Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Finishing Some Preparations & a Day at the Fair


Preparations continue here for earthquake preparedness.
If you wish to read more to this story you can click here

I went to the Pacific National Exhibition today and was so pleased to find a booth there selling supplies for earthquake and emergency preparedness.
This is the first time I've ever seen this type of booth at the fair.

I was able to buy the food and the water I needed without ordering on line (and waiting for delivery) or without having to run around and check various far away stores. 

In addition to food and water supplies  I purchased a small multi-purpose tool (with knife and can opener and so on).  I also managed to purchase a small hand cranked radio and flashlight combo.
I already have a radio but prefer one that won't need batteries and this fit the bill.
On top of it all I got 20% off all the prices because it was the last day of the fair.
Food and water supplies will be good for 5 years then they will need to be replaced.


I haven't been to the fair in 3 years but yesterday I had this feeling I should attend and go once more to the Home Pavilion.  I was in need of a change of pace and a bit of relaxation and fun.
Wouldn't you know it that is where I found the supplies I need.
I think it was divine intervention because I had such a strong need and desire to finish my earthquake kit preparations.
~~~
Now here are some images of the fair.
There were so many people attending that it was a bit hard to find something to eat without standing in long line ups (which I always do my best to avoid) or to even use the ladies room.
After 3 hours I made my purchases and came home.
It was a good way to wind up the summer.

Here are some images for you.
I tried to get images of the various food booths and the large crowd.


This was one of several swans that graced a stretch of lawn near the outdoor concert venue.

Look closely & you can see a very long sea of people into the area where you see tents and rides (background).


Maybe this photo gives a better view.

I managed to take in a bee exhibit. I was fascinated to watch the bees enter the hive through a clear tube connecting the outdoors to the hive indoors.  Dead bees that were lying in the tube were eventually picked up and moved somewhere by undertaker bees. This was very fascinating to me.


I didn't capture an undertaker bee in action but I did watch one.



Honey was also for sale.
 I didn't spend a lot of time in the barns but I did check out a few cows, goats and gerbils.



 




Vietnamese Food





Besides food and animals there is entertainment at the fair. There is a playground with all kinds of rides. I didn't go there.  There are also various shows and concerts.

I managed to catch a show I've never seen before, jousting (a medieval sport where two opponents on horseback fight with lances). It was very interesting. I don't have a photo of the most dramatic part of the show where one of the jousters from the USA was knocked right off of his horse. The impact was very loud and terrifying and I believe the lances were shattered in pieces. Amazingly the young man, aged 22, who fell, rose off the ground and walked off the "stage" relatively unscathed.  I'm sure his body will be sore from the impact.


Narrator for the joust competition. He was very funny.










The jousters move so quickly.
 Last but not least are the beautiful Clydesdale horses that grace the PNE every year.


My photo of the horses isn't very clear. I was going to upload a video but it takes too long and I've had a stop and start and kind of week.

Thank you for stopping by!


29 comments:

Rhodesia said...

Glad that you are well prepared Penny but I so hope that you never have to use your emergency kit. You took some great photos of the fair. Take care a keep well Diane

Red said...

You're more adventurous than I am. I stay away from crowds.

Jeanie said...

The fair sounds like loads of fun. I haven't been to one in a long while. As for your preparations, I'm glad you are prepared; I know it takes time and is expensive. But I would be ever so much happier if it was all in vain, that no earthquake passes by you. Fingers crossed.

happyone said...

So many people!! I haven't been in a crowd like that since I moved here. There are probably more people there than live in my county. 😊 Glad you had a good time and that you were able to get the items for you emergency kit.

Mari said...

Wow! It was very crowded there. It looks like you saw a lot of interesting things and I'm glad you got some things you needed too.

Annie said...

Looks like a lot of fun at the fair.
I am glad you are preparing for earthquake,etc. Always a smart thing to do. Prays that no harm ever comes your way.

Aritha V. said...

Love to see it! Cool to see the people in your photo. All kinds of cultures in your country? Many types of food too. I love bees. To see them, from flower to flower is so amazing. Busy bees. My daughters second name is Deborah. It is a Jewish name and the meaning of the name is: Bee. Als thanks for the first pic (with Bibleverse).

Dianna said...

I am so glad you were able to find the supplies that you needed without having to order and pay shipping. I know that was a huge blessing for you. Things really were crowded! Goodness! I'm like you...I try to avoid long lines. I've not felt well at all today and I am wondering if I "caught" something on Tuesday while I was in the waiting area at the surgical center where my husband had his eye surgery. You are a blessing, Penny. Any news on Granny in Africa?

Joyful said...

Thank you for your lovely message. I was very blessed to find my supplies and also to find them on sale. I went to another place tonight in town to purchase a lifestraw and water bottle with life straw. I could order it on line but I want it soonest and it is more or less the same price. I ended up buying a number of other small things while there that will come in handy. I'm sorry you don't feel well. I wouldn't be surprised if you did catch a bug at the hospital because that is where so many bugs do congregate. I wish you a very quick recovery. I do have news on grandma and I'm wanting to share but I must wait until I get some photos. It might take a few days yet but thank you so much for asking.

Joyful said...

Hello Aritha! I'm so glad you liked the photos and that you noticed we have many different cultures in my country. It's one of the things I love most about it because we get exposed to so many cultural festivals and learn about the foods and dance etc of people from around the world. I didn't know that Deborah means 'bee'. That is really interesting. I happen to love bees and Deborah is a wonderful name.

Joyful said...

It was fun Annie. I didn't get to spend as much time there as I'd like but it was much better than no time at all. Thank you for the well wishes.

Joyful said...

Yes Mari it was so crowded. I was rather surprised because it was the last day of the fair but weather was good and families want to have fun the day before school beings.

Joyful said...

It's hard to imagine that there are more people at the fair than live in your county. I know there are a lack of people on your walks and in the photos you share. I did have a good time and I was blessed to find things I really needed.

Joyful said...

Hi Jeanie, there are so many things to look at and do at the fair that I really only barely get a quick view. I would have to return over several days and that gets to be rather pricey. I am much better prepared now than I was before and I am hoping I won't have to use any of my kit. The latest update 09/07/18 is for a 6.2-6.8 off the coast of Vancouver Island. That likely means it bypasses me. Fingers crossed, prayers said.

Joyful said...

Hi Red, in the big city it is pretty hard to avoid the crowds. Most of the time I do though!

Joyful said...

Thank you Diane for your visit and your kind comment. I actually feel better now that I am better prepared...just in case. Of course I hope I never need to use it!

MadSnapper said...

thank you for your comment today on my post. I would love to see the jousting. we have a medival fair once a year, 10 miles from my home, but the crowds like the one at your fair keep me away... so happy you found your supplies. we are busy putting up hurricane supplies, every year this time of the year we watch the hurricanes. I live in Florida, USA prone to storms.... I really like those lighted swans

diane b said...

That is one busy fair. I don't like lining up for food either. But it looks like you saw lots and had fun.

eileeninmd said...

Hello Penny, the fair looks like a fun time. I am not to crazy over being in big crowded places. I love the swans. It is great you were able to get the supplies needed to be prepared for the earthquake. I hope the items are not needed but it is best to be prepared. Happy Sunday, enjoy your day and have a great new week!

Terriea Kwong said...

Sounds a great day in the fair and you’re well prepared. I didn’t aware Vancouver may have earthquakes .

Angie said...

I love the fair, and it looks like this is a BIG one. I have seen jousting several times, but I have never seen it at a fair. Terrific that you got to experience this thrilling sport!

Joyful said...

Hi Sandra, thank you for your return visit. It would be nice if you could brave the crowds and see the jousting at least once. It's always nice to do something different. I have see the hurricane heading toward Virginia. I think this might be one you feel in part of Florida too. I know you do get a lot of hurricanes.

Joyful said...

Yes it is the largest fair in the province. Perhaps the 2nd largest in the country. I did enjoy my short time there.

Joyful said...

I hear you Eileen. I too don't like big crowds but I can manage them. As long as I don't have to stand too long in any one line I'm ok. Unfortunately as each day goes by without an earthquake off our coast the pressure is building underground. Have a wonderful week ahead.

Joyful said...

It was a great day at the fair Terriea. Yes, sadly Vancouver is in earthquake zone.

Joyful said...

I've never seen jousting at the annual fair before. I haven't been to the fair for a few years so I'm not sure when they added it but it was fun.

stardust said...

It’s impossible to predict and avoid earthquake but possible to minimize damages if people prepare well. We are in the same boat, living on the Pacific Rim of Fire. The fair seems to have consisted of various fun events, but I don’t really like crowded places, so it was nice to see how it was through your photos. Be safe and sound.

Yoko

Aditya Narayan Mohanty said...

Wow lovely and crowded place .

Aritha V. said...

Thank you for reacting here :-)

Hello New Week

Hello friends and fellow bloggers, I hope you are all doing well. In my corner of the world, I've been enjoy all the lovely tree blossom...