Thursday, December 6, 2018

November Ended on a Bright Note



~~~~~~~

Where I live I seldom see a rainbow even though it rains a lot.
I'm not sure why that is.

So when I do see a rainbow it is an exciting event.

~~~~~

Rainbow (source Wikipedia)


A rainbow is a meteorological phenomenon that is caused by reflection, refraction and dispersion of light in water droplets resulting in a spectrum of light appearing in the sky. It takes the form of a multicoloured circular arc. Rainbows caused by sunlight always appear in the section of sky directly opposite the sun.
Rainbows can be full circles. However, the observer normally sees only an arc formed by illuminated droplets above the ground, and centered on a line from the sun to the observer's eye.
In a primary rainbow, the arc shows red on the outer part and violet on the inner side. This rainbow is caused by light being refracted when entering a droplet of water, then reflected inside on the back of the droplet and refracted again when leaving it.
In a double rainbow, a second arc is seen outside the primary arc, and has the order of its colours reversed, with red on the inner side of the arc. This is caused by the light being reflected twice on the inside of the droplet before leaving it.
and
It is difficult to photograph the complete semicircle of a rainbow in one frame, as this would require an angle of view of 84°. For a 35 mm camera, a wide-angle lens with a focal length of 19 mm or less would be required. Now that software for stitching several images into a panorama is available, images of the entire arc and even secondary arcs can be created fairly easily from a series of overlapping frames.
~~~~~~

As I sat at my computer desk and was looking out toward the mountains I spotted some colour just beyond the leaves of my bush.  I went out to the balcony to take a closer look and discovered a rainbow.

I went out 3 different times to capture photos.
Though it started to pour rain I wanted
to be sure and get at least one or two decent ones.
I didn't take the photo as instructed by Wikipedia notes above. I just went out and did my best to capture the rainbow while it lasted.
On my 3rd attempt I was blessed to see two rainbows!
As it states in Wikipedia, the 2nd arc does have the colour red on the inside of the arc.





I felt very blessed and extremely excited to see one rainbow but even more excited to see two of them!

In the Bible there is a scripture
 where God promises Noah he will never again wipe out the population of the earth by flooding. He says the rainbow will signify his promise.


There are a few other verses that deal with the rainbow.
One of them is Revelation 4:1,3

"After these things I looked, and behold, a door opened in heaven . . . 3. And He Who was sitting was in appearance like a jasper stone and a sardius stone; and a rainbow was around the throne . . ."

This is a beautiful and happy image.

I feel expectant after seeing the rainbows and am looking forward to a wonderful month in December.

~~~~~


I know the Christmas season can be a difficult time for many who are hurting and lonely.
If that's you and you are reading this I share this thought with you.



Linking up with

Skywatch Friday

and

Friday Foto Friends

26 comments:

Sylvia said...

I love seeing rainbows too, they remind me of God's promises!

Alana said...

Beautiful captures. I've not had that much luck with rainbows and now I know some of why. They seem to be more common where I am, though.

Rhodesia said...

Fabulous shots and that double rainbow is incredible.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Thank you for sharing the rainbows with us. I love rainbows as they remind us of God's promises. He will never leave us nor forsake us...He is with us..."Emmanuel"... love the double rainbow...and the information is good to know! Thank you again. Made me smile.

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

Love rainbows!

Aritha V. said...

Glad to see you rainbows while it is raining here. Thank you.

Red said...

Often rainbows don't last very long so you have to be fat to get a photo.

Cathy said...

What beautiful photos. I especially love the last one with the rainbow over the church steeple.

Joanne Noragon said...

You have shared some great beauty with us. Thank you.

affectioknit said...

I do love rainbows...Happy December!
~Have a lovely day!

Breathing In Grace said...

Oh, how I love when God sends us little personal blessings throughout the day. You got some great fotos! I love the little poem at the end, too! Hope you have a great weekend! 💜

annie said...

Very pretty. Yes, it is exciting to see a rainbow :)

Jeanie said...

Your rainbow photos are beautiful! I always have a hard time capturing one and you did it masterfully! That was quite the rainbow, too. Lovely.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

That's a beauty! We see very few rainbows because we get so little rain. However, when we do get rain, rainbows are pretty common, but still a treat!

Mari said...

Beautiful shots! The last one is so brilliant! I never knew the colors were reversed on the second rainbow.

happyone said...

Rainbows are beautiful and special.
Love the saying.

Lady Fi said...

So beautiful!

Small Kucing said...

Lovely rainbow. I love looking at them after rain

carol l mckenna said...

Awesome sky photos and capture of the rainbow ~ ^_^

Happy Day to you,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Tanza Erlambang - Every Day Issues said...

such beautiful photos. I love rainbow.
have a great weekend

KB said...

Love rainbows too

betty-NZ said...

I just love seeing them even though my mind cannot comprehend the science behind it, especially the 'directions' to photographing one! I am blessed to see them often and in 180 degrees. I just take two or three photos and stitch them together! I am sure I've read it but it never registered that God had rainbows around Him! It's so cool that He shares such beauty with us mere mortals.

stardust said...

I can almost feel the excitement when you found a rainbow and captured it with your camera. The arch stretches over the spire of a church, skyscraper, and trees. The summer of this year, I saw rainbows more often than usual including double rainbows and upside down rainbow. A little kid always find a rainbow first. Have happy days ahead.

Yoko

shayndel said...

So happy to see your wonderful and beautiful rainbow, and doubled too!!! I love how its right there in the view you see everyday, and God blessed you with His rainbow!! It's huge!! He wants you see how HUGE He is and how Wide and broad and colorful is His love!! (I just felt that in my Spirit!!)God bless you!! Much love and a rainbow smile:))♡

Pr@Gun said...

such beauty, rainbow captures are my favourite.

Jan said...

Beautiful. I love the message in this post. xx

It Was a Spectacular Day! ~ Skywatch

Hello friends and fellow bloggers, It was a spectacular, sunny day where I live. It's still rather chilly from my point of view but the ...