Tuesday, July 12, 2011

On Our Way

When we left off our tour in Marigat, we were just finishing lunch and making our way east. I thought it would be interesting to show you some of the photos I took along the way. The trip took several hours along a very bumpy road. So for much of the time, I didn't even try to take photos as they wouldn't turn out without a steady hand on the camera.

Julius my driver on the far left of the photo. Patrons of the restaurant in the middle and on the right.

A street scene as we drive through Marigat and set out for the village with the new borehole.

One last street scene in Marigat.

We pass by a mosque. Click on the photo to see the bird flying overhead.

We are now on the long road to where we are going.  At this point I have no idea just how long this journey will be.

The "road" in these parts is still reasonable. It will get much bumpier. But I think you can get an idea of how dry and dusty it is here.

Along the way we meet people....

...and lorries.  We are actually still in the city limits if you will.

Soon you can see the change in roads.

The greenery along the road side is due to the Perkerra River which flows there. It isn't very filled with water at the moment.

I love to take photos of the countryside where I can as it is so very different to where I live.

A nice large tree though I'm afraid I do not know what kind.

These cows are crossing the small river.  I was struck on this journey with all the cattle and goats in the area. These people are pastoralists more than farmers.

I thought this bike against the tree made a nice vignette.

Here is the same vignette but a little farther away.

I love this countryside where the land is flat, the acacia trees are forming their lovely branches and there are big bunches of cacti.

We now must cross the river. The driver and the village community leaders who accompany us discuss what to do.

Here they get out and survey the situation.

The river is not too high so we look for the shortest distance across.

And here they go.
I decide to walk across and cool my feet but I keep  my flipflops on.

I snap photos of the mud huts and laundry along the way.

More cattle. These seem to be a special breed as they are all white.

We are very close to our final destination of the borehole.
The journey took about 3 hours on a dusty bumpy road. We had to drive very slowly. This was supposed to be a shortcut but I think it ended up being a long ride because we had to go so slowly. We will return a different way. Stay tuned. Life and travel in Kenya is always interesting!

Click on the badge to see more interesting scenes from around the world.

11 comments:

magiceye said...

thank you for the lovely ride!

Lonicera said...

Enjoyed this post very much. I think the cattle are a type of Zebu, very resilient in hot climates.
Caroline

snowwhite said...

Joyful,
I especially love the acacia trees and the mud huts in your photos. Now is it a dry season? The roads look so dry and the river is too shallow. I am a little worried. Maybe these are the ordinary sceneries here.
It is interesting to see the life and beauty differs from place to place. I enjoyed the drive with you. Have a wonderful day!

Cherie Hill said...

Incredible photos! So glad you took the time to share!!! Thank you for stopping by Journal of Faith!!
Blessings,
Cherie

Jo said...

Oh these are hardgoing roads, Penny. More even than the ones we drive out of the valley. Thanks for the ride. I enjoyed it! Blessings Jo

Bossy Betty said...

Another adventure!!!

Gwendolyn L said...

I enjoyed your journey as seen from the photos. Thanks for sharing.

jan said...

Great photos. I am learning so much from your blog thank you.

Regina said...

I thought I commented on this but opened up the page to scroll and could see it's another post. I can see how dry..it gets like that here too believe it or not..powdery dirt. I can't believe how pretty the trees are with those big o'l roots- very lovely country tour.

Joyful said...

Thank you everyone for your wonderful visits and comments.

Caroline, that was useful information. I googled Zebu and it does indeed sound like that is the name of the cattle.

Snowwhite, yes it is very dry and the river is shallow. This area is often in a drought season and sadly there is starvation in Kenya due to drought. My heart is always with the people there and I pray they can get the well they desperately need.

Jo, yes indeed, the road was very hard. We opted to return to town a different way on a highway rather than backroads and fields.

Unknown said...

very interesting pictures. thank you for sharing.

A Few Days in March ~ Skywatch Friday

Hello friends and fellow bloggers. I hope Spring is treating you well so far. It's been roller coaster weather where I live with mostly ...