Sunday, July 10, 2011

Driving to Marigat

I know I've posted some scenes about this drive before but I didn't think it would hurt to post some again as I re-start my travel series about my Kenyan travels.

My travelling companion and I are on our way to a mission station in Marigat, Kenya.  Marigat is a small town about 100 kilometres north of Nakuru.  Actually where we are going is off the highway a few hours east of Marigat.  However,  Marigat is the place that you can find on the map. We are going there because I first travelled there several years ago to see this very arid place and to learn about their need for water. I am travelling now to see the borehole that has been built and to learn about what progress has been made and the still outstanding need for water. I'll write more about that project later. For now I want to show you the countryside.  You can click on the maps and photos to make them larger.

Can you find Marigat? How about Lake Baringo and Bogoria as that is where I am headed after going to the village closer to Marigat.


I love the stretches of countryside. I noticed that the closer we got to Marigat which is a smaller town, the narrower the highways got. I assume this is for a few reasons.  One being that the road is less travelled to these less populous places.  Another possible reason is that the road is not new.  Since my first trip to Kenya several years ago I have noted that the highways are much improved and I'm sure that these improvements will continue.

I'm always struck by how many people are walking in places where it seems like no one lives. I know there are villages and habitations everywhere so I'm assuming that is where these people are headed. Many people in the villages of course cannot afford a car so they must walk or take matatu if they can afford the transport fees. A matatu is a small van which transports you for very little money. Sorry for the blurred photo but we were travelling quite fast.

We had to slow down for this little creature who decided to take a nap in the middle of the highway.

More open highway. I love the blue sky.

This is a typical scene along highways and roadways. You will come across signage pointing the way to schools and churches primarily. You will also come across stalls like these ones with the corrugated metal. There are usually stores in these stall but these ones don't look too busy that day.

Here we are driving through Marigat, Kenya. We will stop for refreshment before carrying on.

We are stopped at a restaurant that I've been to before. We usually have some stew and milk or tea here. People like to sit on this veranda and eat as well as people watch.

This is the view from the veranda/patio of the restaurant. From here you have a good vantage point as to the buses, the shops and the roadside market.

Here along the busy highway the woman sell produce of fruits and veggies. From what I understand, a lot of produce must be transported from elsewhere due to the arid nature of the land. However, there is now a major irrigation project, Perkerra Irrigation scheme.  I'm guessing that more of the produce needed in the area can now be grown. I did see the project as we drove further to the village eastwards.

Another street scene.


Scenic Sunday

Please click on the badge/widget above to join other scenic sights from around the world.

12 comments:

Fred Alton said...

Wow! Thank you so much for the great memories of that long ride out of Nairobi, usually stopping at Nakuru for chai and tea biscuits, then on up the Eldama Ravine road to Eldoret - or Kisumu - or Busia - or Siaya! Much of the time that road was in better condition than the main A104 route. I was usually driving our Peugeot 504 station wagon, KZZ944!

I'm sorry to report that I never made it to Marigat or Lake Baringo or any of those tourist spots near the lake. Friends of ours went and reported that they had a wonderful time!

BTW - you have some GREAT photos of the dukas (shops) along the way!

Al said...

Great photos of a part of the world I've never seen - I love posts like this.

Joyful said...

Hi Fred, I'm so glad you enjoyed the post and your memories of your journeys along the Kenyan highways.

I'm going to be posting a lot of wonderful photos of Lakes Baringo and Borgoria so I hope you check back later and see what you've missed ;-)

It was great to have such an enthusiastic first commenter today!

Joyful said...

Hi Al, so nice to see you. I'm glad you enjoyed the post. I will be posting many more of my travels in Kenya. Hope you can join us again ;-)

Sivinden said...

A great collection of countryside scenes!

Regina said...

Sorry it took so long for me to get back and visit..I'm playing catch up quite a bit too these days?
Thanks for the tour! I'm sure it was a bit of an adventure as well. Good you had some company..I enjoy drive by's even if its a blog! The sights are great!

Joyful said...

Sivinden, thanks for your visit and your comment :-)

Joyful said...

Regina, hey no problem my friend. Life gets busy sometimes. I'm just glad you could stop by. Keep the fabulous photos coming.

Mildred said...

Wonderful post! Loved travelling your photos!
Thanks for sharing;o)
¤ Have a nice and happy week ¤

betty-NZ said...

What a great virtual tour! Love the little goat in the road!

Joyful said...

Hi Mildred, thank you for your kind words :-)

Joyful said...

Bettyl, thank you for your visit. The little goat is cute, isn't it?

A Few Days in March ~ Skywatch Friday

Hello friends and fellow bloggers. I hope Spring is treating you well so far. It's been roller coaster weather where I live with mostly ...