Tuesday, September 1, 2026

Traditions ~ Tuesday 4

 Welcome to Toni Taddeo's Tuesday 4.  

Tradition is an important part of any family or community and so important that people will fight to be sure they are not neglected or done away with.
From the first day of Autumn, to Halloween, All Saints Day, and Thanksgiving autumn brings many different traditions from all around the world.
School kids cut out paper leaves, pumpkins,etc. Homemakers change decor to reflect the new season.
Sweaters come out of storage... the weather is changing.


1. Why is tradition important to you?

I believe it's the glue that can hold families and communities or even nations, together.

2. Have family traditions helped to shape who you are?

Absolutely. I have many fond memories of celebrating holidays and traditions whilst growing up. Even today I try to carry on some of those same traditions albeit it in a much smaller way because my family is much smaller now and extended family members live very far away. 

3. Do you believe that tradition helps a community or shapes the unity of family and community?

I definitely do. Family traditions such as having dinner together on Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's and Easter give a sense of unity & working together toward a purpose.  Even if it's only making sure you get to the family celebrations on time, these traditional holiday dinners and celebrations are ways that help bond a group of people together. Many families, including mine, have a tradition of extending invitations to dinner to foreigners or visitors from outside the family.  So it becomes a wonderful way to meet people from afar and show hospitality.

Today, I live far away from my childhood home and relatives but I've carried on the practice of inviting people from elsewhere to my home whenever I can.  

Traditions such as a nation's birthday can also be a unifying time for the citizens of a country to celebrate such as on the nation's birthday.  It's a time for citizens to celebrate together in a way that is sanctioned by the governing leaders of the day.  People can enjoy coming together regardless of political persuasions.  Even if it's only for the day.

4. Are there any traditions you would like to bring back and why?

When I was a child in elementary school, the entire school would have a brief patriotic moment with greetings from the school Principal, announcements and singing the national anthem.  After that, the classroom teacher would lead his/her class in prayer and daily Bible reading.  Today that is no longer allowed in deference to the fact that there are others in the class who are not practising Christians and the number of people in this category has grown over time. 

Personally I think we should bring back these morning practises, readings and prayer.  After all this was always part of Canadian culture.  We shouldn't have to change it just because others have moved here since that is often their voluntary choice.  They don't have to be Christian to respect the way the country respects its origins.  Sadly the Christian aspect in public institutions has been watered down in every way and I'd like to see the trend reversed.

No comments:

Traditions ~ Tuesday 4

 Welcome to Toni Taddeo's Tuesday 4 .   Tradition is an important part of any family or community and so important that people will figh...