Sunday, May 5, 2013

Renovations

I've been making good progress on my goals this year.  Some of the obvious progress has been on my hobbies (reading, crafts and more recently the garden) but I've also made progress on my spiritual goals, home and family, health & lifestyle and financial goals. It's been hard work but I've managed to pay off two debts and make a very modest increase to my savings and my giving to the mission field. I've only been able to do the latter by eliminating debt. I hope to be able to continue in this vein in the coming years by continuing to do careful shopping, watch my spending and not incur new debts. It is a challenge.  I have some huge financial goals to reach before I hit the magic age of 65.

One big goal I had for this year is to cost out some modest renovations.  This week I will have a renovator come in for a consultation and let me know how much it would cost to attend to the large and small projects I have. The renovator is also an architect and so he can do drawings in addition to the actual work. He came recommended by a woman from my women's group.  His rates are incredibly reasonable because he works alone and as a bit of a hobby after his day job.  I've seen some of his prior work in photos and will try to speak to some of his past clients too.


After the fire a few years ago, all the interior walls of the condo had to be torn down and reconstructed and the insulation replaced. New carpeting had to be laid also.


I've been living in my place now for several years and the cabinetry, tiles and fixtures in many of the living areas are looking rather old and tired. I'm spurred on by the local downturn in the real estate market.  If you want to appeal to today's buyer and make sure your property is highly saleable, then you really need to make upgrades that are more in keeping with the fresh, modern look that most of the buyers are after.

This is what renovations looked like a few years ago.  The main bathroom was the only room that got a major overhaul  (new light fixtures, new tub tiles and flooring tiles) but I don't have a current photo. I don't like the tile flooring we selected so may change this and a few smaller things.

I also want to make the changes for my own sake.  I have never liked the finishing that many condos are made with, such as stock white kitchen cabinetry that are made of some kind of pressed board, marble surround fireplaces, laminate counter tops and tile floors (which are cold and very hard on the feet).  One of my bathrooms was updated after the fire several years ago but the master bathroom was not. It will be a chance to find out what kinds of less expensive changes I can make to give it new life.

Once my reno guy comes over, he will draw up some plans and cost estimates.  I will then know what I can actually move forward with in the coming months and what might have to wait until next year.  I will try to remember to take before and after photos as I think things are going to look very different. I'm excited although it will be a bit of a challenge to "sandwich" the renovations in between travels and visitors.

In preparation for my consultation, I'm decluttering once again. I'm finally getting rid of a lot of fabric I inherited. After holding onto it for 2 1/2 years I know I won't likely be using it. Actually some of the fabric I bought myself quite a long while ago and I no longer  wish to make whatever it was I had in mind. I've also got more books to offload and yarns and crochet thread to someone who can make use of them. Slowly and bit by bit I'm getting through the clutter but still have more to get rid of especially in the crafting department. In this area, I like to sort carefully because it is expensive to replace everything and sometimes hard to find certain things.  The decluttering never really stops as one is always buying something.  But slowly, I am retraining myself not to spend what I don't need to and eventually I'm hoping to get to the point of a more streamlined household.


19 comments:

Rhodesia said...

Renovation is hard work, but then I guess you will not be renovating a 200 year old house so it may come a little easier! Don't over do it and take care Diane

Joyful said...

Thank you for the advice Diane. I know you have a lot of experience. Hopefully I will keep my renovations simple. I do remember the renos during the fire. Those went on and on and I wasn't living in house while they were occurring. It was hard enough then.

Jo said...

Hi Penny, this looks like a great project and with that renovator, I'm sure things will go to plan and budget. We're renovating at home in SA; of course, we don't feel the discomfort as we're living in EA while it's taking place. However, these company houses (one of which we live in here in Tz) which are over 50 years old are going to be almost gutted in the near future and fixed up. We'll move into a "re-done" house around the corner when our house is being done. there will be no shamba so hopefully the contractors finish within a month or so else my cats will become total couch potatoes! Reading about your de-cluttering makes me want to go and clear out my bedroom chest of drawers and diningroom glass-fronted cabinet! Blessings and hugs Jo

Jan said...

That sounds all very organised Penny, you are so inspiring with your goals. I am decluttering and sorting cupboards at the moment to try to make more space now our household is expanding. It feels good. I could spend all my days doing this just now if I didn't have to go to work! It seems never ending as my Mister is a bit of a hoarder and like me is more of an implusive character rather than a planner. Disaster really the two of us ;).

Joanne Noragon said...

Going debt free is the kindest thing you can do for yourself. As you found, suddenlly your have money to fund your dreams.

EG CameraGirl said...

You'll have a huge weight off your mind when you are totally debt free!

KT said...

I worked as an architect for 13 years, and then the bad economy forced me out. I do miss it and have been thinking about going back for a while now. But, alas, the health care issue remains in play...with my recurrent skin cancer, I need health care - but architects in the US either have poor policies and/or don't have it at all. :(

Anyhow - operation declutter! I need to get back to it as well. Unfortunately time has been hard to come by recently.

Linda said...

Your organization and discipline and goal-setting are so admirable. Thank you for your example for how to do it! I hope your remodel goes well.

Linda

i am pam said...

just like you I'm working towards being debt free which means new shopping habit as well. It feels good. Good luck with the house projects. I'll keep checking in!

Denise said...

Praying for you, good luck on this journey to financial freedom my friend.

clairz said...

Penny, you are always an inspiration. Like tossing a penny (!) into a fountain and seeing the ripples spread far and wide. You probably have no idea how far the influence of your good example might spread.

By the way, I recently heard that Canada has done away with the penny coin. Is that true?

tiptoethruphylsgarden.blogspot.com said...

You are inspiring me to declutter.Since my mom died last year,I have things as well as my own,& it hard to let go.phyllis

Jacqui said...

Good luck on all your renovations! It's nice to meet you! :)

Joyful said...

Hi Phyllis, I totally understand as I have accumulated some things from two loved ones. Over time you will be able to let go of a little more and a little more. Whatever you keep shouldn't be a burden to you but help you remember your mom in a good way. Hugs. xx

Joyful said...

Those are very kind words, Clair. "Yes" Canada did get rid of the penny. I was very sad when that happened.

Joyful said...

Thanks for your kind words Linda. I hope you are doing well!

Joyful said...

KT, I empathize with your health care issue. I'm very fortunate that most of what I need is covered by my insurance. Not everything and those things that aren't covered make a big difference. But I realize I'm fortunate. Take care!

Joyful said...

Thanks Jan! I know what it is to hang on to things though would call myself "sentimental". Good thing I don't have a big house to keep everything in! Good luck with your decluttering and sorting.

Joyful said...

Wow Jo, two renovation projects at the same time! Lucky you don't have to live in the same place while either of them are going on. I do hope the one in Tz goes quickly so the cats can have their shamba back quickly. I know how they love to be outside.

Beautiful April Sky

Hello friends and fellow bloggers, It's a beautiful April day in Vancouver and I'm enjoying the sun.  You can see people on the stre...