Saturday, February 5, 2011

I'm Home and a New Chapter Begins

Hello friends,

I've been away for almost two weeks in the interior of the province. I've been visiting mom at the hospital, packing up and clearing out my mom's apartment, readying things for her move to the nursing home and making  her a "welcome home' quilt. (If you like you can see the finished quilt here).

She is now in the home and her personal things are with her. Photos are on the wall (I forgot to take a picture of them) and her bookshelf is set up with her TV, small stereo system, a few books and even more CDs. Her other mobility aids are with her. They are still settling her in and she hasn't really gotten into the routine yet. Everything is done very systematically there and it takes time.


Mom is chomping at the bit to get up and around. She also misses her telephone which unfortunately took a few days to connect. She should be able to make phone calls to her heart's content after today.  I think it is hard to make the adjustments in the transition as everything is so completely different. She is now on someone else's schedule and not really in charge of herself. Someone else will decide what she can eat and a whole lot of other things but overall I think the changes will be beneficial. They already have her blood sugar at normal level. I am confident that once mom is able to get around and explore, she will be very happy there and she is looking forward to be able to get around.

As for me, I got home last night and I now have a lot of mom's things to sort through and organize to put away in my own home. Some of it will replace things I have which will go to the thrift store. I also have my own major decluttering project I am working on so this project has expanded.  As I won't have to travel to visit mom on such a strict schedule, I will have more ability to get things done at home and my visits to mom will be real visits as opposed to trips to get things done for her. I will likely also need an adjustment period but an adjustment of a different kind. I am relieved that mom is now in a place where they can monitor her and help her though to be honest it hasn't really sunk in yet as I've been far too busy.


I have been extremely tired over the past week and I can't believe I didn't go to sleep very early last night. I didn't even sleep in this morning. I'm now getting ready to go out and get my hair done as it is in dire need of a refreshing.

I want to thank all of you who stopped by to comment on my blog posts over the past two weeks. It means a lot to me. Please accept my apologies for not being able to respond to the comments or spend as much time looking at your blogs. Now that I am home and have much more bandwidth to use, I can review and comment on blogs again. I will also be uploading more photos and resuming my series on Kenya.

In the meantime I leave you with these beautiful photos of spring blossoms which will soon appear here in  my city.  I also want to wish you all an awesome and refreshing weekend.

12 comments:

Colleen said...

Welcome home!

I am praying and hoping that your mother has a very easy and smooth transition. You sounds as though you have been a loving help to her. I hope you also find the time you need to rest and replenish your strength and energy.

God bless.

Love Colleen

Joyful said...

Thank you for your welcome home, Colleen. I am glad to be back though initially I was reluctant to leave mom so soon. I think probably after a few days with her while she in nursing home she now needs a bit of time by herself to adjust to her new surroundings. I am looking forward to a rest and replenishment and to some small group study at my church. God bless you too :-)

Jan said...

Dear Penny, I think Collen said it all!
Yes I'm sure you have been a wonderful blessing in the situation, and as you say, it is a new chapter for you and your Mom.
With love and hugs,
Jan

Joyful said...

Aw Jan, you are very kind and I know you too are a blessing to the seniors at the nursing homes where you perform. God bless. xx

The Professor's Wife said...

Glad you are home! It must be a relief to have your mom closer by -she sure is blessed to have you! Hope you get some well deserved rest soon!

Joyful said...

Hello Professor's Wife, actually my mom isn't closer by. She is in the same city where she always was. She is no longer able to travel except by medivan or a special bus. But at least now she will have 24 hour medical care.

Penelope Notes said...

Transitions can be so difficult at times but this one could turn out to be very “joyful” for both you and your mom. It’s always a relief not to have worries about the safety of elderly loved ones. Sounds like both will return to a lighter side of life once the adjustment period is over. :)

Diane said...

So pleased that all has gone to plan. I am sure that once your Mum settles she will be very happy. I have a couple of relations who were very stubborn about going into a nursing home, once they settled they wondered why they had not done it before!! Take care. Diane

Joyful said...

Penelope, I agree that this situation, once the transition is made,will likely turn out to be quite "joyful" ;-) I know it is a relief for me that she will be cared for and I believe it also is for her since she had a fall just before her last trip to the hospital.

Joyful said...

Diane, yes all has gone according to plan. It was a bit of a rush since we had only 24 hours notice to get things organized and 3 days to get her apartment cleared out but all was done. Once mom finally agreed in October to go into a nursing home she was looking forward to it but there is of course an adjustment period. In a few weeks all should be routinized and she should be settling in quite well.

Inger said...

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post, I really appreciate it, particularly after finding out how busy you have been. I'm glad that your mothers sugars are getting under control and I hope you are doing OK as well. I also hope your mother will settle in and be happy in her new home. I know that will be a great relief for you. And I do love Joyful. It's such a wonderful name for a blog.--Inger

Joyful said...

You're very welcome, Inger. Thank you for your kind thoughts for my mom and I.

Hello New Week

Hello friends and fellow bloggers, I hope you are all doing well. In my corner of the world, I've been enjoy all the lovely tree blossom...