Monday, August 31, 2015

Another Trip in the Works

Since I posted last we've had a major wind and rain storm here in Vancouver. I was without power for the better part of a day and night but my power was restored in the wee hours of Sunday morning.  There are still over 30,000 homes without power. In addition to a long power outage on Saturday evening, I also had a fire alarm near midnight. It was nothing to do with a fire but you just never know so out you go. Thankfully I wasn't asleep yet but many of my neighbours were wearing night clothes.  I didn't take any photos of the storm damage but click here for today's storm update and to see the extensive damage.

Now that our hot weather is behind us and Fall on the way I will likely be waxing a bit nostalgic about the beautiful summer flowers.  However this year was so hot that it was hard to enjoy the flowers and some (most) gardens, including public gardens really suffered for lack of water due to lack of rain and resulting water restrictions.

Mosaic of summer flowers from a previous summer.


Other than the bit of weather excitement I've been busy all week with shopping and sewing for my mother.  I've got a lot to take her in terms of clothing and snacks on this trip and we will also celebrate her birthday with a bit of food and cake. I've coordinated my niece's arrival time to join my brother, mother and I, but haven't booked a room yet for our meal.  If there is no extra room available we will  make do in a corner of the dining room.  The main is just to visit and make sure mom is comfortably prepared for the coming Fall.




Normally I don't post a long list of what I'm taking for my mom but I thought this time it might be interesting to post a list and have something I can reference later.

Shopping

Snacks:

- 20 small juice (orange and apple)
- 3 cans smoked oysters
- 30 cans cocktail wieners
- 3 cans snack tuna packages
- 1 package whole wheat crackers
- 1 can sardines
- 1 bag popcorn twists
- 3 types of hard candy
- 2 packages Cup-of-Soup

 Toilet Articles

-  face cream
-  body cream
-  bar soap
-  Vick's Vapour Rub
-  hand wipes
-
Other

- cordless phone set
- 1 plastic mason jar sipping mug with straw
- 1 small plastic Tupperware container
 
Clothing:

- 2 nightgowns, labelled and modified up the back
- 1 undergarment, labelled
- 2 knee high socks and over the knee socks, labelled
- 2 winter sweaters, labelled
- 2 tops (see below)
- 1 skirt (see below)


Over the past week I've shopped for various kinds of fabric to make 2 tops and one skirt. I only intended to make one top.  Then decided I'd rather make everything now rather than have to make it in a month or two and mom would be going without all the things she needs before my next visit.  When shopping or buying fabric  I always have to try and coordinate colours and clothing needs with what she already has in her closet. It isn't always easy to find just the right thing in the right colours.

The home made clothes are basically done.  I just need to add elastic to the skirt waistband and cut the tops up the backside and sew the edges down. I do this for all tops, nightgowns and dresses whether home made or store bought and I also label everything. These are the items I've made:


- 1 multi-coloured green/brown top
- 1 multi-coloured plum top
- 1 crushed velvet brown skirt

I have to finish the neckline on this one. The brown skirt is under the top.

When I look at my list it doesn't seem quite so long or involved. But when I'm trying to buy everything and put it all together (example finding appropriate fabric, sewing and coordinating all the colours in existing wardrobe) it does take a lot of time. It also takes a lot of financial resources to do this on a regular basis (just one can of wieners ranges from (97 cents each to $2.69 each).

I  try to find as much as possible on sale including the fabric. This time I was able to buy fabrics for the tops at approximately $32 total.  I will get 4 tops out of them (2 for mom and 2 for me which I'll make later). I also got the skirt fabric at a good price ($15).

Altogether Mom's home made items cost me $23.  $31 (or about $10.33 each, excluding thread.).  Overall I think I got good value out of the projects which took about 7-8 hours total to make as I had to re-do one neckline.  It takes me long because I give myself lots of breaks in between when I have to do other things. One can sew things for even less money than I've spent.  You can really shop around especially if you aren't limited in the type of fabric you need to buy. You can also find fabric ends, clearance fabric and even use the fabric from clean second hand clothing. I might do this myself if I wasn't in a hurry and if the clothing was just for me.

Plum/burgundy top. Still need to hem and finish sleeves

In addition to shopping and sewing, I've finished one more book toward my reading goals of 45 books for the year. I'm behind schedule by 1-2 books. I also managed to fit in a bit of knitting and made 2 dishcloths. It's been well over a year since I knitted any dishcloths and I discovered I'd forgotten how. I had to look up the pattern again and relearn how to do a yarn over stitch. I made quite a lot of  cloths 2 years ago and have been using the stash for my own needs and for gifts but now am running low. I need to make a new stash of cloths and these two will be added to it. I'm thinking of far away friends that I want to gift and one of them is finalizing building a house (and doesn't read this blog).  The kitchen is yet to be done but things are coming along well. I'll be making them in various colours for myself and others too. I find this little project quite relaxing and practical.



I'm linking up with Our World Tuesday this week.
Have a wonderful week full of good things.



18 comments:

Buckeroomama said...

I also heard from my MIL about the power outages in Vancouver, but luckily her area wasn't affected. All the best on your upcoming trip!

Indrani said...

Wow! You are doing so much!
Great work.

eileeninmd said...

Wow, you are an awesome seamstress. Your homemade items are pretty. I can not sew that well. I love your lovely flowers mosaic. I also heard about the storm and high winds. I have been checking out the weather in the Olympic Peninsula area of Washington state and saw they had a lot of damage from the winds. Have a great trip!

Joanne Noragon said...

Other bloggers have commented on that big storm, too. Glad you came through unscathed.

Linda said...

You are so busy, and in such a good way! I love your photos. :)

Nancy Chan said...

Looks like you have done a lot and you are good in sewing and other things as well. Hope you enjoy your time with your mother and love ones.

Stephanie said...

Wonderful work you did with the materials. Heard that Vancouver had the worst of it from that storm. I believe south of us was bad too. We did not get the amount of wind as Vancouver had, but lots of rain which we needed badly. Good to hear you did not suffer too long without power.

Chris said...

Wow we couldn't believe the news reports of that terrible wind storm, and all that rain! Good you got your power back fairly quickly. Lovely care package for your mom!

Linda W. said...

Love the collage of flowers you've posted! So colorful and cheery! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! :)

Lowcarb team member said...

Goodness the storm was bad ...

But your lovely mosaic of flowers was so lovely to look at.

Happy September Wishes

All the best Jan

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Your mothEr will be the belle of the dining room in her lovely new outfits! The snacks are a great idea. I know my parents got tired of the regular meals sometimes when they lived in a senior facility. Although I always thought they were pretty good when we visited.

Denise said...

praying for you, love you.

Debbie Harris said...

You are quite the seamstress, beautiful!
I am not much of a sewer, in fact I failed miserably in home economics, but excelled in cooking, and things haven't changed much in the past 36 years haha.
There are things I would love to create, but...
I love those hand made dish cloths. I have a dear senior friend who makes them for me.

It's always a joy visiting with you.
Bless you~~ Debbie

psychelyn said...

Glad you are safe and didn't have any damages in your house. I think you got your mom things which she will be happy about. Keep safe!

Jo said...

Your sewing abilities are enviable. I cannot sew anything - I can darn or sew on buttons etc. I love the list for your mom. Do the cans you take her have ring pull lids or can she still manage a can opener? (see, I also deal with an oldie on a regular basis, LOL) I 've also forgotten (or filed away) your dishcloth patterns and need to mail you to send to me again, please. Remember when I asked about the strange cable stitch/pattern I asked you about ? Well, I scotched that pattern and did a textured pattern in the same series. It came out nice. Now I'm trying a lace pattern but it has a pattern where you yo (yarn over) and then ssk or ssp / horrific. I think I'll scotch this too and wait until I can use your patterns again.

Pietro Brosio said...

All so interesting, great flower mosaic!
Happy weekend!

Rose said...

Sounds like you were really busy....

Green Thumb said...

I wanna learn sewing clothes. My mom can do a lot.

You're a good daughter. God will bless with so much!

It Was a Spectacular Day! ~ Skywatch

Hello friends and fellow bloggers, It was a spectacular, sunny day where I live. It's still rather chilly from my point of view but the ...