Friday, October 7, 2011

Today's Juice


We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore is not an act but a habit.

Aristotle

I read the quote earlier this week on someone's blog and I liked it because it is the habits of excellence in regards to healthy eating and living that I am trying to achieve right now.

One of those habits is to make sure I get my greens. In my most recent juicing experiment I used


- one bunch of kale with the ends of the stalks removed
- 2 or 3 cauliflower florets
- 1 small green pepper
- 1/3 of a carrot for sweetener


There wasn't a whole lot of juice from juicing a whole bunch of kale. I used 3 or 4 times what you see in the top photo. I didn't quite use enough carrot to cut the bitterness but it wasn't that bad especially as there wasn't a full glass of it. You can see the juice is very dark and green and I like the foam on top. For the nutritional benefits of kale, read here.

6 comments:

Jo said...

Hi Penny, you make me feel healthy (ier) when I read your blog. Blessings Jo

Joyful said...

Wonderful Jo! We all need some better health ;-) Blessings.

Kay L. Davies said...

Interesting. This is the second post I've read today about kale.
Yes, I can imagine it might take some doing to find the right balance between the carrot's sweetness and the kale's bitterness.
I've only ever used it in mashed potatoes, as they do in The Netherlands, but another friend posted that her daughter washes and dries it thoroughly, sprays it with olive oil, and bakes it, then adds salt to suit her taste.
Very interesting (and healthy) post, Penny.

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie’s Guide to Adventurous Travel

Joyful said...

Thanks for stopping by Kay. I've never had kale in mashed potatoes myself. I have heard of kale chips though. I'll have to try them some time! Have a great weekend.

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

It's been ages since I commented here but I m back. Juice is very healthy but don't forget to have fibre too . Often the fibre is lost in the juice process.,kale is popular in Europe more than here. My family is not keen on it.

Joyful said...

Hello Heidi, nice to see you. I agree about the fibre. I make sure to get as much as I can!

A Few Days in March ~ Skywatch Friday

Hello friends and fellow bloggers. I hope Spring is treating you well so far. It's been roller coaster weather where I live with mostly ...