Friday, June 18, 2010

Assembling a Small Gift

I meet my friend for brunch today and before she leaves I wanted to give her a small parting gift.

It has always been more meaningful for me to give handmade gifts whenever possible and I think a wash cloth would make the perfect gift.  It is small enough that it won't take up much room  amongst the many things my friend has to move to her new temporary home out of town. It is also practical and she is a very practical person.

First I have selected a white knitted dishcloth with specks of light green and teal blue accent colours.


This is a close up view of the cloth.  I quite like this yarn and I should have bought more skeins of it but I only bought one.

 I added a nice smelling box of Dove soap.  This one is a green colour with a fresh scent.

 For ribbon I used a contrasting and complementary teal blue yarn to wrap the face cloth around the soap.


I hope she likes it.

Though I often don't give gifts anymore, from time to time I do like to remember someone with a gift. Thank goodness our Heavenly Father is not as inconsistent as I am when it comes to giving gifts and remembering us.

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.
James 1:17


Update:


My friend loved the gift. She shrieked with glee when she realized it was a washcloth and said she has been using only slivers of soap the last few days so the gift is handy right at this moment.  It gladdened my heart to know it was something she can use right now and that it is helpful to her.

9 comments:

Diary From Africa said...

What a lovely gift this is, something straight from the heart ... I'm sure that she will appreciate it :)

Laura in Paris said...

You're very creative, I am sure your friend loved this gift; but the real gift is your friendship!

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

This is a very thoughtful and practical gift. "green" too!

Barbara said...

Amen my friend that is a lovely and practical gift, I love gifts like this myself, so know others will love it too, and you are so right, something homemade is so much better to give, Hugs and blessings, Barbara♥

Sarah said...

That's beautiful, and thoughtful. You have such a kind heart!! xox

Karen said...

No wonder your friend loved this...so very thoughtful and sweet!

Sue said...

Oh what an absolutely thoughtful gift! I love these crocheted wash cloths. My SIL had some dish cloths that she bought at a boutique and I thought they were so cool. I have yet to see some anywhere. I'm glad your friend was so appreciative and that she could truly use your gift!
~ Sue

Joyful said...

Lynda, you were so right about my friend liking her gift (I've posted a little update about her reaction).

Laura, you are very kind with your remarks. My friend is someone I've neglected this last while due to family responsibilities and needing to be out of town so often. I felt very sad when I heard she was leaving town and wanted to do something small to show her I care. I was so happy she agreed to lunch.

KleinsteMotte, you are right. Thanks for pointing out that it was "green". I didn't consciously think of that angle. Though I do try to be green when I can I am not always that aware ;-)

Barbara, you are so sweet. I bet you have oodles of friends who can count on your handmade gifts. But then again, being a busy pastor's wife, you may not have so much time to make things.

Sarah, thanks for your visit Sarah. I've missed you. I'm touched by your kind comments.

Karen, thanks, *blush.

Sue, I love the washcloths too. This one is knitted. I know they can sometimes be hard to find when you want them. It pays to check the craft fairs in the Fall and before Christmas. Also the women's auxilary stores in some hospitals will have these and other handmade items for sale. Thank you for stopping by!

KaHolly said...

Very clever and thoughtful. You make a sweet friend. ~karen

Hello New Week

Hello friends and fellow bloggers, I hope you are all doing well. In my corner of the world, I've been enjoy all the lovely tree blossom...