Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookies for Those Who Love Chocolate

Welcome to my newest follower, Snow white who lives in Nara, Japan.
Dōmo arigatō (thank you). Hajimemashite (nice to meet you).

Every since I found out I was diabetic I have not been baking as much as before. I miss baking cookies and eating a cookie while drinking my tea.  Lately it has been cold and windy here and  Tuesday night was no exception. I went on line and found this easy recipe for chocolate chip cookies.  These cookies are different from others I have tried because you add cocoa to the mixture.

Recipe Ingredients:

3/4 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 tbsp water if dough is dry ( I had to add a bit of water)
1/4 cup chopped walnuts ( I added some leftover pecan nuts as I don't have any walnuts)
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips

The mixed cookie batter.

Recipe Instructions:

Beat together the oil, sugar, and egg. Add the rest of the
ingredients and stir to blend well. Let stand for 10 minutes. Drop
by spoonfuls, about 1 inch apart, onto a lightly oiled baking sheet.
Bake for about 8 - 10 minutes (or until done) at about 375 F.
My batter  made 30 cookies.

There are two cookie shapes here, one round and one flattened with a fork tine.

One cookie - 106 calories, 1 starch/bread, 1 fat exchange 2 g
protein, 18 g carbohydrate, 6 g fat, 124 mg sodium

Quick & Easy Diabetic Menus by Betty Wedman, M.S., R.D. 1993 ISBN
0-8092-3853-5

These cookies were tasty and not too sweet but flavourful enough with the added cocoa. The cookies are also a bit crispy.

11 comments:

Diane said...

They sound delicious, I am not mad about anything too sweet so I will try these out. Thanks. Diane

Joyful said...

Aw, yes, I think you will find them to your taste. They were to mine :-)

Jan said...

Glad you found some cookies to your taste, Penny. When we were young, we only had cocoa for chocolate flavour, chocolate chips came later.
Blessings,
Jan

Joyful said...

Hi Jan, I remember when I was young, we used cocoa a lot also. I don't remember seeing any chocolate chips until much later too ;-)

Kilauea Poetry said...

I might just try these out tomorrow! These look like my kind of desert!! I have everything I need, but as far as nuts I only have almonds. I made Ghirardelli (cookies instead of the brownies) (box). I always make mine from scratch but thought I'd give it a try as it's been a long time. I didn't enjoy them nearly as much as from scratch. Ya duh ..anyway..thanks- hope you have a cozy but warm evening!

Joyful said...

Hi Regina, these cookies don't really need nuts so skip them if you like. I found mine very nice with pecans though. I just had a few leftover from something I made in the Fall, lol. My evening was quite ok. I made tea, chatted with friends, talked to mom by phone and continued making a crocheted baby sweater. First time with this pattern. It takes me awhile to figure out new patterns. After the first time, it goes much quicker.

Joyful said...

The cookies are yummy, Bossy Betty ;-)

Joyful said...

The cookies are yummy, Bossy Betty ;-)

Joyful said...

Hi Jan, I remember when I was young, we used cocoa a lot also. I don't remember seeing any chocolate chips until much later too ;-)

Joyful said...

They sound delicious, I am not mad about anything too sweet so I will try these out. Thanks. Diane

Joyful said...

Aw, yes, I think you will find them to your taste. They were to mine :-)

A Few Days in March ~ Skywatch Friday

Hello friends and fellow bloggers. I hope Spring is treating you well so far. It's been roller coaster weather where I live with mostly ...