Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Look What I'm Making ~ Part Two

Monday was an exceptionally busy day. I went to my quilting class in the morning after packing all night and half the morning.  My brother thought I was crazy to go to quilting class on moving day, lol, but frankly I needed a diversion and a stress buster and this class seems to do the trick. I also want to finish the quilt for mom to have it in her new home.

While I was at my class I found out mom was going to be moved from the hospital to the nursing home on Tuesday morning. Yikes! So much to do and so little time. We were of course expecting the transfer and we are pleased it happened so soon but we were also very surprised to have things move so quickly.  I thought I would be here another week and a half or two, preparing things for the move.

Though I have been busy packing and my brother and nephew have been busy moving furniture, there is just so much to do. Ready or not the end of the month is here and the apartment has to be cleared out pronto.   We are working as fast as we can.  Tuesday we managed to move most of mom's things to the nursing home and I had to deal with a lot of administrative and financial matters. These matters continue on Wednesday and I will also be setting mom's room up properly with her photos and things.I hope to finish the quilt too or most of it.

I learned how to cut out and attached the internal and external borders. My instructor is behind the quilt cover and holding it up for me to take a photo.
This is a close up with the two borders sewn on and the batting and quilt back attached and ready to be quilted.

This is the quilt after I've attached the backing and borders with a seam or two and cut off the excess batting.  I only have Wednesday to try and finish the quilt as well as finish packing so I was up late again. After the progress seen in the photo above, I am machine quilting by making a bit of a border/margin around each sections of the quilt cover. I am rushing this process a bit and it will have do.  Wednesday I hope to attach the binding and give it to mm

It is now almost 1:30 a.m. and I'd better get to sleep.

9 comments:

Diane said...

I am impressed and it is beautiful. Glad your mother is moving out of the hospital so soon. Take care, Diane

Jan said...

WOW... fiting all that in... well done, you muat have lots of energy to consider the quilt with all the moving and cleaning to be done.
Hugs,
Jan

Rhonda said...

Joyful, very pretty quilt.
and your brother is right, most people don't go to quilting class on moving day :)

Bossy Betty said...

Beautiful quilts! Good luck with the move. Hope your mom is doing well.

Lonicera said...

So pretty - well done! I just can't do stuff like that. I've been catching up on your recent posts, and have particularly enjoyed the ones about Kenya. It shines through how you love the place.
Caroline

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

You are taking on a task dear to my heart. lovely craft :)

Joyful said...

Beautiful quilts! Good luck with the move. Hope your mom is doing well.

Joyful said...

WOW... fiting all that in... well done, you muat have lots of energy to consider the quilt with all the moving and cleaning to be done.
Hugs,
Jan

Joyful said...

I am impressed and it is beautiful. Glad your mother is moving out of the hospital so soon. Take care, Diane

A Few Days in March ~ Skywatch Friday

Hello friends and fellow bloggers. I hope Spring is treating you well so far. It's been roller coaster weather where I live with mostly ...