- It's raining; it's pouring.
- The old man is snoring.
- He went to bed and bumped his head,
- And he wouldn't get up in the morning.
Did you sing this song as a child too? I don't remember where I learned it or at what age in school but I've never forgotten it. In those days I lived in a small city where it seldom rained except prairie type downpours in the summer month. These downpours came complete with thunder claps and light shows (lightening). Some days or nights I would be babysitting and when the thunder and lightening began at the same time, I was terrified. I can remember it would be so loud and the lightening would literally light up the entire house (with lights off) as we were taught to unplug and disconnect all power sources once a big storm came through.
- Once or twice I remember we kids hid under the bed because the lightening was so powerful and it was difficult to escape. Our house had windows all over the place and the front room had a whole row of windows and more in the front porch.
- It's funny what you remember from childhood. To this day I do not like rain storms that come with thunder and lightening at the same time. The few times I have been on the Canadian prairies when this kind of storm came up was rather terrifying too.
- Where I live now we get a lot of rain so I always think of the little nursery rhyme about the pouring rain. Our rain storms don't usually come with thunder and lightening at the same time and when they do, the lightening doesn't light up my home like a Christmas tree!
- Thank God for small mercies.
- It's been pouring rain all day today and very windy tonight. That usually means a clear sky the next day. Indeed some sunshine is forecast for tomorrow but then it is rain for another week.
It was a very busy day today filled with phone calls and appointments.
I did manage to finally get to the movie
"Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom".
I enjoyed it thoroughly and recommend it.
Idris Elba is a formidable presence on the screen and captures the essence of Mandela very well. Naomi Harris also does a wonderful job portraying Winnie Mandela.
Here is trailer of this touching & inspiring movie.
- I hope you are all staying warm and dry wherever you are.
- I will be joining in with Skywatch Friday
- Weekend Reflections
- and add the links later :-)
|Photo: Looking toward downtown and False Creek from the waiting room of a doctor's office. You can make out the reflected lights of the doctors office, some chairs and a person in the corner (bottom right).
|Photo: Looking west on West Broadway, Vancouver, BC. I'm in the waiting room of a doctor's office hence the reflected lights.|
You can make out the reflected lights of the doctor's office.