Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Canada Day 2010


Thursday, July 1st, 2010 is Canada Day. 

Canada Day (French: Fête du Canada), formerly Dominion Day (French: Le Jour de la Confédération), is Canada's national day, a federal statutory holiday celebrating the anniversary of the July 1, 1867, enactment of the British North America Act (today called the Constitution Act, 1867), which united two British colonies and a province of the British Empire into a single country called Canada. Canada Day celebrations take place throughout Canada as well as internationally.

Canada Day is often referred to as "Canada's birthday".  The occasion marks the joining of the British North American colonies of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and the Province of Canada into a federation of four provinces (the Province of Canada being divided, in the process, into Ontario and Quebec) on July 1, 1867. Canada became a kingdom in its own right on that date, but the British Parliament kept limited rights of political control over the new country that were shed by stages over the years until the county's Constitution was repatriated in 1982.  The Queen of England was here to mark that occasion. 


The monarch is here again today in Canada to celebrate the country's 143 birthday. She is not travelling to western Canada on this trip but I was fortunate enough to see her many years ago. Here she is in Ottawa earlier today.

Photo credit: National Post, July 1st, 2010, Reuters/Blair Gable
Read here about how I spent last year's Canada Day.  This year I plan to stay home and have a nice, quiet, relaxing time.

HAPPY CANADA DAY


On a personal note, I got the breast cancer diagnostic results Wednesday. After testing over a period of a year (involving x-rays, biopsy, ultrasound) I am cancer free. Yeah! This news is a great Canada Day gift.

I don't have to get checked again for another year and after that, every two years, if all is well. I am especially thankful given my aunt just had a recurrence of breast cancer and a full mastectomy last Friday. Her surgery seems to have gone well and she is recovering nicely.

7 comments:

Barbara said...

Well amen on your news, and Happy Canada Day to you and all our Canadian friends, hugs and blessings on this holiday.

Joyful said...

Thank you Barbara. So sweet of you to comment. I know our neighbours to the sourth will soon be celbrating July 4th. :-)

Living In Williamsburg Virginia said...

Happy Canada Day (belated). Wonderful shot of the Queen.

Darryl and Ruth : )

Joyful said...

Thank you Darrel and Ruth for the well wishes and for the compliment on the photo. I can't take credit as the photographer ;-) Happy 4th of July to you.

Teena said...

Glad to hear your scan went well, and all the best in your fight <3

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

Glad your cancer free! I go for my results July 21. So far I'm good My surgery was July 2,2008. The Queen's becoming a great grandma in the fall.

Joyful said...

Glad your cancer free! I go for my results July 21. So far I'm good My surgery was July 2,2008. The Queen's becoming a great grandma in the fall.

City Gardens, Weather & Cooking

Hello dear friends and fellow bloggers, Time passed too quickly this month and before you know it May will be here.  With it's return th...