Sunday, March 24, 2019

Sunday Reads

I haven't written about my reading goals for 2019. I'm keeping my goal very modest this year indeed. I only have 20 books as my target and I'm already behind, lol. I'll likely catch up and read more than the goal but keeping the goal on the lower end gives me permission to do other things.


I've completed three books to date and I highly recommend them all.





In the early 1900s, teenaged Sunja, the adored daughter of a crippled fisherman, falls for a wealthy stranger at the seashore near her home in Korea. He promises her the world, but when she discovers she is pregnant--and that her lover is married--she refuses to be bought. Instead, she accepts an offer of marriage from a gentle, sickly minister passing through on his way to Japan. But her decision to abandon her home, and to reject her son's powerful father, sets off a dramatic saga that will echo down through the generations.




Hospice nurses Maggie Callanan and Patricia Kelley share their intimate experiences with patients at the end of life, drawn from more than twenty years’ experience tending the terminally ill. 


 

Shadows Over an African Heart describes how a few dedicated professionals take on a corrupt government, a ruthless band of poachers and other opportunists to save Zimbabwe's elephants. These noble beasts are being abused in cruel tourist ride training centers; while elsewhere small calves are being ripped from their mothers in the bush and shipped to lives of solitude and neglect in Chinese zoos; and in Hwange National Park, entire herds of elephants are mysteriously dropping dead. It's up to the newly appointed ZimParks superintendent, Hector Kaminjolo, his rangers and environmentalists Piet and Jessica van Rooyen, to band together to put a stop to these cruel practices, investigate the slaughter, locate the perpetrators and bring them to justice in 2013 Zimbabwe, where greed and corruption fuels the quest for ivory. This novel is a sequel to the author's other popular novel, Shadows along the Zambezi, set in 2001.


I'm currently reading all the books below and will soon finish several of them.

I'm always interested in early history and how people moved goods over long distances.

A rags to riches story of one of Kenya's most successful & philanthropic businessmen.

One woman's story about how she developed urban gardens in unlikely places.
 
Written by an American missionary to Kenya.

Tell me what you're reading and whether you recommend any books for me to add to my list.


15 comments:

Pamela said...

I will add Pachinko to my list. Thanks!

shayndel said...

You are quite an avid reader Joyful!! Love the quote by Dr. Seuss!!
As you asked, I will share few titles basically "companions" to the main book--the Bible!! They help me in my study, the first two are also for a class and the second two I refer to for Torah study of the weekly Parsha!! The Passion of the Bride, A Heart of Prayer ; The Worshipping Bride (both by Wesley Scott Amos), A Taste of Torah by Keren Hannah Pryor ; and Parsha in Pink, weekly inspiration from the Parsha by Rebbetzin Mindy Bodner-Lankry!! Happy reading with Love!

Red said...

I look at your book lists a I'm always looking for something to read. I recently found an author who tells a good story in a humorous way. So if your looking for some light reading find Patrick Taylor and all the Irish stories he tells.

Rhodesia said...

Shodows over a African Heart needs to be read by everyone as does Shadows Along the Zambezi, I wish people would understand just what is happening to the the wild life in Africa and do something about it before there is nothing left to see! Have a good week, Diane

Joyful said...

Thank you for sharing your recommendations!

Joyful said...

I hope you enjoy it. Let me know if you do!

Joyful said...

Hi Red, thank you for recommending an author. I've actually read a book by him. I cannot remember the name off the top of my head but I enjoyed it.

Joyful said...

I agree Diane. It's a very sad situation for all wildlife in Africa, including the great elephants. I still have to read book one of this 2 part series.

happyone said...

Sounds like some good books but my list of books to read is so very long, I'm not adding to it for a while.

Joyful said...

I understand. Happy reading :-)

Dianna said...

I love to read your reading lists, Penny. They are always so diverse and I enjoy your reviews of them. Thanks so much for sharing!

Angie said...

Pachinko and Final Gifts sound very interesting. I was reading "Another Brooklyn" by Jacqueline Woodson and I found it hard going, so I have switched over to a book my husband recently read - "How it Happened" by Michael Koryta - a murder mystery that has my attention so far. Have a great week!

Joyful said...

Thank you Dianna, I do read quite broadly as I have so many interests :-) There are soem things I won't read though.

Joyful said...

Hi Angie, yes those 2 books were very interesting and quite good. I've noted the two books you've recently read. In time I can see if they are in the city library. Have a great week too!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, they all look like wonderful books. I will see if my library has them. Enjoy your day and books!

It Was a Spectacular Day! ~ Skywatch

Hello friends and fellow bloggers, It was a spectacular, sunny day where I live. It's still rather chilly from my point of view but the ...