Thursday, August 22, 2013

A Lovely Day

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go."
 
 Joshua 1:9

I had a lovely day yesterday.  I haven't had a truly lovely day in a very long time. It isn't as if I haven't tried.   And it isn't as if things are terribly wrong in my life but I have had a tremendous amount of stress throughout the last many years. I deal with it rather well for the most part but from time to time, it does get to me.

Some of you know that I've been trying to look after myself better.  My efforts are showing small but positive improvements so I will keep doing what I'm doing.  I am also reading the Word more and making sure I spend time in prayer and praise; giving thanks for all that God does for me. In this regard , I really haven't changed my routine.  I've always done this but I have tried to slow down more and cut out some of the distractions. 

I know we aren't to dwell on our feelings and circumstances when things are not going our way.  That's where that saying comes from "Fake it, til you make it!".  But there are some times when we cannot even fake it and we give in to feeling our feelings.  While there are many who are afraid of doing this, some experts would argue that it is good for you to feel your feelings.  Even the Bible recognizes that people would do that  because in the seasons of life it isn't always rosy and sparkling.  That is what makes us human.

The writer of the Book of  Ecclesiastes in the Bible has this wisdom:

  When life is good, enjoy it.
    But when life is hard, remember:
God gives good times and hard times,
    and no one knows what tomorrow will bring.
 (Ecclesiastes 7:14)

It is through those times that those of us who are believers must continue to believe that better times are ahead and that God will look after us. That is different from believing that every day we will feel we have complete confidence because some days we absolutely do not feel that way at all.

We know we can have complete confidence when we fear the Lord and put our trust in Him. He gives us a place of refuge to which we can run in times of trouble. (Proverbs 14:26; Proverbs 18:10; 1 Peter 5:7).

Boat on the open waters of the north Atlantic Ocean


Cast your bread on the waters: for you shall find it after many days.
Ecclesiastes 11:1

I started off by saying that today was a lovely summer day and one I truly enjoyed.  I am grateful for such days. Today was  very warm but did not have the oppressive heat we've had for much of the summer.  We face the waning days of summer on this side of the world and it won't be long before the cool Fall season arrives.  Fall is one of my favourite seasons and I look forward to brisk walks in the crisp air.

Today though I enjoyed getting out in the warmth of the sun and enjoyed some of life's simple pleasures:  a chat with a neighbour, letters posted to my Zambian children, fresh flowers in vibrant colours, good books from the library, good coffee, and last, but not least, very good news that mom's (trial) wheelchair has arrived. It should be delivered to her in a day or two and she can't wait.  After they assess what might be needed to customize the wheelchair, the "real" one will be ordered. I hope both the trial model and the real one, help to alleviate her present discomfort. (For those who like to read my travel posts, I will resume posting images from La Belle Province and other places soon). 

My submission to Skywatch Friday.

17 comments:

Jo said...

Oh Penny, I needed this post with the encouraging Scriptures; especially the first one. I need all the strength and courage at the moment! Thanks sweet friend. Blessings, Jo

BECKY said...

Hello Joyful! I enjoyed your post, too. I'm sorry that I have not been aware of any of your stress, though. I just don't get around to all the blogs I like. There never seems to be enough time, which I actually hate using lack of time as an excuse for ANYTHING, because I know that I do waste many minutes a day, too. I'm so glad you had such a lovely day and I truly wish you many, many more. Fall is my favorite season. We haven't had more than a few days of our usual hot temps this summer, though, so I don't feel as if I can't wait for it this year! Hugs...
PS Thanks for stopping at my blog and commenting! I'm so happy you were able to get the book you wanted and I hope you enjoy it! Please let me know when you're finished reading it!

clairz said...

Goodness, I'm glad to hear that your mom's chair has arrived. I think you have the right idea, being thankful for all the small things. Those are the things that give beauty and joy to our days.

John's Island said...

Hi Joyful, I always enjoy reading your posts. I really do think it is wonderful the way you share your thoughts and feelings. So glad to hear that the chair arrived. Thank you, as always, for your kind comments on my blog, and for sharing yours. By the way, I second your comment about the summer heat in our part of the world ... I join you in looking forward to the return of our cooler weather! Very best to you from Seattle, John

Kay L. Davies said...

Penny, if there was ever a person who could obey that quotation from Joshua, I'd say it would be you. (But our mutual friend Jo would be a close second.)
I'm so pleased about your mom's wheelchair. I hope they find a good fit for her. It will make such a difference, I'm sure.
Luv, K

Lynda said...

I, too, enjoy autumn days - - and even winter more than summer time! Praise God for the encouragement of a great day. We need those to keep going.

Anonymous said...

This was such a lovely, encouraging post - thankyou so much for sharing. Exactly what I needed! xxx

Denise said...

So very inspiring, love you.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a perfect day.

eileeninmd said...

A very inspiring post! We should all be grateful for the small pleasures. Lovely image! Wishing you a happy weekend!

David C Brown said...

Blessed are all who have their trust in Him!

Ceil said...

Hi Joy! What a lovely post, and I am so glad that you had a good day, and you see progress in your goals. That qualifies as a 'winner' in anyone's book!

Have a wonderful weekend,
Ceil

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Very very good post---and one which all of us need to read ALOT... Life is all about our ups and downs and how we deal with them... God is there with us through it all.

Glad you had a good day.
Hugs,
Betsy

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

But when life is hard, remember:
God gives good times and hard times, I like this, though sometimes it is hard to take.

Rhodesia said...

Hope you have a wonderful day today. Take care Diane

A Woman that Fears the Lord said...

This post struck a cord with me and I must say you worded it beautifully! I have been in a similar season. Life does not 'sparkle' as it once did. I find that I have to fight for joy. You're read my blog long enough to know some of the trials we have been through. I continue doing the same things you mentioned... spending time in God's Word, praise, prayer and looking and watching for His hand in my day and the blessings He has given along with opportunities to serve Him through helping others. I recently reread "Practicing the Presence of God" by Brother Lawrence so I, too, have been 'practicing'. I also started a thankfulness journal a few years ago. I pray the Lord will continue to be your joy... and mine!

Lynn said...

Much love from your old friend, taking a chance to catch up with your blog and I am so glad I did! Many blessings and love to you Penny, sisters in our awesome creator and friends by his grace. Thankyou xxx

Beautiful April Sky

Hello friends and fellow bloggers, It's a beautiful April day in Vancouver and I'm enjoying the sun.  You can see people on the stre...