See what it was a few days ago. Not a lot of snow perhaps but it was stuck like glue to the patio and it didn't melt.
Monday afternoon it looked like the photo to the left.
|This is the view on a clearer day.|
The weather is also perfect for a bowl of hot, steaming soup. I am low on my core vegetables today as I haven't bought any in a week. My soup therefore omits carrots.
- brown a pound or so of minced beef (ground beef)
- chop one large onion into chunks and add to the beef
- chop two celery stalks and add to the beef and onions
- add several splashes of soy sauce and brown this mixture all together, stirring occasionally
- add 1 1/2 cups of brown rice to the browned beef and veggies and cook for a few minutes
- add several leaves of chopped kale leaves and continue stirring
- add about 6 -8 cups of water and boil
Cook this mixture until the rice has softened, then check to see whether you need more water and seasonings. I always find the water has boiled down a lot because my burners only really cook on the highest heat. I like to add more water at this stage and assess the taste of things.
At this point, I added
- a few shakes (1 tsp. or so) of oregano seasoning
- a few more splashes of soy sauce (to taste)
- add 3 medium, chopped potatoes
- add 1 large, chopped yam
- add one large can of stewed tomatoes or add several chopped fresh tomatoes.
Simmer together until the rice and potatoes are fully cooked. Keep an eye on things and stir occasionally.
|It was delicious!|
It is also a perfect day to finish reading my latest book, Assault on Reason by Al Gore, former US President. What an eye opening book! Very informative and fully referenced with resource material for any skeptic among you. I highly recommend reading this book.
What activities do you like doing on a gray or rainy day?
|Click here to see more beautiful places in the world and what people are doing there!|