Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Before and After Doily ~ My World Tuesday, June 22, 2010


My World today is not an outdoor view but an indoor view of a quiet indoor activity. I've been working on a crocheted doily this week and I finished it in the wee hours of this morning. I should have finished it earlier in the day but wasn't up to much crochet until I had a nap. I picked it up around midnight and played with it off and on.

This is a photo taken about half way through the doily pattern.


I am not 100% sure if I followed the pattern correctly as it seems I had to do a little improvising on the last row but it looks fine to me with the minor changes. You might be able to see there are 6 large and 6 small pineapple motifs in this Pineapple Blossom pattern.  I chose to make this pattern out of the printed patterns I have because it is a larger than normal doily. Here is the book I got the pattern from if you'd like to make it yourself.  If you would like an easier Pineapple Blossom pattern, I found a free one here.

These photos taken after completion.


Now I will wash and block the doily and hopefully that process will flatten out the ruffles. I will update this blog post by adding a photo of the blocked doily when it is ready.

Please click here to see more wonderful people, places and things from around the world.

Update:

Here is a photo of the blocked doily drying on a towel.  The colour looks different from the doily in the photos above but this latest shot is the true colour. I'm happy to report that after washing and gently stretching the doily into shape, the ruffles in the doily are largely gone and the doily measures exactly 18 inches in diameter. That means my tension was perfect as indicated in the pattern.  My second doily in the same pattern is going much smoother now that I am somewhat familiar with the design.

15 comments:

Dani said...

these look lovely. my mum can do such, but i've never learned. well, it's not too late, i guess.

Thanks for your comment!

Happy week!

Kilauea Poetry said...

Very inspiring- I like the way you displayed your pretty hand crafted work!!

Joyful said...

Dani, thank you for dropping by. You are so right. It is not too late to learn these wonderful handcrafts. I hope you will take it up soon ;-)

Regina, thank you for your kind words. I saw your other comment on "Live Fully" post too. I'm so glad you enjoyed the photos there. They always bring a smile to me too.

Kilauea Poetry said...

Oh good..hey, I'm catching up and now I realize your just one of two blogs I can't seem to make comments on through my phone! Thanks for being patient with me and I love your visits too!! I'm going in today for an ultrasound I put off last week. Hopefully it will reveal something I feel has been going on? My best-

KaHolly said...

Stopping by to visit your blog as you did mine. Thanks for your lovely comment. I hope you have the opportunity to travel to Atlantic Canada someday. It is truly beautiful here. I love your doily! You are very talented. I am a quilter, but not very successful at crocheting. Off to scroll through and see more of your world. ~karen

Joyful said...

Oh Regina, I do hope you get the answers you are looking for with the ultra sound. I've had various of these over the years and I hope yours is not painful. Hugs xx

Joyful said...

KaHolly, thank you for dropping by and leaving your kind words. I'm not a big crocheter but it was one of my goals to make a doily this year as it has been so long. It seems I may have been a bit ambitious, lol but I enjoyed the project. Quilting is something I've never done. I hope you will share some of your creations on your blog ;-)

Barb said...

I have some doilies made a long time ago by members of my family - I thought it was a lost art, but I see you are still doing lovely work. The pineapple signifies welcome, so think you should display it inside your front door!

Joyful said...

Hello Barb, thank for dropping by and leaving a comment. It is great yo have some heritage doilies. I wish I had some myself. Crochet isn't a lost art. There seem to be a lot of people in Canada that do it. I did know that the pineapple signifies "welcome" but am not sure where I will display it when done.

Rajesh said...

Beautiful embroidery work.

Joyful said...

Thank you Rajesh for your visit and your kind comment.

Anonymous said...

Joy, I talked to the man who works in Kenya...iam trying to change my fligh ticket to Africa...maybe i will arrive there and later i will buy another ticket back home...
Have a nice day

http://graceolsson.com/blog/2010/06/fotografia-e-uma-artephotography-is-an-art/

Joyful said...

Grace, I am so glad you talked. I am so excited and will wait to hear more from you both. Have a safe and happy journey. Hugs xx

Teena said...

That's great! I'm glad I got to see the finished product, and also that you didn't need to use starch. Nice job <3

Joyful said...

Ya, since I posted this, I've also finished the aqua one. It's the last 3 rounds that take the time. I've found I have to be careful counting after certain rounds and make sure I haven't added or taken away stitches. Other than that this doily is not as difficult as I'd first thought.

A Few Days in March ~ Skywatch Friday

Hello friends and fellow bloggers. I hope Spring is treating you well so far. It's been roller coaster weather where I live with mostly ...