Sunday, August 11, 2013

Travels

I've seen these kind of maps on blogs of friends.
I thought it would be fun to make one for myself so here it is.


I've done an awful lot of travelling in my lifetime but the map says I've only covered 7% of the countries of the world. I've been back to many places 2 and 3 times, especially to Australia & Kenya. I hope to cover more countries before I'm done.  Clearly I have a lot more travelling to do.

Yesterday was a very very busy day for me, catching up on washing and folding laundry, vacuuming (hoovering), emptying the vacuum canister, changing bed linens, unloading and loading the dishwasher, making salad, emptying garbage cans and a whole lot of errands to get some things for mom and some things for me as well.

I also did a lot of research on line looking for deals on duvet covers. I've narrowed it down to two possibilities, both of which are on a very good sale. I've been looking for these for a very long time but hate to pay the prices that they usually are on offer for.  I want to buy one solid coloured duvet cover for myself and one for my brother's birthday which is coming up in the Fall. Yesterday's flyers also showed a sale on two other things I need (a new tower fan and an office chair.  I've needed the chair for some time but that might have to be put off again.  Maybe I can get one for free. I always keep my eyes open for free things if they fit my need and they aren't too shabby).  I need to carefully think about each expenditure and figure out what I really need and can buy this month. Thinking two and three times before buying anything, buying on sale, or getting things for free is all part of my frugal living approach to living and to managing my finances.

The fan could potentially wait but the problem is that in my country, the fans will not be in stock again until the summer of 2014.  I can't take that chance since the fan I use in the living room sounds like it ready to quit.  Though I try not to add credit card debt, at times like this I often justify the use of  a credit card if those charges will be paid in the near future.  This is always a gamble as you never know what other expenditures come up in the meantime that are equally important.

Sometimes I dip into savings for such needs.  But again you must be careful.  If you get into this habit you will find it hard to save.  I know this because I often dip into it for needs other than travel which is what my savings are supposed to be dedicated towards.  I'm hoping to get to the point where I don't have to do that.  It would help too if I could get some donors to help the Kenyan man named Elvis. You can read about him by clicking the badge to the right of my blog. He still needs a lot of help to finish the year.

Sunday I was played out so I just relaxed. I didn't do much other than reading a very few blogs, continuing to try and get yellow stains out of my summer tops, logging my daily blood glucose, making soup and salad, and watching movies. Tomorrow I have to try and get to several accumulated "to dos" including getting to the post office.

I wish you all a great week.

8 comments:

africanaussie said...

Oh I have often wanted to do one of these - thanks for sharing the link

Kay L. Davies said...

Have to switch to my other browser to see and do this sort of thing. Will be back in the morning.
K

Denise said...

glad you shared.

Cindy said...

I've been trying really hard to be frugal, too. I have always shopped second hand, but VV is my favourite and it gets a little pricey if you find a brand new item.
My bro-in-law just informed us that he is going to Kenya this fall to teach in a Bible School over there. My sis is an RN and she will be joining him for a while.
Have a good night!

Joyful said...

Okay!

Joyful said...

Hi Cindy, It does help to be on the look out for good buys new or 2nd hand. I like thrift stores too but seldom find the things I want unless I'm looking for a book which are sold at excellent prices. So glad to hear your B-I-L and sister are going to minister in Kenya. xx

Lynda said...

It sounds like you are staying busy and productive! We have a Bed, Bath, & Beyond store in our city. Often you can get 20% off coupons for them. Right now they have clearance on some items, too but I was not drawn to any of the styles.

Joyful said...

Hi Lynda, yes it has been a busy and productive time. I hope you are having a lovely week.

A Few Days in March ~ Skywatch Friday

Hello friends and fellow bloggers. I hope Spring is treating you well so far. It's been roller coaster weather where I live with mostly ...