Thursday, July 9, 2020

Another Week Flies By


Hi friends and fellow bloggers,

Today is a mixed bag of weather. It is mostly cloudy with a few brighter spots. It hasn't rained today but it did rain yesterday.

I continue to be busy with all the paperwork. I'm also catching up on tax filing. One of the things that's been on my 'to do' list for awhile. I did tell you in my last post (read here if you like) that I had gotten very far behind on my personal business while I was busy care giving. Now I have an opportunity to get everything back on track.


Right now I'm cooking beans (kidney beans and chick peas) in the instant pot. I need to get back to healthier eating and beans are good for the blood sugar. I also roasted some yams and sweet potatoes and cut up some red peppers, English cucumbers and avocados.  I will be blanching some green beans and boiling some eggs.  All of these will be used throughout the coming day and if I don't feel like eggs I can have some fish or some chicken.  But for dinner tonight will be some coleslaw and smokies along with roasted red peppers and onions.



A few photos of my garden.

These are what came up from some wild seeds I planted.

These geraniums are late to bloom. These are the first flowers coming out. Black eyed Susan behind them will be opening soon.

A few strawberries ready for eating.

 ~~~~

I'm reading a new digital book, The Dutch House by Ann Patchett, on loan from the library.
A few years ago I read Bel Canto, another book by the same author and I enjoyed it very much.
Ann Patchett is a wonderful story teller.

 

I  learned that the local library will not be open until September though other branches have already reopened. Until then they have extended loan periods for books previously on loan before the pandemic. 
~~~

In cat news I decided not to wait any longer for a call back for interview and called the rescue center myself to make sure they received the cat matching information.  The woman decided to interview me on the spot so that turned out well. We discussed various cats that are awaiting adoption and now I just have to wait to hear when a cat comes available for me to view and decide. I am not the first person on the list for any of the cats which we discussed so I have to be patient.




Have a wonderful weekend everyone and thank you for stopping by.

Note:  As always, if you have an interest in African missions please see the various links at the side bar. We covet your prayers.



Joining in with Skywatch Friday

34 comments:

Jim said...

Good skies.

Mari said...

I'm a fan of beans and would eat them more often, but my hubby gets an irritable stomach if he eats too many. They really are good for you!
I like your sky shots!

Red said...

I really like your header with the Vancouver sky line.

Annie said...

The photos of the sky over the building are wonderful! What a great view.Is that the building with the greenery on top?

Joyful said...

Yes they really are good for you if you can eat them without problems.

Joyful said...

Thank you Jim.

Joyful said...

Thank you Red. I recycle my seasonal headers.

Joyful said...

Thanks Ann. The building in the distance has several trees at the top.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Pretty series of sky images. Your flowers and strawberries are looking good. I hope they can find you a kitty soon.. Take care! Enjoy your day, have a happy weekend!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Love your pictures as you share your week's events. I do hope you can get a sweet kitty soon. And those beans and vegies all sound so good. Do you like the instapot? Others seem to love them. I don't have one and am not sure if I would use it, so I like to hear more about it so I can decide if I need one or not. Have a wonderful and peaceful weekend.

Lisa said...

Like Red, I love your header photo. My son in Rhode Island and his wife are waiting to get a cat also. They want a black (because they are usually picked last in the US - superstition hangs on!), short haired and an adult. It will be their first pet, and the shelters want vet references. Hope they get one. Hope you do too, soon. One showed up in my back yard a few days ago! I'm beginning to face the fact I will have a third cat...

Joyful said...

Thank you Eileen. Have a wonderful, safe weekend.

Joyful said...

Thank you Pamela I do love the instant pot and it does a wonderful job of everything I've tried so far. I don't follow recipes. I just wing it so sometimes I get the timing off and over cook things a bit. But it has worked out for the most part and makes light work of cooking things like beans. Have a great weekend. xox

Joyful said...

Thank you for the compliment Lisa. I hope your son and DIL get the cat they want. I don't want an all black one (not superstitious) or an all white one. Other than that I am flexible. You sound like you have a soft spot for cats and that is a good thing for cats :-)

Jeanie said...

I'm glad so many want to adopt cats in your city but I hope you get to the top of the list soon. I'm glad the interview went well.

I really found The Dutch House fascinating. I love Ann Patchett's writing and have one on my summer list too!

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Pretty garden and beautiful sky shots!

Joanne Noragon said...

If you want a cat hereabout, a trip to the animal shelter or down a country road looking for "free kittens" sign is adequate.

affectioknit said...

Hi Penny,
You are so right about the time...I can't believe it is July...these quarantined days are so disorienting time-wise...I love Ann Patchett too...
~Have a lovely day!

Joyful said...

I can be patient about the cat Jeanie. I decided if it doesn't go smoothly to adopt right now then it wasn't meant to be and I will try in another few months. I'm glad you found The Dutch House fascinating. I look forward to reading it.

Joyful said...

It was that way here at one time too.

Joyful said...

Yes time really does go by so fast. It seems Ann Patchett has a good fan base amongst my readers :-)

Rhodesia said...

So right where do the weeks, months and years go to now, they always used to be so slow when I was at school!!!! I have not had a cat for many moons. Firstly Nigel is allergic to them and especially short haired cats and secondly we feed the wild birds. I have enough problems keeping the barn cats here out of our garden. Before marrying N I always had a cat around, and especially when we lived in Rhodesia we had several. If ever there was a snake in the house the cats always gave the warning long before we ever saw them.
Have a good weekend. Diane

Light and Voices said...

I hope you get a kitten soon. Our cat lived to be 23 years old. He was a character. I would present a rug, ask him to get on the magic carpet and he would. Then I would pull him around the house. Our library isn't really open. They call me. I go to the parking lot by the building. A person comes out asks for my name then goes into building, brings book out and puts it on the chair. Where there is a way, there is one. Seems like.

carol l mckenna said...

Very creative sky shots ~ delightful view

Be Safe, Be Well,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Joyful said...

I too remember when time just crawled. A week seemed like a lifetime. That's the main reason why I'm so shocked about how time flies so quickly these days. I'm sorry to hear Nigel is allergic to cats but if he wasn't to probably wouldn't want one these days by the sound of it. Enjoy your weekend Diane. xx

Joyful said...

Thanks so much. Very early this morning I received a request to "see" the cats (2 different ones). We'll see how it works out. My local library isn't open at all not even for pick ups though several other branches are.

Joyful said...

Thank you Carol.

shayndel said...

Cute little flying clock picture!! It expresses time flies so well,lol!!
Hope you find the perfect kitty and surely will be worth the wait!! That is so sweet and must be very exciting to anticipate!!! Beautiful blue sky peering through!! We have had some skies like that after and in-between the rains... Blessings and love ! A wonderful week to you!!♡

stardust said...

The panorama photo on the header is fabulous with the Vancouver skyline and the sea-scape. Balanced, nutritious diet full of fiver enhance your immune strength. I like beans, too, especially the ones fresh in the season, but dried soy beans are available all the year wound. I cook dried soy beans in a pressure cooker instead of buying them in a can. Flowers from seeds are lovely. The Dutch House is the second time today I see on my friend's blog. Looks like a good read. Take care.

Yoko

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I have that book on my wishlist. I'll be anxious to see if you like it. I can see your reviews on Goodreads so I'm glad I can keep up that way. I know we like a lot of the same books. Everyone looks the instant pot. Maybe I need one! heehee! Hugs!

Shilpa said...

Beautiful flowers and a nice blog

Saucy Siciliana said...

I love kidney beans but they are not available in Sicily, we have lots of chick peas though, they are widely used here for many dishes, including couscous. Have a nice weekend Joyful!

Lowcarb team member said...

Yes, the days and weeks seem to go by so fast.
I enjoyed seeing your photographs, I do hope you can get a kitten soon.

All the best Jan

Tanza Erlambang said...

flowers at your garden look so beautiful...attractive colors.
I love bean...yummy

It Was a Spectacular Day! ~ Skywatch

Hello friends and fellow bloggers, It was a spectacular, sunny day where I live. It's still rather chilly from my point of view but the ...