(Continued from part 1 which you can read here).
I tried different ways to raise funds for the Jiko Stoves Project in Kenya. First, I tried selling photos taken in Kenya. I opened an Etsy shop. I only sold one photo but I will try again later as I feel this can still be successful. I also tried to sell home made crosses on commission. You can read here about that effort. The crosses were wonderful and I did sell some. However since they aren't mine I returned the remainder to the craftsman. I used the funds raised to pay for school needs instead of jiko stoves.
From time to time I thought of other alternatives for how to bring about energy efficiencies and I did find a fireless cooker. Read about it here. I think fireless cookers are a good thing and they are much less expensive than putting in a full stove and jiko pot. I considered going this route instead of putting into a full stove and buying jiko but 28 households in the village were waiting to have jiko stoves like the first set of 11 women. I also felt that a proper stove and pot would be a better investment over the long term in helping improve the lives of these village women and children.
I scour the internet a lot. One day through Simon, one of my blogging contacts, I was encouraged to have hope that I could really find an answer to the dilemma of the jiko stove needs. Simon suggested I could get a mold (cast) made and the villagers could build their own stoves. Simon also kindly provided me some information as to where to get the building plans. The challenge then became how to find the carpenter, how much to pay him and how to get the actual stoves built in the village huts because this process requires taking the mold from house to house and the houses are rather far apart.
I discussed it with my Pastor friend, Pastor Jonah and he agreed to find a carpenter. After a few weeks of communicating with my Kenyan friend about the various ins and outs of the project and working on and tweaking the budget, I gave the "green" light to Pastor Jonah to look for a carpenter. This wasn't as simple as it sounds. Pastor Jonah had to speak to several carpenters and show them the building plans. Some of them would not even consider trying to follow the plans for building the mold. I could in fact understand why. When I look at the diagrams and instructions, they seem very complicated. I imagine that some of the village carpenters might not read very well and so could not follow the instructions. I also concluded that some of them probably have a few projects they make and limit their work to those things which they know they can sell. I am so glad we did find someone who would take on the challenge! He is obviously someone who is a bit more adventurous and willing to take on new things.
The first attempt at building the mold was a little rusty in that the lines of the wood were crooked.
|First attempt was a little crooked|
After the carpenters adjustments, the mold looks beautiful!
|Two days later we had this wonderfully finished mold to make the stoves.|
Come back again soon and see the work they have accomplished. ....to be continued