Wednesday, November 9, 2011

A Little Snack of Squash Seeds

I baked an acorn squash for dinner last night. The seeds were saved, cleaned and baked for a late night, delicious snack.

Washed and seasoned seeds before they go in the oven.


This food is very good if you are diabetic as it has a very low glycemic load.  The seeds are very low in cholesterol and sodium. It is also a good source of protein, vitamin K, iron and copper, and a very good source of magnesium, phosphorus and manganese.

Ingredients

  • 1 cup winter squash seeds
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste

Directions

Seeds after roasting.
  1. Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
  2. After removing the seeds from the squash, rinse with water, and remove any strings and bits of squash. Pat dry, and place in a small bowl. Stir the olive oil and salt into the seeds until evenly coated. Spread out in an even layer on the prepared baking sheet.
  3. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until seeds start to pop. Remove from oven and cool on the baking sheet before serving. 
These seeds were a little thicker than the butternut squash seeds I roasted last time.  They required a longer roasting time. I like my seeds to be roasted so that they are turning brown.

10 comments:

Kay L. Davies said...

Mmm, yum. I must remember to do that next time. We didn't have a Hallowe'en pumpkin (always a source of wonderful seeds to roast) and I love squash.

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie’s Guide to Adventurous Travel

Kilauea Poetry said...

I have to pick up some wicked slug bait..seriously, the snails and slugs are hindering my future squash harvest! Vines are nice but I'd like to set something on the table..(course I don't put it near the plant itself) Well good for you here..enjoyed the photos too. You know, pumpkin seeds sauted in a little olive oil and tamari (until they pop) then added to salad dressing for a nice mix is really flavorful. I've used them in stuffing too. That is when I pick up a little bag but you can't beat your even better home made recipe here! thanks-

Holland said...

I haven't tried Acorn Squash roasted seeds. We however did keep our pumpkin seeds and seasoned them with butter, Worcestershire sauce, garlic salt and salt, they were delicious and didn't last!!!

Joyful said...

Hi Kay, I remembered you seemed to like squash so this recipe will be an easy one for you to try. You can also add spices but with your GERTS you might want to stick to salt.

Joyful said...

Regina, the addition of tamari sounds good! I hope you were able to deal with the slug problem.

Joyful said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fred Alton said...

OMGoodness! It sure sounds good. We have never baked our own seeds to eat - but I do LOVE sunflower seeds that we buy pre-packaged. Would the outer part of this seed be edible? Or is it like the sunflower seed?

Joyful said...

Hi Fred, I found with the butternut squash seeds, I could eat the whole thing if I cooked them crispy. These ones from the acorn squash were quite thick and so I found I couldn't eat the outer part as easily. I think it really depends on the thickness of the seed and what you personally like. Give it a try!

Joyful said...

Mrs. Panda, adding all those flavours sounds yummy! Thanks for dropping by and sharing your recipe.

Vores have said...

Hello Penny.
Thanks for your comment to my garden posts.
I just put a link into the diabetic diet - maybe there is something you might want. can use.
link:
http://www.netdoktor.dk/diabetes/madtildiabetikere.htm
Do you feel better - take good care of yourself.
Wishing you a good weekend.
Hugs Hanne Bente ♥

Beautiful April Sky

Hello friends and fellow bloggers, It's a beautiful April day in Vancouver and I'm enjoying the sun.  You can see people on the stre...