Saturday, November 23, 2013

Gluten Free Pineapple Carrot Muffins

If you've been following my recent experiments in baking with millet flour, you may also enjoy this recipe.  This is my favourite of the 3 recipes I've made with millet flour so far.



Ingredients
  • 1 1/4 millet flour (I used Bob Red Mills brand but you may have another brand where you live)
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking power
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons ground ginger (fresh is always nice but I used powdered ginger this time)
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 ripe banana
  • 1 cup crushed or chopped pineapple (I used a can of pineapple tidbits)
  • 2 cups finely grated carrots (next time I will use half zucchini and half carrots)

Directions 

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Combine the mashed banana with the pineapple, grated carrot, ginger, cinnamon, and sugar in a large mixing bowl.  I used a Kitchen-Aid mixer but you can also just combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix them with a wooden spoon.

In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder and baking soda,  then fold it into your wet mixture.  The batter will be very moist.

Pour into the muffin tin of your choice. I used my silicone muffin tin. When you use silicon muffin tins you must place them on a flat cookie sheet or other flat pan when putting them in the oven.



Bake 20-25 minutes. I baked 9 regular to large sized muffins with this recipe.

Notes:  Let the muffins cool before removing from the pan otherwise they will fall apart.

I find when using the silicone tin, the muffins are always very moist at the bottom, almost like pudding. Today's muffins were no exception.


These muffins are moist and tasty though a bit too sweet for my liking. Next time I will experiment a bit perhaps using only half of the sugar or substituting half of the shredded carrots with half shredded zucchini. I won't omit the banana because that whips up into a nice frothy, liquid mixture in which to mix the dry ingredients.

 
Here is a link to a site extolling the virtues of millet flour.   These days many people are turning to millet flour because it contains no gluten.  But beware.  Millet contains goitrogens, a substance that suppresses the thryoid activity and can cause goiter.

Cosmos and Cotton

I'm joining up with the lovely Hannapat for her Weekly Bake.
Please click on the photo above to join in.

This concludes my experimentation with millet flour.  I will probably use again in future as I do a lot of baking over the winter months. I will be looking to use it in loaf bread too.
Thank you for following along.

4 comments:

Mereknits said...

Those muffins look so yummy.
Hugs,
Meredith

Elisabeth said...

Penny, I have never tried millet flour...we don't have problems with reg. flour; as long as its un-bleached all-purp. we are all OK with it. Your muffin with the pineapple and banana combination sure sound delicious. I love that you didn't add a lot of sugar, which most older recipes have. Also, I notice you've added grated carrots which certainly give natural sweetness and moistness (no oils or butter needed)

Thanks for sharing; I will certainly try this healthy and yummy recipe with reg. flour (will see how it comes out, and link it back to you) xo

Ceil said...

Ooooh, that looks good! And I bet the pineapple keeps the muffins moist. Thank you for all your work experimenting while we reap the benefits!
Ceil

A Woman that Fears the Lord said...

I've never tried baking with millet. I'm using sunflower seed flour to bake muffins and cakes. It's working well and the muffins/cakes are moist. I'm trying to eat low carb so I don't use sugar. I'll have to check out the millet.

A Few Days in March ~ Skywatch Friday

Hello friends and fellow bloggers. I hope Spring is treating you well so far. It's been roller coaster weather where I live with mostly ...