- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 3/4 cup molasses (black treacle if you live in Africa)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 gently rounded tablespoons unsweetened chocolate (I used cocoa powder)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (I used a mix of white and whole wheat)
- 1 cup of oatmeal (or enough to make a drop cookie batter, see photo)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar; beat in eggs, vanilla and salt, beating until well blended. Beat in chocolate and stir in flour and chopped walnuts. Add oatmeal until you have the desired consistency.
Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart on well-greased baking sheet.I have a coated sheet so I did not grease the pan.
Bake in preheated 350° oven 10 minutes, or until edges are crisp. Cool for 1 minute; remove to rack to cool completely.
I enjoyed these cookies. You can readily taste the molasses, chocolate and nuts. If you don't like the strong flavour of molasses you could substitute about 1 cup of sugar for the molasses. I've read that the treacle is not as dark as molasses so I'm assuming that molasses also gives the cookie a stronger flavour.
Enjoy the cookies with hot tea or milk.