Sunday, December 6, 2009

Buttons and Blankets

Two days in a row I made it to the local goodwill just after they closed. I was laden with heavy items that I carried several blocks to donate so fortunately the clerk let me in both nights. The first night I was there just after 5 p.m. and she had a customer. I refused to leave so she finally took my bags *smile. The second night, I made sure I got there a half hour before closing, only to find a note on the door that said "Closed early for Christmas Party". This time there were several customers in the shop so the clerk readily took my donations. Whew!

It is very cold here and so one doesn't want to venture too far. Instead it is good to savour some hot tea or coffee and try to keep warm. I continue trying to find a place for, and organize things, as I go along.

Not so long ago, I purchased two of those very large bags for vacuum packing bulky belongings. I managed to pack away 4 large cushions in one and several sheets and pillow cases in another. It still takes up a lot of space but perhaps now it can go in my chest (Yah! it does. I managed to squish this wide bag into my cedar blanket chest. The cushions I'll have to store in my closet until I replace the covers; a project with unspecified time line.



Another organizing project that didn't take so long was taking a very large bag of assorted buttons which I had purchased years ago and sorting them by colour. It seems they fall into several colours: white/creams, black, blue, gold and silver. They are so pretty that I just like looking at them. I no doubt have more buttons in these colours than I will ever need for sewing. Some day I will have to come up with a project to embellish with buttons and if not, I can gift them to someone who will put them to good use.


6 comments:

bookbabie said...

My mom always had a button tin. I used to love going through it so I started one myself recently, maybe my new granddaughter will sort them some day!

Diary From Africa said...

You've been keeping busy !

Wonderful that you've donated unwanted things to goodwill ... especially at this time of the year when there are so many with so little.

I've often wondered about buying some of those vacum bags myself, but wasn't sure if they would work or not.

I love your collection of buttons, I'm, sure you could have fun doing some crafty with them sometime in the future ...

Thanks for your regular comments on my blog ;) keep warm !

Joyful said...

bookbabie, I'm so glad I found another kindred spirit. One who loves to look at buttons :-)

Joyful said...

Lynda, Yes, I've been keeping busy!

It is supposed to start snowing tomorrow for about 4 days. We don't get snow for much of our winter which is so good because snow turns to icy here and makes it very difficult to cope.

Today I will take the last big "batch" of books, glassware, etc. to the goodwill. Then later, when I have more time, I will continue to cull my things for giveaway.

The vacuum bags are great. I usually use the ones for clothes when I travel. I am a big packer like most women, lol..and the vacuum bags let me pack much more efficiently. This is the first time I've used them for linens and things. These ones are a less expensive version. Next time I will purchase the original spacesavers as they are much better quality (though also more expensive).

Glad you like the buttons :-) I love reading your blog. I'd say keep warm but I don't think that is a problem in Tanzania. Keep well and have a wonderful Christmas.

momofemmett said...

Corina made a quilt for one of her friends for a wedding gift. It was more rugged looking than most quilts I've seen. Instead of quilting or tying the front to back, she used buttons. It is quite unique, very warm, and a good way to use extra buttons. I believe she bought a bag of small buttons especially for that, but you could use any kind or assortment of buttons. I don't know if she still has a picture of it.

Joyful said...

Corina made a quilt for one of her friends for a wedding gift. It was more rugged looking than most quilts I've seen. Instead of quilting or tying the front to back, she used buttons. It is quite unique, very warm, and a good way to use extra buttons. I believe she bought a bag of small buttons especially for that, but you could use any kind or assortment of buttons. I don't know if she still has a picture of it.

It Was a Spectacular Day! ~ Skywatch

Hello friends and fellow bloggers, It was a spectacular, sunny day where I live. It's still rather chilly from my point of view but the ...