Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Pink Flamingoes Enjoy the Lake

As a child I remember wanting to visit the state of Florida.  I was fascinated by the state since it was home to the unique and delightful pink flamingos.


 I attribute my fascination with the birds to the fact that I grew up in a part of the country where winter season was from early November to the end of April.  This meant we had snow for fully half a year and much of that time was very cold.  I dreamt of  tropical climates, palm trees and an exotic lifestyle.  In my very limited life experience, pink flamingos seemed to fit into the fantasy.




Flamingos are showy birds in that they are tall, have a gloriously coloured beak, long pink legs, a gracefully curved neck and pink plumage. We didn't have such wonderfully coloured birds in my part of the world.  These characteristics would not serve the bird in my part of the world because of the lack of good camouflage.

 Years later I managed to make my way to Florida but by this time had forgotten about pink flamingos and my time in Florida was very brief.   I  was only in Miami to transfer to points south and not for sightseeing.  The best I could do was get to the beach front for a short time.  That turned out to be a bit of scary experience (perhaps a story for another day).

At last when years later I made it to Kenya, East Africa, the pink flamingos were there to greet me at Lake Nakuru.  They were breathtaking especially since there were just so many of them. My pictures do not do justice to the sheer number of them.



I hope you enjoy these beautiful birds as much as I do.



I believe these particular flamingos are called the Lesser Flamingo.

You can learn more about the flamingo here.

Participating in Wild Bird Wednesday.

http://paying-ready-attention-gallery.blogspot.com.au/2015/03/wild-bird-wednesday-138-pacific-gulls.html

Have a look there for more beautiful birds.

13 comments:

Adam Jones said...

Such colourful birds.

eileeninmd said...

Wonderful post on the Flamingos.. The last shot is my favorite.. Have a happy day!

betty-NZ said...

What a lovely shot! I've always been intrigued by them!

Sr Crystal Mary Lindsey said...

They are so beautiful and so many all together in one place.. Glorious.

A Colorful World said...

How lovely that you found your flamingos in Africa. I would venture to say Miami is a much more dangerous place than Africa, anyway! :-)

Linda said...

Beautiful photos. I do enjoy these birds, and I never get to see a lot of wild birds here in Montreal, so thank you so much for sharing. :)

This N That said...

Wow..Beautiful birds...

NatureFootstep said...

I have seen them in several places. First time in Camargue. This looks rather strange. One very large bird and lots of smaller ones. I wonder shy.

Joyful said...

Yeah it is interesting about that one large bird & several smaller ones. Maybe that part of the lake had specific food that the younger birds needed for growth.

Nonnie said...

stunning captures of those beautiful birds! Although we visited Florida when the kids were young, I never saw one.

Valerie said...

So glad you got to see the Flamingoes after all and in such huge numbers! Thanks for sharing these extraordinary birds

CountryMouse said...

Thanks for sharing these pretty birds. I'm glad you got to see them eventually. They are very interesting to look at. That is a long way from the 6months of cold weather.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

These are gorgeous looking birds and so many of them together. All wonderful shots

A Few Days in March ~ Skywatch Friday

Hello friends and fellow bloggers. I hope Spring is treating you well so far. It's been roller coaster weather where I live with mostly ...