Monday, June 4, 2018

The Little Patio Garden


The little garden has been keeping me quite busy with buying soil, mulch, more plants and pots to plant in. It hasn't rained much since I planted and I'm finding it hard to get the garden watered just right.  Behind the table there are more plants and plants in containers which I will feature as the garden matures. Many of the plants I bought were so root bound making it very difficult to get the water right where it needs to go even though I tried to break up the roots.  It's one of the reasons I'm spending more time than usual trying to make the garden grow.  I hope my efforts bear success and that everything will look a lot better in a few weeks.

Only two small strawberry plants are planted this year.  But I've been able to harvest a few small berries a few times already.  They make a nice little treat.  Maybe next year I'll be fortunate enough to find more strawberry starter plants or I'll get started earlier and plant my own seeds.  In the meantime I'm happy for what I do have and the little birds, bees and butterflies will have something to feast on.  I'm less happy about the big rat that ate all of my veggies last year before I could.  My neighbours only grow flowers so I guess he doesn't eat those. If my corn stalks grow the squirrel might come back. I really only try to grow corn for the squirrel to eat.



In the photo is a pile of my latest reading stash from the library. I've finished the book at the top of the pile, Bride of New France, about girls from a convent in Paris who make the voyage to Canada to settle with the men who came over before hand to trap for furs. It was a very interesting work of fiction based on history.

The other books are to whet my appetite for gardening in my small space.



Thanks for stopping by.
Enjoy your week.

Linking up with 

22 comments:

Annie said...

The garden is wonderful.I hope you get them to grow like you want them to. It can be a lot of work but it is worth it in the end I think.
The book about the brides sounds interesting and I am going to look for it at the library.
I have wild strawberries in my yard but the birds get to them before I can. I figure its their food anyway.
Hope you have a good week.

Jesh StG said...

hello - don't understand you cannot see the photos in my post. Hope you'll come back in a day. If you still can't see them, please let me know, because then there's something wrong! Your garden looks cute, I hope you have a great time this summer to develop it (yeah, it's easy to spend on garden supplies:):))

Klara said...

your garden is marvelous; what a wonderful corner to rest.

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

No matter the size a garden feeds the soul.

Penelope Postcards said...

What a sweet patio garden you have! I understand your dilemma about growing vegetables. It seems all wildlife expect any garden is an equal opportunity place to dine so you never know what critter will come by for a meal.

shayndel said...

Love your "little" patio garden, though to us here in Japan it looks very big!!
Hope it all grows well and you enjoy many new discoveries, both through your reading and gardening!!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, your patio and garden look great. I love strawberries, it is nice to grow your own berries. We grow blueberries and the birds usually eat most of them before we are able to pick them. The Bride of New France sounds interesting. Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day!

magiceye said...

Happy gardening! Nothing like enjoying the fruits of labour!

Red said...

Awesome quote on gardening. The quote could apply to many more situations in life.

Kami Gimenez said...

so inspiring!!! And I'm so jealous. :o) I think I would have my coffee every morning on your patio.

Joanne Noragon said...

A great garden surround you have started there.

Rhodesia said...

You are lucky to have a patio where you can have lots of plants. You obviously have a green thumb it looks good. Takr care and enjoy the week Diane

Victor S E Moubarak said...

You've certainly planted some lovely flowers. I'm now experimenting with planting in pots rather than straight in the ground. Small success with lavender, total failure with sun flowers. Mediocre results with roses. As your quote says: Not mistakes - experiments.

God bless.

carol l mckenna said...

Delightful photo of your very lush garden ~ and neat books ~

I just watched a movie about Mary Reynolds ~ the youngest landscaper to win the Gold Medal at Chelsea gardens so I bought her book ~ very different approach ~ it is entitled ~ The Garden Awakening ~ check it out ~ might not be something you like but I like her concepts ~

Happy Times to you,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Joyful said...

Thank you Carol. I will check out the book!

Mari said...

Your little garden looks very nice and fresh produce will be wonderful!

affectioknit said...

...what an AWESOME patio!

~Have a lovely day!

Jeanie said...

Bride of New France sounds especially interesting to me. It reminds me of the history we learned when we were in Quebec last year.

My little potted garden is moving along -- slow but sure!

Angie said...

Love the quote - I find gardening is much more enjoyable if one considers it an experiment … then, no matter what happens, you're happy!

Aritha V. said...

What a nice patio you have. I also have plants in pots. LOVE it.

Sharon said...

What a pleasant garden! I love that quote about no gardening mistakes. Not sure I agree, as a lot of my plants do not do well, but I keep trying!

italiafinlandia said...

Your patio garden is very pretty...and must be the surrounding landscape!

The Last Weekend

Hello friends and fellow bloggers, I hope you are all doing well.   We've had a few beautiful days of sunshine. Now we are in the very l...