Thursday, August 30, 2018

A Change is Coming

The last few days there has been a definite change in the temperature of the air. While it is still generally warm, there is now a distinct chill and I need to have a shawl or a light jacket when I go out. It seems to me that the chill has arrived somewhat early this year and rather abruptly. We don't usually notice the shift until the day after Labour Day (the first Monday of September).  This year Labour Day is on September 4, 2018.

The sky was looking quite cloudy when I came home from an appointment around 4 p.m. on Thursday.  There is no rain in the 14 day forecast but the temperatures are anywhere from 6-10 degrees cooler each day than they have been for months.  I don't mind because the Fall or Autumn is one of my favourite seasons. I do not do well in intense heat.  I far prefer the chill of autumn when it isn't yet cold and one can wear cosy sweaters and scarves. In some years the Fall season can go on for some time. Those are special times.


After I finished my errands I stopped for this breakfast/lunch. It isn't my favourite place to dine but it was handy and I enjoyed the omelette and sourdough toast.


The next few photos were taken on Wednesday. You might notice that the light of the day is not a intense as the past few months.



The photo below was taken at 7 p.m. It was still quite bright out but now the daylight hours are shortened by 1-2 hours each day.


I'm reading my 45th book of the year.

 
It is very interesting.
 I haven't gotten to the sad part yet but it will come.

Here is a synopsis of the book taken from the internet.
On July 12, 1969, Ruth Davis, a young American volunteer at Dr. Jane Goodall’s famous chimpanzee research camp in the Gombe Stream National Park of Tanzania, East Africa, walked out of camp to follow a chimpanzee into the forest. Six days later, her body was found floating in a pool at the base of a high waterfall. With careful detail, The Ghosts of Gombe reveals for the first time the full story of day-to-day life in Goodall’s wilderness camp—the people and the animals, the stresses and excitements, the social conflicts and cultural alignments, and the astonishing friendships that developed between three of the researchers and some of the chimpanzees—during the months preceding that tragic event. Was Ruth’s death an accident? Did she jump? Was she pushed? In an extended act of literary forensics, Goodall biographer Dale Peterson examines how Ruth’s death might have happened and explores some of the painful sequelae that haunted two of the survivors for the rest of their lives.
 ~~~~

I watched the much hyped first episode of Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan on Amazon Prime Video. If you have a chance to watch it I would recommend it. It is very well done and quite riveting. 

~~~~

I managed to get my documents photocopied yesterday to add to my earthquake kit.
If you missed my post on earthquake preparedness you can find it here.

~~~~
I've always loved zebras. They are so beautiful and these ones are from Lake Nakuru National Park in Kenya. I'll never forget my safari there.
I'm sharing them for Saturday's Critters with Eileen.



~~~~~


Last but not least, I am remembering my mom today.
She would have been 82 on Friday.

 These photos are from the last celebration of her birthday and were taken a few days after her stroke.
We were surprised to arrive and see her driving her wheelchair. She couldn't swallow yet so she she couldn't eat the cake that's why we only bought a small one. We usually bought her a chicken, seafood or Chinese dinner but this day we didn't want to eat in front of her so we only bought a cake to mark her day.


I always liked to treat her on her birthday.
 She loved her roses, her cake and balloon.


I remember wanting to wait until she was able to eat with us to celebrate. My youngest brother insisted we celebrate on her day. I'm so glad he did because it was the last time we were able to do so and see her smile.

 ~~~~
 That's all for now.
Wishing you all a wonderful and safe weekend.

Joining with

Skywatch Friday

Friday Foto Friends

and

Saturday's Critters

48 comments:

Aritha V. said...

Yes, I see that autumn is coming in your area. So nice, your photos. Here in The Netherlands is it also a few degrees cooler. And we have had rain :-) My son just went to school in his leather coat...

Thanks for sharing your mom's photo. What a nice an touching picture. I think she and my mom died in the same year (two years ago?).

You zebras are zo beautiful!

Lady Fi said...

I love it when autumn comes... Those zebras are so gorgeous.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Temperatures are still up here in Oklahoma but I can tell by the light and the lower humidity that autumn is coming. We generally have a long protracted Fall from the middle of September to Thanksgiving where we have warm days and cool nights and I love it. My favorite time of the year.
Great photos, and I love the remembrance of your Mother. Mine died 14 years ago and I still think of her every day.
Have a great weekend!

Red said...

Yes, it's cooled off to a much more comfortable temperature. what is more, it's cut down in forest fire activity so we have less smoke. It was plus one here this morning. Don't worry though. It will warm up again.

Joanne Noragon said...

Yes, happy birthday, Mom.
It's still really hot here.

Aditya Narayan Mohanty said...

Awesome street shot . Please tell something about my captures on my blog.

jabbott said...

A lovely photo of your late mum, I am glad you got to share her last birthday and remember all the things that made that day special for her, much love xxx

Rhodesia said...

Yes you are right it is cooling down and I now am thinking about hibernation!!! How I hate winter. That looks like an interesting book must look it up.
Good that you remeber your Mum, I never forget my Mum's birthday and it also has sad memories. We celebrated her 87th birthday on holiday in France, the night we got home to the UK she had a massive stroke and did not see the next morning. A shock for me, but I was glad for her that it was quick. She would have been 103 this year.
Happy weekend, Diane

happyone said...

Wonderful pictures of the Zebras. That are beautiful creatures.
I enjoy fall too. It doesn't really get that hot here where I live so summers are great too. More like one long spring.

Annie said...

It was nice to see your mother's photo. So happy you got to be with her for her birthday.
I love the zebras! I see the sun going down earlier now as well.
Fall is coming.

Joyful said...

Hi Aritha, thank you for the kind words. Rain and a leather coat. That is quite the start to the school year. My mom passed just over one year ago. Not quite a year and a half ago. I'm sorry about your loss of your mom but I pray your memories give you comfort.

Joyful said...

Thank you Lady Fi. Aren't they though. I like the one looking straight into the camera (or so it seems).

Joyful said...

Yogi, it seems that you have a marvellous fall. I would love to have such a long one every year as it is my favourite season too. Yes most mom's are very special and I'm so glad you have good memories of yours.

Joyful said...

I'm glad the temperatures are better for you Red and that the fire smoke has been reduced.

Joyful said...

Thanks Joanne. I'm always surprised at where it gets and stays hot. I wouldn't have guessed Ohio.

Joyful said...

Thank you Aditya.

Joyful said...

Hi Joy, thanks for your lovely words. It was a special day and will always hold a special memory for me for so many reasons.

Joyful said...

I'm with you Diane. The older I get the more I dread winter. Mostly because it is hard to keep my legs warm. I'm sorry your mom's last birthday is tinged with sad memories. But I am glad your mom didn't have to suffer and that you were able to be with her on her 87th birthday. Happy weekend to you.

Joyful said...

Thank you Happy One. I'm glad you like the zebras. I would like a mild summer like you seem to have.

Joyful said...

Thank you Annie. Enjoy the waning days of summer. It won't be much longer now before it's over for another year ;-) Happy weekend to you.

Breathing In Grace said...

Such a sweet foto of your precious Momma. Our grand-daughter is from Uganda and when they take her back to visit in a few years, our daughter and son-in-law plan to go on a safari. So much fun!

Jeanie said...

I'm glad you're getting a break in the weather. I love the photo of your Mum. You must miss her so. Have a lovely weekend, Penny.

Mari said...

I'm so glad you celebrated with your mom. That's a nice photo of her.
Love the zebras!

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Beautiful sky in the opening shot, and love the zebras! Enjoy your weekend.

Joyful said...

Thank you Debbie. Your granddaughter and her parents will absolutely enjoy the safari. I would love to go on another one some day.

Joyful said...

Thank you Jeanie. I am happy for the break but not looking forward to winter. I just heard today that a cold winter is expected - everywhere. After the past few years I'm inclined to think it's true, brrr.

Joyful said...

Thank you Mari. I love looking at these photos of mom and her flowers. I'm glad you love the zebras too. They've been one of my favourite wild animals since I was a child.

Joyful said...

Thanks so much Spare Parts. Enjoy your weekend too!

Nancy Chan said...

Beautiful zebras! Over here the air conditioners are working extra hard. The current temperature is 32 deg C.

Joyful said...

Glad you like the zebras Nancy. I hope you can stay cool!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Penny! Happy birthday to your Mom. Lovely photo, I am she is missed. I love the zebras, it would be awesome to go on a safari. I will check and see if my library has that book, sounds good. Pretty sky captures. I will welcome cooler and less humid fall days. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend! I appreciate your visit and comment on my blog.

Phil Slade said...

Yes, there is a definite nip in the morning air now and while i don't min autumn, I hate the winter. I do like your photos of the cool autumn light.

Joyful said...

Eileen I think you would like the book so I hope your library has it. Thank you for your visit and your encouraging comments. Enjoy your weekend. xx

Joyful said...

I'm like you Phil. In fact I love autumn but I don't like winter much. Thank you for stopping by. Enjoy your Sunday.

Tom said...

...I'd love to see a zebra in the wild, these are gorgeous.

GreenComotion said...

Beautiful photos of those gorgeous Zebras!
Thank you for your visit to my site today.
Happy WE to you, Penny!
Peace :)

Angie said...

I have always been fascinated with the patterns on zebra - God has quite an imagination, doesn't he? I am sure you miss your Mom. No matter how old we get, no one can replace Mom. I am very excited that my Mom is about to arrive for a visit, in just 6 days. Three of my siblings are also coming, with 2 spouses. Gonna be a houseful! Thanks for the book recommendation - I am saving up my reading list for these cooler days when I won't be able to get outside as much!

Joyful said...

Hi Tom, It's an amazing experience to see not only zebras but other wild animals on safari. I think it is one of the top experiences of my life.

Joyful said...

Thank you GC. Peace to you also :-)

Joyful said...

I share your fascination Angie. God is so very creative. I'm happy for you that you have many guests coming and aren't you so blessed that you have a large enough house to accommodate everyone comfortably. I'm sure you will have a wonderful time together. I really enjoyed the book so I hope you do too. I now want to read more about Jane Goodall's life and work. I've always been interested in her life and work and also that of Diane Fossey who studied the big apes in Rwanda.

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

Sounds like autumn is on the way. Still hot and humid here in Florida

shayndel said...

Beautiful zebra pictures!! Beautiful remembering of your Mom`s birthday. My mom too was around the same age, she would be 83 this November. Your young brother had good insight, how wonderful you were able to have the celebration with her and the special memory. God Bless you and enjoy the cool breezes and beautiful skies!!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Such wonderful memories of your mother -- that last celebration and all of the other times before -- she was blessed (as were all of you to have her in your life). (That was certainly one time when your youngest brother showed that you taught him all the right things ;>) ! I am in awe of your Zebra photos, and am also glad Autumn is coming for all the reasons you mention plus the fact that it is pretty much the only seasonal change we see since we're in Florida in winter/spring and there's not much difference that I can see).

Joyful said...

Hi Carol, I hope it cools down a bit for you. Humidity can drain the energy.

Joyful said...

Hi Shayndel, I'm so glad you like the zebra photos. I do get such fond memories when I look at them. I also get very fond memories when I see my mom in these pics. That was such a happy day for me. I was in absolute awe at how well she was doing after the stroke and it was so lovely to see her driving herself around and being able to spend the day with us. I'm sure you also have such wonderful memories of your mom. Your mom and mine were indeed close in age. Hugs. xx

Joyful said...

Thank you for your very kind words Sallie. Mom was indeed blessed and so were were to have her as a mother. She taught us so much and sacrificed so much for us too like many moms do for their children. I'm glad you like the zebra photos and I'm glad you enjoy the Autumn too. It's my favourite season.

NatureFootstep said...

love the zebras:)

Aditya Narayan Mohanty said...

Great sky shot .

A Few Days in March ~ Skywatch Friday

Hello friends and fellow bloggers. I hope Spring is treating you well so far. It's been roller coaster weather where I live with mostly ...