Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Good Reads

This is just a quick post which I have pre-prepared during the time I've been spending with my guest.

I don't have a whole lot of time with my niece on this visit so we will try to fit in an outing or two and spend time relaxing in between.

This post is about my reading goals more than anything. I know many of my blogging friends like to read and I like to encourage more reading :-). I also try to get my friends in the local community to read more and recommend books I read to different people based on their interests.

I met my reading goal some time ago and my revised reading goal last week.  I've revised my goal again so it is now at 40 books. That means I have 10 more books to go. That should keep me busy for another few months. After that I'll see what I should do about the balance of the year.

My two latest books are


The Known World is historic fiction set in antebellum, Virginia.  The story examines the issues regarding the ownership of black slaves by black and white owners alike. I hadn't realized there were black slave owners.  Perhaps I knew it once and didn't pay much attention to the matter. I am still early on in the book.  So far one black slave master has died and the slaves are wondering what will become of them.  The deceased widow makes a speech to the slaves after her husband's passing.  The reader is let in on the fact that much of her speech is insincere and her words unoriginal.  I finding the book quite interesting and I'm sure I will enjoy the rest.

The book, All Change is the 5th book in a series by Elizabeth Jane Howard. I did not read the previous 4 books. So far I am enjoying this book which is set in the 1950s and begins with the death of "Duchy", the beloved matriarch of the Cazalet family.  With her passing comes the end of a by-gone era of grand houses, servants, class and tradition.  The chapters after Duchy's passing deal with each member of the family and the changes they are going through. It is interesting but I have read better written books of a similar nature.

Anyway, if you decide to read one of these books I'd be interested in knowing what you think of them.

12 comments:

Jo said...

Hi Penny, I love that you post about your reading goals. I think many [of us] read a lot, but don't keep a tally. For the past year I have read umpteen books on my Kindle. I never thought I'd ever want to read an electronic book, but last weekend my Kindle went haywire for a day or two and I literally had withdrawal symptoms! It's online again now and I'm reading again! Only thing is it can become very expensive as I can "buy" a book any time any place. I try to stick to books up to US$7.99 but even then at two books a week, that works out quite expensive in a month and a year! Oh well... And, as regards to encouraging the locals to read, I buy weeks old newspapers by the kilo from a little duka in town and drop them off at the askari huts as Grant and I go off on our bird outings. Only thing is so far I can only find English Tanzanian papers. Will have to look in Shinyanga and buy some Swahili issues. Have a great day! Blessings. Jo

Terra said...

I have the Cazalet series on my reading wish list, and my blog post today is of 5 or 6 books I am reading or will read soon. Let me know what you think of my choices. I bought another book on my Kindle today and borrowed another from the library. I do adore reading.

Joyful said...

Hi dear Jo, it was interesting to read about all your books on Kindle. I have a similar service (called Kobo) which is like the Canadian version of Kindle. There are lots and lots of free books available, mostly classics. I don't know if you were speaking about people in general who don't keep a tally of their books or if you meant yourself. I think that you should be able to find a tally of all your books in Kindle library. I do agree that the books can add up in cost so I hope you are able to download some free ones or some for 99 cents now and then. It's wonderful that you also encourage your locals to read and Swahili versions of the paper would probably be welcomed! Have a wonderful day and many blessings to you too. xx

Joyful said...

Hi Terra, I checked out your list of current reading and I love all of them. I think I will add some of them to my "want to read" list. I'm always overjoyed to meet people who love to read. I've read so many books and lost count and it is only in the last few years that I began to keep reading goals and tallies. I wish I could remember every book I've ever read and update my tallies, lol. Ah well, I know I enjoyed them all. xx

Ceil said...

Hi Joyful! I really do like historical fiction, so I think I'd enjoy that first book. I have never heard of black slave owners either. That's amazing! I'm going to write these titles down. I am a bit clogged with reading right now, but when I have time, I'll check these out.

Have a wonderful time with your niece!
Ceil

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Both look like good reads.

Joyful said...

Thanks Karen. I enjoyed the first read. Now on to the 2nd!

Joyful said...

Hi Ceil, I too really like historical fiction. In fact when I go back and review my "reads" I find that this category is the single largest category in my reading. I understand about being "clogged" with reading as I've usually got more books on the go than not. Inevitably some have to take a back seat until much later. Have a wonderful week!

John's Island said...

Hi Joyful, This is an interesting post ... I like to see what people are reading. I am a reader myself, but I must tell you that I don't think I'll get close to the 40 you are reading this year. Maybe 20 for me. :-) I especially enjoy listening to books that have an Audible version. I wonder if you have tried that? One book I recently read and really enjoyed is (of all things) entitled Canada and it is written by Richard Ford. Now, on another topic: Thank you for the links to read about your work in Africa. I admire your mission! I just sent you a PayPal for a small donation. You may use it any way you like to help the people who need so much over in that part of the world. You are a very kind person, Joyful, and it is a real pleasure to see your comments on my blog. Thank you very much. Have a wonderful day and take care. John

jabbott said...

Hi Joy, I used to read book after book at one point. I still read but not has much as I would like to. Im currently reading jaws.I have seen the film hundreds of times, but am really loving the book.The last book I read was by Nicci french called; Tuesdays gone. I really enjoyed this book and read most books by this author.
The book you read called the Known world looks like a book I would read x

Joyful said...

Hi John, I think you are doing well to read 20 books a year. It is nice to read at a pace that you find enjoyable. I would also like to try audible books but only tried this once recently. The book was on 13 discs and unfortunately had to be returned to the library before I got through disc 1! I hope to try again another time. Thank you very much for your kind donation. It will surely come in handy for the purposes I mentioned to you directly. Have a wonderful weekend. Joyful

Joyful said...

Hi Ms. Abbott, I too go through periods where I read more than others. It is okay as life is about trying different things and enjoying what you do. I'm glad you enjoyed your last few books. I'm hoping you can find "The Known World" and that you will enjoy it Maybe when your little one comes you would prefer to use audible books and that way you can listen while you look after baby. Have a wonderful weekend.

City Gardens, Weather & Cooking

Hello dear friends and fellow bloggers, Time passed too quickly this month and before you know it May will be here.  With it's return th...