Sunday, September 15, 2013

My Next Project

Our lives are like quilts - bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Quilting Quote from Greenfairy Quilts.
 

My next project....
I made a start with cutting the fabrics.

My apologies for the colour and quality of the next photo.  My night lighting is very poor.


This quilt will be for my mother or my nephew. I haven't quite decided yet.  I do have fabric and quilt ideas for several more quilts although I still have to purchase the batting and backing fabrics.

 One of the quilts I have in mind will definitely be for my nephew. Originally I thought to make it for his birthday but that date has passed. I will likely give it to him at Christmas.

 I'm still new to quilting and I'm realizing that I would save a lot of time both in cutting and in finding coordinating fabrics and colours if I simply bought pre-cut fabrics.  I'm also finding that a lot of the new patterns I've been admiring are designed to be made from pre-cuts (jelly rolls or charm packs).

What about you  dear reader?
Do you cut from fabrics you've carefully selected or do you purchase already coordinated pre-cuts?

9 comments:

Jo said...

You are wonderful Penny. You just continue to do things that are so interesting. Bless you for sharing. I don't even know where to start when it comes to material! Luckily I have my friend Amanda in Mwadui who does all the sewing. I finish off and do the admin afterwards! Blessings, Jo

Joy said...

Lovely fabrics Joyful - looks like some big time-consuming projects on the go - do enjoy them!
I haven't really got into quilting - yet - there aren't enough hours in the day for all the things I want to do but I do see lots of women buying ready cuts for quilting, and I noticed jelly rolls in the shop I visited on Friday. So many gorgeous fabrics to choose from - where do you start!
Joy x

Joanne Noragon said...

My sister opens her cupboard and pulls from this pile or that. Sometimes she goes to the store and puts more in her cupboard. I admire her work. That is all I know about quilting. You both have the same cutting board.

Rhodesia said...

Just typed a comment and it vanished!!! I was saying I wish that I had time to do sewing and also painting. I wonder now that I am retired how I ever had time to go to work before!!! Have a good week. Diane

Linda said...

What a fun project! I don't know how to quilt but I so admire those who do! I love your quote at the top, too.

Linda

Ceil said...

Hi Joyful! I wish I could answer your question, but I don't quilt! I was drawn to your analogy about our lives though. We are all quilts put together by all we had done and love. That idea is just beautiful, Joyful.

I like the western print a lot. I know your Mom or nephew will cherish it. What a great talent to have! Enjoy your project :) Maybe you could take a photo when you are done?
Happy Sunday,
Ceil

orchid0324 said...

Dearest Joyful,
Wonderful project♡♡♡ I LOVE the way you wrote starting this post, "Our lives are like quilts - bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love." So pity I have no talent for sewing p;)

Lots of Love and hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako*

Rhonda said...

Hi Joyful, I am a scraps only quilter, using scraps from other sewing projects or fabric that was gifted or thrifted.
Kits would be easy and accurate but I really prefer the scrappy look

Denise said...

You are so awesome.

Hello New Week

Hello friends and fellow bloggers, I hope you are all doing well. In my corner of the world, I've been enjoy all the lovely tree blossom...