Friday, March 25, 2011

It's Been a Fruitful Few Days of Spring Cleaning

We've had a few days of sunshine in my city which has given me an impetus to do some spring cleaning.  It was also a few days of relaxing, cooking a bit and reading.

I read several chapters of my new to me book, "The Orchid Thief".  I wouldn't say that this is the best book I've ever read, but I must say I am enjoying it a lot.  I didn't realize there were so many varieties of orchids.  I also didn't know that there have been orchid collectors and hunters for hundreds and hundreds of years.  What is sad is that early hunters plundered the orchids in many countries around the world to satisfy the orchid fever of a few collectors in far away places.  Many of the orchids did not survive the shipping conditions enroute to their new homes in faraway lands.

I  purchased this book at the YWCA Thrift Store for $1.00.

I managed to make a good start on cleaning different parts of the apartment. The dining area in particular was cleaned and dusted and the dining table and chairs well cleaned.  I need to mix up some home made furniture polish and shine it up before taking photos so I can sell the dining set and make room for the smaller set I purchased in January.

In the kitchen I rearranged a few things, placing little used items on the top of the kitchen cupboards to make more room for the things I need to keep on the kitchen counter tops.  I would rather not have items stored at the top of the kitchen cabinets.  On the other hand, at least the items are close at hand when I do need them. I keep a two step ladder near by so I can reach the items.

Another big job was cleaning out the small laundry area.  It is very crowded in there as it is the only real storage area. It was rather dusty so I took everything out and washed the floor. I moved things out temporarily because the washer repairman was coming over to inspect the washer.  It has been making loud banging noises for some time. The repairman declared the washer in fine shape after taking it apart to have a look.  Too bad it cost me $90. to learn that. It hasn't eliminated the need to constantly rebalance the washer. I guess we'll just have to be more careful how the clothes go into the washer in the first place. I think the washer is starting to show it's age.

I've labelled the different things in this small laundry closet. If you want to read the labels please click on the photo to enlarge it.

I also made a start on the overhaul of the master bathroom. I really do have far too much stuff in there. The excess of things is a hold over from my spending days. I have enough facial and body wash products to do me for a few years. Probably longer than the shelf life of the products!  I confess I've spent so much money trying so many products largely due to having very dry and itchy skin and dry hair too. What I've learned is that this has largely been a waste of time and money. Spending in this area is probably the one where it has been harder to learn to exercise spending restraint and I am still learning to discipline myself.  I've been experimenting lately with natural products and I've noticed an improvement in skin conditions.  I think I need to learn to make my own products once I've used up what I have because the expense of naturally made products is quite high.  Cleaning the bathroom will be a lot easier once I have fewer products in there.

Click to enlarge and read the descriptions. I keep everything in bins and on trays to make it easier to move and clean.  When you have so much it needs to be easily moved.


I washed the mattress pad on my bed to get rid of dust mites.  I should probably vacuum the mattress also but I'll save that for another day when I have a bit more time.  I moved a few things around again because I really don't like having my suitcases in the corner of the bedroom.  I've moved the plastic tubs from the closet to the corner of the room once again, and moved the suitcases back into the closet where I can close the door on them.

Two of the three plastic tubs consist of sewing fabric and patterns. There really isn't a lot of fabric the tub.  It's mainly fabric for one casual jacket. If if I don't get around to making the jacket this Fall, I will gift the fabric to someone. I will go through the patterns in the second tub and most of it will likely go to charity.  The entire contents of the third tub will be taken to charity because it is full of wrapping paper, gift bags and ribbons.  I don't give many gifts anymore so I don't need this stash.

As I went along in the various rooms, I put things in the giveaway bag that I no longer want or need. More things will be put in the give away bag as I go through my things a third and fourth time and cull what I no longer need or use.  There are a few things I am holding on to for my nephew. I feel he is a little young to decide whether he wants them or not so I will hang on to them a little while longer.

We've had a few days of sunshine this week. Unfortunately it will turn to rain again very soon, but in the meantime, I've managed to clean some of the debris from my small garden as I turn my mind to what I hope to plant this year.

These are just some of the possibilities for the garden.
I took out my seed packs and looked for my seed starter cartons and trays.  I usually get my garden in late due to having to travel so often. This year I should manage to be on time with the planting as my travel schedule has been much reduced.  I hope to have some vegetables and herbs to use in my cooking this summer.

10 comments:

Colleen said...

Spring cleaning can be so very refreshing Penny!:) I enjoy the thought of everything being all sparkly and new again and also getting rid of useless things!

Enjoy and have a lovely day!

Joyful said...

The older I get the more I appreciate why people did Spring cleaning, lol. There have been seasons of my life where Spring cleaning hasn't been that necessary because I've kept everything so clean throughout the year. Now that I'm older and have more stuff, Spring cleaning gives a good opportunity to declutter as well as clean :-)

OneStonedCrow said...

Looks like you've been pretty busy Penny - it's time now to make a cup of tea, put your feet up and finish that book ... :)

Joyful said...

Ha, ha. That sounds nice Graham. Except I did that last night and couldn't sleep due to the caffeine. I think I'll just have some ice water now and go to sleep (it is now 1:00 a.m.). Have a wonderful day!

LV said...

We both got motivated this week. However, mine is working in the yard. I got it all about finished and then I start on the inside of the house. House cleaning is not my favorite thing. I love being outside.

Joyful said...

Hi LV. it was nice to get motivated after the long dreary winter. I hope to be spending more time outside too.

Joyful said...

Hi LV. it was nice to get motivated after the long dreary winter. I hope to be spending more time outside too.

EG Wow said...

You're making me think I ought to do some spring cleaning...except it doesn't seem a bit like spring here yet. :)

The Orchid Thief sounds like an interesting book.

Laura said...

I wish Spring Cleaning were contagious!!!!

Joyful said...

It would be great if housework in general was contagious, lol.

A Few Days in March ~ Skywatch Friday

Hello friends and fellow bloggers. I hope Spring is treating you well so far. It's been roller coaster weather where I live with mostly ...