Monday, February 21, 2011

Ditchin' the Stitchin' - At Least for Now

Thank you to my newest follower Clavs. What an interesting user name.
I do hope you will enjoy the blog and that I will see you again soon :-)

I started this little project a week ago (over two weekends.....


I thought it was fairly close to finished when I featured the above photo on Wednesday. See post here.

It turns out there was still a fair bit of finishing to do. I didn't take photos of each stage of the process but there was the need to add to each sleeve as well as add a few rows of edgings about the neck and front.

After sleeves were added.

Then came the buttons and the ribbon.  Whew, I'm glad that little "baby" is done. Here is what it looks like.

After edgings, ribbons and buttons were added.  A few close ups are added below.

Sorry about the exposure on this one.
 
I also made this bonnet but I know I didn't make it right. Somewhere along the line I couldn't make sense of the pattern so I made the rest of it up. It didn't quite pan out. I've written to the pattern designer to see if she can help me with understanding her instructions. I'll  be interested in seeing if she will write me back as I've pointed out 4 problems (for me) in the pattern.
Here are the bonnet and the sweater together. It also comes with a  pattern for booties & trousers but at this point I don't have enough of this pink yarn to make the booties & trousers.  I don't like this yarn very much so likely won't use it again after I use up the blue, green & yellow stash I have.
Now I have a question for you. Someone I know has asked me how much I would want for this little sweater jacket.  I haven't a clue but I know that this person is usually very thrifty when it comes to paying for handcrafted items. In other words, she won't pay much.  I've done some research on the internet and this little item goes for anywhere from $40-$70 US, on Etsy and other internet shops. On Ebay the bidding is started at $30 US with the obvious hope that the final bid will be higher. On these sites the sweater generally sells as a set which includes a bonnet and a pair of booties.

Update:  I was able to get some clarifications from the pattern designer for this sweater and bonnet so I've corrected some of my errors and kept other modifications to make it my own.
Here is a back view of the bonnet.

Here is a front view of the bonnet. I've added the ribbon on the bottom edge.  I need to get a life size doll to model the bonnets and sweaters in future. I'll have to check out some thrift stores. I did check one already but didn't find anything other than stuff toys and one doll with a giant head.
I didn't make any crocheted changes to the sweater but I did move the ribbon up one row. I think it looks better this way as it doesn't cut off the sleeves and shortens the yoke so that it is more of a normal baby size.  You can see what I mean by comparing to the second photo from the top of this post.
This little sweater set is now ready to show my friend or to sell on Etsy.

  What would you pray for such a little set if you were buying it for a gift? 
I'll be looking forward to your answers.

17 comments:

Diane said...

Having no babies anywhere in our family for many years, I would not have a clue about prices, but if you take in all the hours of work you have done I would go with the highest price you can get :) It is beautiful Diane

Bossy Betty said...

What a sweet little jacket? I have no idea about the price, though. How about $40.00?

Inger said...

I have no idea, but it sure is pretty.--Inger

Linda said...

Hi, I just discovered your blog and see that I have a lot in common with you. As an empty-nester I moved to Kenya for 8 years with Wycliffe Bible Translators. I've only started looking over your blog but see many photos and topics that are SO familiar to me! I'm looking forward to reading more.

Linda Thomas

Unknown said...

Very cute, very sweet.

Joyful said...

DIANE, thank you for giving me your perspective. I think I need to save the higher prices for when I get a bit more practice and if I decide to sell what I make to those who appreciate the time it takes to make something from scratch :-)

Joyful said...

BOSSY BETTY, I think you probably have hit on a fair price for the jacket alone. With booties and bonnet, I would say $50 but I don't think my friend will be interested in paying $50. She might be interested in spending $40. so that means no booties, no bonnet, lol.

Joyful said...

INGER, thank you for looking and for your sweet comment.

Joyful said...

LINDA, I do appreciate the new follow. That is very sweet of you. I'm also enjoying reading of your adventures in missionary work.

Joyful said...

Thank you, EVELYN!

Julie said...

Hi, Thanks for coming to my blog! I love this baby outfit. I am 54 years old and I have found that what I want to pay for something, I generally triple it...so I would say around 15-20 dollars, so that means you can ask 45-60 without any problem!!! :) Best wishes!!!

Joyful said...

Hi Julie, thank for stopping by. Do you mean triple the cost of the materials used to make the item? That's a good rule of thumb if that is what you mean.

Diane said...

Joyful I agree with you if you want to make things to sell you need to make items that are fairly quick. Time factor in the beautiful jacket you have just made means you really don't get back what it is worth. Diane

Joyful said...

Diane, I'm still glad I made this pattern as I need to learn how to read a variety of patterns. I'd make something like this for a special gift for a baby of a friend or a grandchild of a friend. I have a few patterns that look like they'd be much quicker to make.

Joyful said...

Diane, I'm still glad I made this pattern as I need to learn how to read a variety of patterns. I'd make something like this for a special gift for a baby of a friend or a grandchild of a friend. I have a few patterns that look like they'd be much quicker to make.

Joyful said...

Hi, Thanks for coming to my blog! I love this baby outfit. I am 54 years old and I have found that what I want to pay for something, I generally triple it...so I would say around 15-20 dollars, so that means you can ask 45-60 without any problem!!! :) Best wishes!!!

Joyful said...

INGER, thank you for looking and for your sweet comment.

City Gardens, Weather & Cooking

Hello dear friends and fellow bloggers, Time passed too quickly this month and before you know it May will be here.  With it's return th...