Sunday, September 22, 2013

Some of the Things I Love

 “When I get a little money, I buy books. If any is left, I buy food and clothes.” 
~ Erasmus


I'm still feeling tired and sneezy this week from the cold I'm fighting.  Even so I've spent a  lot of time doing things I love as I recover.  Working on the two quilts as Christmas gifts saw me not only cutting, sewing and ironing but also running errands to purchase fabric and new blades for my rotary cutter.
I also modified two t-shirts into camis for my mother as I can't find any to fit her that don't have spaghetti straps.

When I needed or wanted a break from sewing and quilting, I spent some time on my other favourite hobbies, reading and catching up with friends.

Newest second hand book acquisitions this week cost a  grand total $3 (Canadian) and include:

~ Tower of the King's Daughter (Outremer #1) by Chaz Brenchley. I'm not sure about reading this one as I found out it is actually the 2nd book in a series.












~ Bel Canto by Ann Patchett









 
~ Almanac of the Dead, a Novel by Leslie Marmon Silko











The next book was borrowed from the library after reading about it at my blogger friend ClairZ.  The book is set in Kenya, land of my heart, and is about a woman who starts a mobile library in northern Kenya.  The books are transported on the back of a camel!













I also ordered a book from Amazon (total cost $7. and change included shipping costs) after reading about it on my blogger friend Martine's blog over at the Happy Sparrow. 


This book is an exploration of how women can live in beauty and grace, joy and peace in the midst of difficult circumstances. Real life stories are interwoven with biblical insights.








Last, but  not least, I put this book, Jesus and His World, on hold at the library and will be picking it up very soon. It's been on my "to read" list for awhile now.













I joined a for a fabulous movie called "The Sapphires", based on the true story of 4 Australian Aborigine women who form a singing group and travel to Vietnam to entertain the American troops during the Vietnam War.  It was a delightful, very funny and poignant story. All the proceeds went to a good cause in support of a local organization which helps young women develop self-esteem.

With the coming of the Fall season I've also been spending a lot of time working on my calendar and trying to make sure I have time for all the things I want to do. This always means making concerted efforts to get together with friends for coffee and a good natter.  I look forward to catching up with some friends this week. I'm also making plans to join a new Bible study group. I don't know if it will work out yet but I'm trying. September is always a busy and fruitful time though it can seem a bit frantic at times.  Next thing you know, Thanksgiving will be here. In Canada we celebrate Thanksgiving in October.

Today (Sunday) it is pouring rain in Vancouver.  I'm relaxing and reading one of my new books.  If I get up some energy, I will continue working on my mother's quilt.  I hope your week was also filled with hobbies that you enjoy.

Joining up with Our World Tuesday this week.

Have a great Tuesday!
The first one of the Fall 2013 season.

13 comments:

Linda said...

Thanks for the book list. I'm most interested in the one set in Kenya, as you no doubt already guessed. I'll look into finding a copy. Enjoy your quilting and other autumn activities. Nice to keep in touch with you.

Linda

Joy said...

I hope you are soon completely over the cold, Joyful - they can be nasty things, as you well know! Very interesting and varied book list there and you show from your post today that you are very practical and organised in your lifestyle, which I definitely go along with, otherwise nothing gets done!
I'm looking forward to seeing your next progress report on your lovely quilts. Two on the go at once is a big task, enjoy!
Joy x

Margie said...

Hope you feel better soon.
Looks like some great books you are reading.
I'm an avid reader and have many books on my 'to read list'

Pia said...

I hope you'll feel better really soon. Take care...

jesh StG said...

If I would feel that way, I would take heaps of vit. C and vit. R(ead). Thanks for stopping by my blog Artistique (am writing from my other blog now). Have a restorative week:):)

Anonymous said...

I wish the cold won't take the best of you..and those books sound wonderfully interesting!

clairz said...

I'm glad that you are getting a chance to read The Camel Bookmobile. I'm adding your movie recommendation to my "to be watched" list.

Barb said...

You sound busy and happy. I really like Ann Patchett's writing - I think you'll like Bel Canto. Must look up the Camel Bookmobile on Kindle.

Jan said...

Hope you feel better soon. I am definitely going to be looking up some if not all of these books. That mobile library does sound like a fascinating story. The film sounds good too. Look after yourself. x

Unknown said...

Great series of books. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Lovely reads and the perfect way to spend a rainy fall day, even if you're not recovering from a cold.. But especially then.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful series of books and do hope you feel better soon ~ carol ^_^

A Woman that Fears the Lord said...

I love and agree with the top quote. :-) I don't buy books like I used to but look for free E books these days. I still love to read! Glad you do too!

City Gardens, Weather & Cooking

Hello dear friends and fellow bloggers, Time passed too quickly this month and before you know it May will be here.  With it's return th...