Thursday, February 20, 2020

A Bit of Sunshine

We've broken records for rainfall in 2020 and I haven't felt much like taking photos.  When we get a few days of sunshine like we have over the past several days, it is a pure joy.

There were multiple signs of spring on a recent outing.  I don't think I've ever noticed these pussy willows in previous years.




I hurriedly snapped a few photos with my phone's camera of both the pussy willows and the croci.


Croci coming up

Indoors I'm babying these small Fiddle Leaf Fig plants purchased in December.  I've managed to keep them alive through the cold winter months and they will be ready to be repotted in a few weeks time.

Two new leaves have come out since mid-December (the small ones at the top).

When I purchased the two plants this one in the top photo didn't look like it would survive.  The large leaf at the top had some holes in it. I'm not sure what causes the problem but it doesn't seem to have gotten any worse. I've called her Mary.

The other plant looked healthier but was very slow to grow a new leaf. One has come out and a second one has been looking to sprout over the past week or more. It might take awhile longer.  I've called this one Harry and he is a big brother to Mary. 

I've heard it said that one should talk to their plants.  This idea has been around since the late 1800s and has actually been a subject of a small study. You can read more about it here.  I've never been one for talking to plants but I try it now and then. Truth be told, long ago when my late mom started growing indoor plants, she talked to them because she heard from someone that talking to them helped them grow.  She had tremendous success with her plants.


The smaller, lighter green leaf in front is the new one. Can you see the little green shoot coming out?

I'll be linking up with Skywatch Friday this week.

 Thank you for stopping by.

19 comments:

Lady Fi said...

Lovely shots. Early signs of spring here too.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! Spring is coming!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, lovely images. I am glad the rain stopped and the sun was shining. Pretty plant. Enjoy your day, wishing you a great weekend!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I love the light on the trees. Spring is coming!!

Red said...

My son's comment on Maple Ridge weather,"It rained on 30 of 31 days in January and tomorrow we get a break...it's going to snow!"

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Lovely signs of spring, and I love your cute new plants, "Harry and Mary". I do hope they will respond to your TLC and sweet conversations...and they may just grow big and strong and happy because you love them!! I think that is a wonderful concept and it's probably why I don't have good luck with house plants. I ignore them too much! So I must reconsider this and try again! Have a beautiful day and hopefully some warmer days to come.

Barb said...

I have a few plants that I try to encourage along...I'm a believer in talking to all nature. I love Pussy Willows! My mother had one outside of her back porch, I have fond memories of cutting off branches and putting them in tall vases...I'm so glad to see signs of Spring! We are still in a deep freeze, but I know that it will be warm sooner or later. Have a wonderful week-end!

Jeanie said...

You have blue sky and crocus so ahead of us! But our sun is out today (and yesterday) -- a terrific change of pace!

Rhodesia said...

Glad that things are brightening up where you are. Take care. Have a good weekend, Diane

Spare Parts and Pics said...

It certainly looks like signs of spring! Have a nice weekend.

Lowcarb team member said...

What beautiful photographs you've shared, thank you.

All the best Jan

Mari said...

We have no signs of Spring yet. It looks lovely! I'm impressed with your green thumb.

Joanne Noragon said...

We had a bitterly cold, pure sunshine day today. One place I visited had a woman twirling around in the parking lot, telling her friends she was dancing in the sunshine, and look, it's only 28 degrees out here.

Nancy Chan said...

Nice to see the shoots coming out from the ground. Over here, we are hoping for more rain to cool down the heat.

shayndel said...

Hi Joyful! This will sound very suburban but its true--- i never realized Pussy Willows grew on trees!! I have only seen them as "cut flowers" or in vases!!! Oh dear, the truth comes out, I am a city/suburban gal!! I like your photos and the promise of spring in them!! Lots of love!!♡

diane b said...

Love your header photo. Sorry to hear you have had bad weather but it has given you time to look after your indoor plants. Talk to them they like it. I scold mine for sulking sometimes.

carol l mckenna said...

Wonderful signs and photos of Spring ~ ^_^

Happy Moments to You,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

stardust said...

Record level of different weather are happening around the world. I have been through very warm winter with sporadic cold spells. It is said right before the spring is the coldest, so I think have to wait one more cold spell. The signs of spring are uplifting. I’ve heard about saying compliments or singing to plants for their healthy growth. Have happy days ahead.

Yoko

affectioknit said...

Our daffodills and croci are already blooming...it's such an early spring this year...and then we had snow late last week...so winter is not over yet...
~Have a lovely day!

It Was a Spectacular Day! ~ Skywatch

Hello friends and fellow bloggers, It was a spectacular, sunny day where I live. It's still rather chilly from my point of view but the ...