Friday, June 19, 2009

Get Involved

Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

James 1:27

[Caption: Mother & her children receive seeds, Credit: Pst. Jonah]

Ever since I was a little child I've dreamt of being involved in African missions. Given I was only a child when I had this thought, I was never really sure if it was simply a flight of fancy or a real desire.

Over time, I put these thoughts aside as life got busy and very involved. A few years ago though things seemed to open up to new possibilities and it was as if God was "paving the way" for me to get involved in missions in Africa. My church has made a strategic 10 year investment in Cambodia, so I am basically on my own to try and help these missions. I do what I can as an individual to help missions in Africa, specifically in Kenya since I don't have the backing of a large non-governmental organization (NGO) or a local church body behind me.

Getting involved in missions is really not that difficult. It is simply a question of whether you will be obedient to God's word to practice pure and undefiled religion and help the widows and the orphans.

I've set out some ideas to help you in considering how you can get involved with the Missions of Hope in Kenya. I pray you will consider getting involved and making a real difference in the lives of these precious people. Now here are some ideas to pray about and implement:

* Link your website or blog to http://jonahsmissions.blogspot.com & www.jonahsmissions.weebly.com
* Pray specifically for the Kenyan pastors, their families; the orphans & caretakers.
* Fast for 1 or 2 days if you have no health issues.
* Sponsor, share sponsorship with a friend or find a monthly sponsor for one family ($55/month).
* Sponsor one child's education for a half year or year.
* Sponsor a building project (church, house, renovations, pit latrines). Africans have hands to build but need the raw materials.
* Organize & sponsor pastoral teaching for Kericho's pastors and create pastor's reference kits.
* Tell your church pastors, leaders & friends about these Missions of Hope.
* Get a group of friends to organize specific projects e.g. buy and ship bibles, sewing projects, fund raise for land rental & planting, buy animals and motor bike etc.
* Send funds (large or small) to meet urgent and long-term needs.

I hope you will become as passionate about these on the ground Missions of Hope as I am. God bless.

[Caption: Little boy holds tightly to the precious seeds, Credit: Pst. Jonah]

No comments:

Hello New Week

Hello friends and fellow bloggers, I hope you are all doing well. In my corner of the world, I've been enjoy all the lovely tree blossom...