Wednesday, September 4, 2024

Life Update

Hello friends and fellow bloggers,

I hope you are all well and fine. I'm still keeping busy here at the homestead. This will be a long post so settle in with a refreshing drink and relax awhile.

~~~~~

I saw that the building contractors seemed to have packed up and finished with their patio reconstruction. However there was an issue I had been raising with them all summer to no avail. Apparently they said it was due to the instructions they had received from the engineers. I kept trying anyway. Once they completed the work but still hadn't dealt with my issue (actually an issue for most of the owners but no one else seems to have raised it), I called the building management company and explained the situation. The management then spoke to the engineer and I couldn't believe that within the hour, the contractors were here having a look at the issue and brainstorming how to resolve it. We just had a long weekend so no work happened until today but I am pleased the work was done. It isn't perfect but it is much better than it was and I'm satisfied.  Moreover the other owners' balconies are getting the same solution. When I spoke to the management, I told them that we owners had spent a considerable amount of money to get the patios redone and by leaving them the way the engineer recommended, we would likely be having to spend even more money in the not too distant future. I had to emphasize that because I think there was some misunderstanding that I was merely raising a design or aesthetic idea. Anyway that is done. Over the past week or two, I have also purchased new patio chair pads and a new patio umbrella. I also had time to wash the patio doors and all the windows and sills from the outside and move or position all the patio planters. It's doubtful that I'll plant anything in the planters until next spring. I will try to find some suitable greenery to plant this fall if there is anything at the nursery that fit within our new planting guidelines. If not, I'll have to wait until next year. 

Before table and chairs were washed.

In addition to the patio, I'm still working in the master bedroom. I've been moving and rearranging things. I also finally called the movers to discuss some claims items (2 of my belongings were damaged) so resolving that will be the goal over the next week or so. The moving company is eager to resolve the issue so they can also get paid their considerable sum by the insurance company.

One thing that has added to my already busy schedule is potluck dinners every week at the church. I don't need to take something every week but as the church gathering is not usually that large, I have taken something for several weeks in a row. Last Sunday my contribution was dessert. I was going to take dessert bars because they are easy to make and easy to transport on the bus but in the end I decided to take a reduced sugar version of Peach Cobbler and a version of Bliss Balls which I made up with ingredients on hand.  Both were quite good and a hit with people who attended.  Now I'm taking some time off from baking and will take either a main course or a salad for the potluck at the end of September.

Bliss balls made with dates, shredded coconut,
walnuts, peanut butter and cocoa.

Reduced sugar Peach Cobbler 
I also used ground muesli mix instead of flour

I've been busy shopping for a few needed items: a new heavy duty backpack from Swiss Gear. This is a laptop backpack but I bought it just for every day use and I'm very happy with how sturdy it is. I've already gotten a lot of use out of it.

I bought a few dresses on clearance prices and a pair of Mary Jane shoes which are suitable for wearing with dresses or pants. I've decided to try and dress more traditionally (dresses where possible) for church.  I thought long and hard about these purchases but looking at my closet, I realize I have very few wearable dresses for certain occasions. 

Since these are summer dresses, I'm planning to wear them as much as possible before colder weather arrives. I'm also experimenting with how to extend their wearability as the weather gets cooler by pairing with tights, scarves, jackets, cardigans, covered shoes and boots. These ideas will help in reducing the number of new purchases as well.



I've already enjoyed wearing this one.  DH liked it too!



So much of the past few months has been all about work, some of it very unexpected like the leak several floors above me and the ensuing damage in the master bedroom. It's meant a lot of extra work for me in so many ways.  To take a break from it all, I've done a fair bit of reading and watching the boob tube or the You Tube. These are easy ways to take a break when one is tired of work.  

The reading statistics thus far

  • 18411 pages 
  • 47 books
I'm currently reading 4 books. 


The book on the Vagus Nerve.



These books should keep me busy for a while. 

Last but not least, I'm still trying to declutter. I've made good progress but more to go. I need to make more progress before my niece comes to stay for a brief visit later this month. I'm also hoping to hear from my brother and his wife but they will be staying elsewhere.

I certainly haven't been leading what one would call an exciting or fun life of late but I know it's certainly better than the alternative. A good friend passed in July. She was seemingly healthy and a bit younger than me. It is still difficult for me to accept that she's gone and sometimes I think of calling her to get together. I guess it will take me some time to get used to the idea that she is no longer with us.  Losing her reminds me that every day we have here is a gift and it helps me to be content with what each day brings. Actually, I've been working on that principle for many years already however losing someone close to you brings the principle more sharply into thought and focus.


If you've read this far, thank you. I truly appreciate your time and interest. Let me know you were here and how your summer went or if you are on the other side of the globe, what did you do this winter?

2 comments:

Jeanie said...

I do hate construction! I'm so glad that yours looks like it's nearing an end. That patio set is lovely. And I know those at the potluck were loving your offerings!

Annie said...

So sorry for your loss. Never easy to say goodbye to friends or family. You have a real variety of books there! I love that patio. It's really nice. Can't wait to see how you plant it!

The Weather is Changing

Hello friends and fellow bloggers, Happy Friday and best wishes to you wherever you are in the world. Our weather this week has been a bit c...