Monday, June 28, 2010

Slippers in My World

Click banner when done reading this blog post.
Yesterday I was practising knitting a sleeping sock to wear instead of slippers.  But I got frustrated. No matter what I did, I kept goofing on my rib stitch pattern. After many tries, I gave up for the time being. I need to be able to concentrate on the stitches more so will wait until I am better rested.  This photo shows my progress to a certain point n the sock, but I've since unravelled it all and will try again another day.


Today I tried a new pattern for slippers rather than socks. This one requires me to cast on stitches in the middle of a project so I had to figure out how to do that. It took me awhile to find a satisfactory method and I can now do it! Yeah! But I will have to work on the actual knitting with more care. I made a model of it just so I know how the whole thing goes together.

Next, I will now focus on making this slipper and making the purled seams properly as well as the ribbing at the toe. This is a great little slipper; a classic pattern and once I get the hang of it, I can make it in several different sizes for the Kenyan orphans with the Missions of Hope.

7 comments:

Gerry's Soap N Stuff said...

I ♥ this little slipper. It looks like something I may be able to do. Thank you for sharing. Gerry

affectioknit said...

Sweet slippers - best wishes with the knitting!

Carver said...

Those are very attractive and look comfortable.

Susan said...

Those are the same slippers I learned to make as a newly wed. I used to knit a pair a year as I wore them out every year!
Aren't they easy and fun? Looks like you did a wonderful job!

Joyful said...

Hi Gerry, it is a cute little slipper. If I can make them, you can make them :-) Try it.

Affectioknit, thanks so much for your encouragement. I know you are a fabulous knitter :-)

Carver, thank you for saying so :-)

Susan, they are cute little slippers and fun to make. I wouldn't say they were exactly easy as I had to learn a number of new things in the making of them but now that I have made them once, they will be much easier the next time. Thanks for saying I did a wonderful job though I can "see" all my goofs, lol. At least I know what I am doing now and that was the intention. I need instant gratification so can't spend too long on thing before I must move on.

Rhonda said...

I am not a knitter but my grandmother was. She knit shoes like these for us most every Christmas . They were always red - her favorite color- and the ones for girls also got a big red yarn pompom on the top.

thank you for visiting my blog, I am glad I found yours through that comment

Joyful said...

Hi Rhonda, my mother was never a knitter so she couldn't teach me. Whenever I tried to learn my tension was always too tight. I'm having more success now, at least with simple things. I hope to improve on these slippers too and make a lot for the orphan children in Kenya as well as a pair for my own mom. I'm following your blog now ;-)

City Gardens, Weather & Cooking

Hello dear friends and fellow bloggers, Time passed too quickly this month and before you know it May will be here.  With it's return th...