Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Miss Sally ~ Home At Last!

I'm happy to say that Miss Sally (Part 1 here and Part 2 here) has made it home after almost a full month in hospital.  It was touch and go on several occasions but by God's grace Miss Sally has recovered and gone home.

Her discharge date was delayed by two days. The hospital had ordered some medicines from Nairobi and wanted to both administer the medicines and run tests to ensure a good red blood cell count.

January 22, 2018 ~ Miss Sally is overjoyed to be home again.


It has been difficult for me to focus on much over these past few weeks since Christmas other than Miss Sally's condition, my own sickness and praying for a few other needs. On good days I have done a lot of reading, crocheting or cooking and baking. On other days I've just managed to do a bit of house work here and there.


Lovely fields of green
near where Miss Sally was in hospital (near Bomet, Kenya).


Miss Sally is not out of the woods yet.  She will need to have a better diet and possibly supplements. If things don't improve consistently she will require more medications. If you feel led to help her in any way, kindly let me know. Otherwise we would appreciate your prayers for Miss Sally.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

While my sickness with cold and flu bug has dragged on I don't feel up to doing the usual things. I've spent a lot of time in prayer and reading the word but have also spent a lot of time watching television and programming on Netflix. I managed to watch two full seasons of The Crown and enjoyed it very much. Claire Foy does a fantastic job of humanizing the Queen while maintaining the dignity required of a Queen.  The cast of actors are all fabulous.

I'm on a free trial for Netflix and it expires this week. I would like to cancel my television channels and subscribe to Netflix or other streaming service but am waiting for high speed internet to be available in my building. I hope I won't have to wait too much longer as it has already been years, yes you read that right. I've been waiting years for the high speed internet. When I first moved into my building we had the fasted internet speed in the area and in much of the city. I felt quite smug, lol. That didn't last because now we have the slowest internet in the area. It still pretty good considering but I'll want the much faster speed if I am going to rely on the internet for watching television and movies. I would then upgrade to unlimited internet data for home use.

When I'm confined to the house during illness I tend to want junk food or comfort food, especially late at night. I haven't been buying "treats" because of the high cost and also for health reasons.  Instead I'm doing some baking here and there. though I haven't exactly made healthy options, I can do things like reduce the amount of sugar used and so on.  I can also freeze some and eat it later.  I did some baking today.  The results are in the photo below.

I must be on a health upswing as I made three different treats

First up was something called Butter Cake. It was the first time I'd heard of it.  I came across the recipe when searching for a simple, basic cake.  It was quite tasty but I doubt very much I will make it again. Too much butter for me.  I really don't know what I was thinking because I wanted a lemon cake to use up some of my lemons. I did use some freshly squeezed lemon juice in the batter but the butter overwhelmed the lemon flavour I was after. Oh well, next time I will make sure to make a plainer cake with lots of lemon.

I also made a dozen blueberry muffins and a few dozen jumbo raisin cookies. Most of these will be frozen and used as needed.  I far prefer home made muffins to store bought ones. I only like the store bought muffins at high end places. Otherwise they tend to have a lot of oil or a lot of air. I like my muffins with a bit more substance.  Same with cookies. I don't like sweet cookies and I do like to have them large so I can dunk them in tea or coffee. These are also good to take with me when I run errands and I need a snack.




The muffins and cake were baked in silicone muffin and loaf pans.  
Personally I don't like silicon pans as much as I like the tin or metal ones. 
I find they completely change the texture of the food.
If you are a baker have you noticed any difference?

Joining with Our World Tuesday 

Pictorial Tuesday

10 comments:

magiceye said...

Heres wishing Sally and you a speedy recovery!

Jeanie said...

I'm so sorry you have been ill.That's never fun and I'm glad to hear you are on the upswing. Certainly your baking must be a good sign! It all looks delicious. I don't have netflix but I'm thinking of getting it just for The Crown!

Wonderful news on Miss Sally! Thanks for your update. I love a happy ending.

Joanne Noragon said...

I so agree about the oily commercial muffins. Why do I fail myself on occasion and have one?

Rhodesia said...

Delighted to hear that Sally is back hoe and I hope she manages to stay there for a while.

Sorry to hear that you are still not well, it is a bad one this year. I am going into my fifth week now and still coughing badly though feeling better in myself. Take care, Diane

Annie said...

Oh, how delicious your baking looks.
I hope you are feeling better soon. No fun being ill.
Glad to hear about Miss Sally too.

Al said...

That's good news about Miss Sally. Netflix is about the only TV watching I do these days, we certainly don't pay for cable or satellite!

Mari said...

I'm so happy to see Miss Sally at home - makes me so happy to see her sweet smile.
Pretty pictures of her area. I'm praying for her and you too.
I don't like silicone pans either.

Lady Fi said...

Welcome home to Miss Sally!

Angie said...

God is good - glad Miss Sally is at home, and I will keep her in my prayers. Netflix is the way to go - we watched a lot of the Crown while my daughter was here in December - loved it. We also came across a series called Heartland. It's based in Alberta/British Columbia and is about a horse family. Great stuff! Hope you feel better soon.

Jan said...

That's good news Penny. Glad to hear about Miss Sally. Please take care of you and feel better soon.

It Was a Spectacular Day! ~ Skywatch

Hello friends and fellow bloggers, It was a spectacular, sunny day where I live. It's still rather chilly from my point of view but the ...