Sunday, January 3, 2016

Last Trip in December

My brother and I made the journey to spend Christmas with our mother.
We left early in the morning but not too, too early. 

The sun was rising.


But over the water there was a bit of fog.


Near the City of Chilliwack you could see the sun rays peeking through the clouds.


I always love the approach into Merritt as seen in photo below.


As we got north of Merritt, the sky was a glorious colour and the sun was brightly shining. It was a perfect winter day.


The weather was still nice as we arrived in Kamloops.


Here is the view from my hotel's breakfast room the next morning.


I enjoyed watching these ducks on the river while I read the paper and ate breakfast.


I also enjoyed the big bear and the beautiful Christmas tree.


On Boxing Day (December 26th) it started snowing in the mid afternoon.  It snowed all night long.
The hotel which was very quiet the day before filled up during the snow storm as travellers sought the safety off the roads.

The next morning after visiting mom one last time, we headed back to the big city.  The snow abounded everywhere.

Just outside of Merritt, this is what the sky looked like.  I like the way the sun is trying to shine through the cloud cover.


The overnight snowfall made everything look like a winter wonderland and it continued snowing for the entire return journey except for the last hour of our trip.



We were travelling on Sunday and the traffic back to the city was very heavy.  I guess most people had to work on Monday.


It was rather chilly in the mountains. The roads had just been plowed so all was good as far as driving was concerned.



Right around Langley City the traffic slowed right down and there was long line of immobile cars. We turned on the radio to find out why.  Fortunately the radio announcer immediately mentioned that there had been an accident and that the last of the line up was being cleared. Thankfully we were barely detained and the traffic started moving again.



I am always glad to travel; especially to see mom.  But I'm equally always glad to get home.

The next morning, I was greeting by a sunny snowy scene (final photo).
It has been bright and sunny since then and quite cold.
 I have a long faux fur coat and that has kept me warm. I don't get a chance to wear it often but now and then it comes in handy.


Over this coming week the weather forecast is for a bit of rain, a bit of sunshine and some snowy days too.

I've been enjoying the break in our weather.  Usually we get long rainy days which can sometimes last weeks without a break though the last few years the weather is not normal.  The national meteorologist says "expect the unexpected".

I hope you enjoyed my picture tour. 

I hope all of you had a wonderful Christmas and Happy New Year.
I look forward to your visits and your comments and to visiting your blogs in the coming year.

Blessings.
Joining up with Our World Tuesday this week
and
for the first time, I'm also joing Mersad's Through My Lens meme.

Thanks for stopping by.


Note: All photos taken with my phone except for the last one taken with my Sony camera.

14 comments:

jabbott said...

No snow here yet! Glad you saw your mum and got home safely x

jabbott said...

I also wanted to add your photos of your trip are very good x

Stewart M said...

Thats not the kind of scenery I see on a daily basis! Great shots!

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

PS: I dont want to worry you, but you seem to have a HUGE bear in your house!!

Mereknits said...

Beautiful photos, so glad you had a wonderful trip.
Meredith

Linda said...

Gorgeous photos, it looks like a great time! I love the winter and snow! We finally got some snow here in Montreal, and a lot of it! However, we had a green Christmas, which is extremely rare here.

Joanne Noragon said...

Your scenery is astounding. I hope mom is doing well.

Red said...

That's a very beautiful section of B.C. but it's nerve wracking to drive in the winter.

Jo said...

Happy New Year, 2016, Penny! Blessings and good health for you and your loved ones this year. I loved traveling from your home to your mom's place and back. The photo under which you wrote about an accident (Langley City), is that a tunnel entrance? It's all so different - especially the weather -from what I'm used to ! (((Hugs))) Jo

John's Island said...

Hi Joyful, What a wonderful post to start the new year. Yes, I enjoyed your photo tour over to see your mom and your return. The roads look a little bit dicey and I'm glad you made it safely. The last picture is just an amazing transformation of the scene from your deck. Beautiful! Happy New Year to you!

Arija said...

Love sour cool trip. Glad you visited sour mother for Christmas. Mothers miss their children much more than the children realise. Loved seeing the cold and snow, so refreshing when we are sitting in a blistering heatwave.
Have a wonderful 2016!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, the scenery on the way to your Mom's is beautiful. I love the mountain views. Lovely images. Have a happy week!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

The snowy scenery is beautiful. I hope your brother was driving )))! I'm sure your mom was happy .

A Colorful World said...

Gorgeous scenery! Glad you were able to spend the holiday with your Mom!

Jeanie said...

You're right about the winter wonderland. A beautiful road trip and fabulous scenery along the way. I'm so glad you could spend that time with your mom.

It Was a Spectacular Day! ~ Skywatch

Hello friends and fellow bloggers, It was a spectacular, sunny day where I live. It's still rather chilly from my point of view but the ...