Saturday, May 18, 2013

Kobo Quote

The average person reads fewer than 100 books in their lifetime.

How many have you read?
(Kobo quote)

I've read far more than 100 books but not nearly as many books as I'd like to read. That is one of the reasons I now set reading goals every year.  Though my goals are modest in comparison to other readers I find that goals do help me focus and remind me that I need to pick up and read a new book every now and then.  I've also found that reading goals have helped get me into a rhythm and practice of reading and so I've easily met and surpassed my goals both last year and this year.  I can either increase my reading goals or have time for other goals. I like to try and have a balance. Reading goals are also helping me focus more on  Bible studies and other studies.

Many people say that they read a lot more on their e-readers. I have a device that I can read books on but I still read paper books. I don't yet get the same enjoyment from reading on a device but that may change.

Some things I do like about an e-reader is that you can download lots of free books onto it. The other nice thing is you can have many books going at the same time and dog ear the pages. I don't like putting dog ears on paper books so I usually use a book mark or a piece of paper. Often they fall out and I lose my place. Sometimes it takes me awhile to find my place again, lol. Do you have that problem too? I also like the fact that if you go on vacation you can take an e-reader along and it holds far more books than you can carry or read on a holiday.

My e-reader only holds a charge for perhaps just over 2 weeks. I often forget to turn the wi-fi off and so that takes a lot of power. It is actually much more than an -reader. I can check email, play games, take photos and videos, check the news, etc. I have many books on their now but seldom use it for reading.

I've just ordered a mini-reader and I'm waiting for it to come it. It holds a charge for up to a month. That is long enough for most holidays. It also allows me to borrow books from the library. I can do that now with Adobe Digital Edition but I haven't set it up to sync with all my "gadgets".  With my new mini reader it will already be set up to allow me to borrow books.  I  think this is going to be a great feature and I've been adding books to my library "read later" list so I am reader to borrow them when the mini reader arrives.

I bought the mini reader at $20. off the regular price and they are giving me 5 free books($15.00 value) though not exactly books in my favourite genre. I cancelled a book order from Amazon which has been on back order for some time. I found out I can borrow the book I cancelled from the library on my e-reader. Altogether these savings  have virtually paid for my mini-reader and I haven't even started using it yet.

I purchased a black case to go around this mini-reader which is small enough to fit into a man's shirt pocket. It also has different size fonts so you can enlarge to your heart's content.


If you have a mini-reader I'd love to hear how you are enjoying it.

4 comments:

Denise said...

I love to read.

Jan said...

Interesting. Goodreads says I have read 98 books and they are just the ones I've listed on there so I am sure I have read more than 100. I don't read as much as I would like due to work and choosing to chill(or maybe numb) with other things such as the internet or TV. I have an e-reader but seem to have stopped using it and gone back to "real books" just lately. I like to have a pile of books all on the go at the same time so maybe I'll get back to my e-reader. How mini is your mini e-reader then. My eyes are not so good so I would worry I would struggle. I have read one book on my phone however and that is tiny.

Joyful said...

Hi Jan, the mini reader has a 5 inch touch screen and weights just under 5 ounces. It fits nicely into a man's shirt pocket. For me it will fit easily into any bag I carry. I understand your concern about being able to read the print. That is why the mini-reader sounds like a good fit for an older reader. They use some kind of ink that makes the page like a real book and you can adjust the fonts in terms of type and size. I think it gives you 8 font choices.

clairz said...

I use my e-reader only on vacations, but I do like the fact that I can borrow e-books from our library. I occasionally will buy an e-book if there is a book I really want to read but can't access any other way. I'm too much of a librarian to want to pay for many books, though.

A Few Days in March ~ Skywatch Friday

Hello friends and fellow bloggers. I hope Spring is treating you well so far. It's been roller coaster weather where I live with mostly ...