny, I'm always thrilled to see a post by you and I can comment! What a beautiful place to walk. I can imagine it's quite nostalgic as you remember your dear mom. Those photos are beautiful with the light fading over the water. Great to see the dogs too. Thanks for the blessing at the end of your post. (I need it today, *sigh*) Hugs Jo

Joanne Noragon said...

That first photo would make a great header, too.

Red said...

The first Time I visited Vancouver in 1951I went To False Creek. There are many beautiful areas in Vancouver.

Bill said...

A lovely place to walk. It's nice that you have the treasured memories of walking there with your mother. The dogs are great to see, I see them here when I walk our coast. Fun to see them play and they enjoy it as much as the people do. Fantastic photos and thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Bill

http://somewhereinirelanddailyphoto.blogspot.ie

Linda said...

Absolutely stunning!

Mari said...

I can see why you like it. It's a very pretty place!

Jan said...

Looks like a great place to walk. I would love to visit . The red dots on the map are ferry stops you say, does the ferry go around the edge of the land like a bus serive?

Joyful said...

Hi Jan, lovely to see you again. Only 2 of the red dots are ferry stops (Stamp's Landing and the Aquatic Centre). There are more than 2 ferry stops but this map only shows 2. The small ferries tend to be more for tourists (and are not part of the regular transit system). These small ferry boats cover primarily the False Creek and Sunset Beach area and another beach you can't see on the map. At the red dot which shows the Seabus Terminal is where you get a seabus which is part of the public transit system and goes to the North Shore. To be honest we really should have a much more robust over the water transit system much like they do in Sydney, Australia where you can go all over the place on the ferry boats in much quicker time than over land. Perhaps once we are through paying for our expanded subway/light rapid transit system, they will expand our over the water options. It would be great if you could visit some day :-)

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I can see why it is your favorite place. Wonderful memories of your Mom. Beautiful scenic views of the water and boats. I like watching the dogs playing in the water and fetching the sticks. Looks like beautiful weather to be outside too. Wonderful photos! I appreciate your joining in with my 200th Critter party. Thank you so much for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Sunday, enjoy your day and new week ahead!

Diane said...

I would never get tired of that view or people watching, what a wonderful place to go and also so many happy memories of your mother. Hope that you have a good week Diane

Jeanie said...

I can see why this is so special, with such wonderful views. Water is so relaxing and there's always something interesting going on around it. And it would be all the more special as you remember the times you spent there with your mom. Treasure.

Schotzy said...

I would love to live near the water.. the light on your photos is very appealing and makes me long for it more... thanks for sharing!!

Lois said...

No wonder it is your favorite place! It is beautiful and your photos are lovely.

Nancy Chan said...

I can see why you love this place. I would too! I too love to see dogs having fun fetching sticks and watching the sailboats. Great photos of the beach.

Aritha V. said...

What a beautiful place! I love to see your photos! Th sailboats and the dog in the water. Super!

Breathing In Grace said...

Such great fotos of a gorgeous place. I'd love to visit sometime. I'm sorry to be so late to visit....we had our grand-kiddos all weekend and yesterday, I was a tad under the weather. HOPE you have a great week.

jabbott said...

The beach is a wonderful place to go with company or for solitude x

shayndel said...

Looks beautiful! I was touched by your memories of your mom, my mom also loved to take walks by the water in the city where she lived and loved, New York!! It was something I loved doing with her too! So your post brought a soothing place in my heart for those times with her. Blessings and Peace-full days to you!

Red said...

There's always lots to see on English Bay.

Joyful said...

I'm so glad that my post brought soothing to your heart ♥

It Was a Spectacular Day! ~ Skywatch

Hello friends and fellow bloggers, It was a spectacular, sunny day where I live. It's still rather chilly from my point of view but the ...