Friday, April 30, 2010

Dreaming of Africa

These days I am dreaming of Africa. Kenya in particular. I want to visit and see my friends in the flesh instead of just emailing. I also want to make some progress on a small project with the village women in Kericho, Kenya.

I've long had a desire to help the orphan girls and women to somehow make their lives easier with things like jiko stoves and fireless cookers, as well as menstrual pads.

A jiko stove would help the women in so many ways but they are somewhat expensive especially for the villagers and a recent cheaper alternative came available but it is still too much for a villager. Jikos can save the women from back breaking and time consuming work of collecting firewood. Because there are so many people collecting twigs to start the fires for daily cooking, it is harder and harder to find it nearby. Women and children can spend hours a day locating the wood and carrying it home on their backs. It is hard work and also dangerous to go so far where you can be accosted. Once you get it home and start the fire for cooking the smoke that is generated is also a health hazard for the women and children who often suffer from eye problems.

Here is a photo of  a woman collecting firewood. I was trying to take her photo discreetly so it turned out blurry.



My hope is that I can provide each household in the village near Kericho with a jiko stove or a fireless cooker. So far I've managed to pay for 11 jiko stoves and there are another 28 women waiting for one. A jiko uses less wood and uses it more efficiently. Also you do not get all the smoke you do with the traditional three stone fire. You can read more about the jiko stove project here. You can also READ here about people I am helping in the village with the jikos.

Because of the cost and the time it is taking me to get enough jiko stoves, I've recently been considering  fireless cookers instead. They look like this in the photo below and are less expensive than a jiko stove. The drawback is that they are not as versatile. This is not my photo but I've misplaced the one I was sent. 

[Photo credit: Solar Cookers International]

If I am fortunate I may get to visit my friend, Loice and her husband, Pastor Japheth in Nakuru. Here is Loice looking with interest at her digital photo. I say if I am fortunate because I may be rather busy when I visit and so we shall see how things go.


I leave you with ac photo of the majestic lion in the national park in Nakuru. They roam the park and you must stay in the car. No walking around here where the lions roam though there is a picnic area where the baboons are.


I simply love the majestic lion. But I wouldn't want to pet one!

24 comments:

Sarah said...

Just breathe taking.. I just love looking at there world it's just beautiful thank you for sharing. xo

OneStonedCrow said...

Thanks for this post Joyful - is there any online information regarding the 'jiko' stove - the reason I'm asking is because I have a post prepared regarding the gathering of firewood and fetching of water ... I was going to do a post on elephants but perhaps, having seen this post, I'll post it instead ...

Joyful said...

Hi Sarah, nice to see you again. I'm glad you liked the insight into another part of the world.

Joyful said...

Hi OSC, so glad you enjoyed the post on jiko stoves. I've sent you more information and some links. I look forward to reading your post. If I can be of more help, let me know.

Kilauea Poetry said...

Wow..I am so intrigued! I think it's a terrific thing. I would love to learn more! Thanks for your neat post. I enjoyed your photos..the lions and the just the whole subject!
(I appreciated your visit as well)
Regina-

Diary From Africa said...

It's wonderful what you are doing to help these people - if everyone in this world could just do what you are doing, then it would be a much better place indeed.

Unknown said...

May you be blessed for your kind acts helping the people live as comfortable lives as possible.

Anonymous said...

hej dear

how are u?
I have visited Africa, 9 times. And in septmeber i will go back again to Southern Africa. I do not know if I will visit your city. I help some refugess chidlren in Mozambique.
Maybe, we can talk by email...ok?
thanks for your comment
have a nice day
graceolsson.com/blog

Joyful said...

Hi KP, so nice to see you again :-) I am glad you were intrigued by my blog entry on the jiko stoves. Please let me know if I can tell you anything more. Otherwise, I recommend you check the links out in my blog post and that will put a more human flavour to it. My friend One Stoned Crow also did a great blog today, related to this and other daily needs of the African people. Please check out his story by clicking his profile photo in the comments.

Joyful said...

Hi Lynda, always nice to hear from you. I love all your stories about life in Tanzania. I know there are so many similarities with the Africans in Kenya. I agree if we all did our parts, life would be so much better.

Joyful said...

Keats the Sunshine Girl, welcome to my blog. I think this is your first visit and I do hope you will visit again soon. Thank you for your kind words. Blessings.

Joyful said...

Hi Grace, thank you for your visit and thank you for the wonderful work you are doing in Mozambique. I know the refugee girls are so appreciative of your help. I will be in touch by email (p.s. I live in Canada).

Adoption of Jane said...

You can picnic near baboons? My grandmother, jjaja said baboons are aggressive and mean, one tried to get me when I was a baby in the village in Hoima. I love your pictures. I am following your blog.

Al said...

What an interesting set of photos, very different from anything I've experienced in my life. I wish you the best of luck as you help these people.

Joyful said...

Hi Jane, yes the baboons there seemed very tame. There were a lot of them and a lot of people at "Baboon Point". Perhaps baboons are aggressive but I did not see that in my journeys. They are very curious and were more interested in getting into cars then they were in the people. I'm glad you love my photos as this blog is primarily a photo blog. Where is the village of Hoima?

Joyful said...

Al, I'm so glad you found my photos interesting and different. Thank you for your well wishes too :-)

Jenn said...

You will be blessed for your act of kindness and wonderful support. Africa -- Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda in particular -- was by far the best adventure I had ever embarked on in my life. It was life changing. I have yet to write more about my experiences in Africa.

Anonymous said...

Joy

I dont know what happened...for some days I tried to boook tickets to Mozambique and did not get...2 days ago I got..one to ..DO U KNOW?KENYA....

Yes...Nairobi...I contacted Johan...maybe I can visit there...we never know
graceolsson.com/blog

Joyful said...

You will be blessed for your act of kindness and wonderful support. Africa -- Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda in particular -- was by far the best adventure I had ever embarked on in my life. It was life changing. I have yet to write more about my experiences in Africa.

Joyful said...

Hi Grace, thank you for your visit and thank you for the wonderful work you are doing in Mozambique. I know the refugee girls are so appreciative of your help. I will be in touch by email (p.s. I live in Canada).

Joyful said...

Keats the Sunshine Girl, welcome to my blog. I think this is your first visit and I do hope you will visit again soon. Thank you for your kind words. Blessings.

Joyful said...

Wow..I am so intrigued! I think it's a terrific thing. I would love to learn more! Thanks for your neat post. I enjoyed your photos..the lions and the just the whole subject!
(I appreciated your visit as well)
Regina-

Joyful said...

Hi Sarah, nice to see you again. I'm glad you liked the insight into another part of the world.

Joyful said...

It's wonderful what you are doing to help these people - if everyone in this world could just do what you are doing, then it would be a much better place indeed.

It Was a Spectacular Day! ~ Skywatch

Hello friends and fellow bloggers, It was a spectacular, sunny day where I live. It's still rather chilly from my point of view but the ...