Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Chocolate Goodness

With the cold weather we had over the weekend, I craved hot tea and some sweet goodness. Internet surfing led me to this chocolatey concoction. It was good enough to share.

Ingredients:

Brownies
2/3 cup (125 mL) butter
2/3 cup (150 mL) milk chocolate chips (4oz/125g)
3/4 cup (175 mL) granulated sugar
3 eggs
2 tsp (5 mL) pure vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup (175 mL) flour (I used a mix of white and whole wheat flour)
3 -4 tbsp (30 mL) unsweetened cocoa powder
Pinch of salt (I actually omitted this)
2/3 cup (150 mL) milk chocolate chips (4oz/125g) (I omitted this too. I was low on choco chips).
Topping
1 cup (250 mL) miniature marshmallows
1/3 cup (75 mL) milk chocolate chips

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC).
2. Melt together butter and chocolate chips. Cool slightly. Whisk in sugar. Whisk in eggs, one at a time and then vanilla.
3. Stir in flour, cocoa powder, salt and chocolate chips. (I omitted the salt).
4. Pour  into prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until just set (center will still be moist), sprinkle with marshmallows and chocolate chips during last 5 minutes of baking. Cool in pan on rack.

This was VERY tasty; especially good for chocolate lovers.

Notes:  I did not add the 2nd amount of chocolate chips called for. After I mixed up the batter, I realized that the original recipe was not going to produce enough batter my smallest pan. I then increased the egg (by 1), butter (by about 1/2), flour (by about 1/2, sugar (1/4 cup), and added and extra teaspoon of vanilla. The increased amounts are captured in the ingredient list above.

The end result is that the brownies were delicious but they were very soft. After sitting overnight the consistency was perfect.  I overcooked the marshmallows because I wanted to be sure the brownie mixture was fully cooked in the middle. I think next time I would wait for the brownie mixture to finish cooking and add the marshmallows for just long enough to barely melt, yet retain their shape.

8 comments:

Vores have said...

Morning Joyful.
Delicious Brownies, sometimes you just need something sweet.
There is promised storm in Denmark for weekend - maybe hurricane.
Wishing you a good Wednesday.
Hugs Hanne Bente ♥

Joyful said...

Good morning, Hanne. I do like sweets and chocolate but try not to have too many. Someone else usually eats most of it after I've had my taste. I hope your storm is not too severe. Tonight our winds have knocked out power to about 75,000 homes. My power went out too but only for a few minutes. So I was fortunate. Blessings and have a nice Wednesday too! Knus, Joyful

LV said...

I am a chocolate fanatic and this looks amazing!!!!

http://foodfashionandflow.blogspot.com/

Joyful said...

LV, thank you for your visit. Chocolate does taste so good ;-)

Urmi said...

Absolutely mouth watering and yummy chocolate goodness. I love it very much and cannot resist myself.
You are welcome at my new post-
http://urmi-z-unique.blogspot.com/

Joyful said...

Thank you for your visit Babli. I have also aready visited your last post :-)

Brenda Green said...

Joyful. this looks delicious! a break from making cookies. ooh, and the marshmallows. I love marshmallows! love me

Joyful said...

Thanks, Brenda. This dish was very easy and delicious so I'm sure you will enjoy it ;-)

A Few Days in March ~ Skywatch Friday

Hello friends and fellow bloggers. I hope Spring is treating you well so far. It's been roller coaster weather where I live with mostly ...