Sunday, January 21, 2024

Books ~ Tuesday 4

I'm joining in with Tuesday 4 meme where we are sharing about books and reading this week.

1.  Do you have a favourite place to read? Maybe you can post a photo of it or describe it for us?

I can't really say I have a favourite place to read. I do tend to read in one corner of my sofa because I have a wall sconce above which helps illuminate my book while reading. 

The photo is the most recent photo of my sofa but the look today is completely different. Gone is the black lamp. Instead I have a wall sconce on either side and changed out pillows, art and tchotchkes.  If you look at the photo, I tend to sit on what you would see as the right side of the sofa.  It's actually the left side of the sofa and I sit there because it's further from the window tp avoid drafts and it's closer to answer the phone if it rings.


I've also tried creating a reading nook in the bedroom.  But that idea no longer works because we need room for DH's clothes, shoes and other things.

2.  Some say reading makes a person more educated, more informed.  Do you think novels do this in any way? Do you learn things from novels?  Would you tell us what you have learned?

Yes, I think novels can make a person better educated or informed. Firstly, they can improve one's vocabulary if you choose novels that are a little more complex. I read a lot of novels many of which are historical fiction and many are stories set in other countries. I've been exposed to different cultures, been inspired to learn more about various  historical events and learned how people lived and survived at various times in history.

3. Are there any books on your list to read right now?

My 'to read' list is always very long and I don't keep a comprehensive list of books I want to read. I've downloaded many free books on both Kindle and Kobo for a time when I may not be able to find a book to read at the library, lol. I also recently asked my library to curate a list of books for me to read based on my preferences and desires.  I'm hoping to start on that reading list sometime this year.  The book I'm reading at the moment is called The Covenant of Water, a book of my own choosing (and is pictured below).

4. Which books did you like the most and which did you dislike most?

Like many people do, I track my reading on the Goodreads website.  I've discovered that historical fiction is the genre I read and enjoy most. I've read and loved so many books over the years but I've also read a lot of books that are barely satisfactory. Some of my favourite authors to date are: Ken Follett & Edward Rutherfurd both of whom write historical fiction. I've also enjoyed Khaled Hosseini  (The Kite Runner), Abraham Verghese (Cutting Stones & Covenant of Water) and Rohintin Mistry is another fantastic writer (Family Matters, A Fine Balance). 


Female writers also feature prominently in my reading.  Over the years I've really enjoyed Maeve Binchy and Rosamunde Pilcher, both of whom write novels set in the more recent history in Ireland and Scotland/England respectively. I also really like Lisa See who writes a combination of historical and contemporary stories set in different parts of Asia. All of her books are  very interesting and keep me riveted.  Here is the author talking about her book, Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane which is the first novel of hers I read.


An American-Canadian author I love is Sandra Gulland who wrote the Josephine B. (Bonaparte) trilogy. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, a Nigerian author, is another great writer whose stories captivate me and teach me more about Nigeria and racial issues from an African perspective.  I've read her books, Half a Yellow Sun and Americanah, the latter is about race issues in the UK and USA.

Here is a link to the movie based on the book Half a Yellow Sun.  I only just found it on line today. I haven't watched it except for the first 15 minutes or so and I enjoyed it. 


There are a handful of books I didn't like but I'm not going to create a list of them because that would be a waste of time.  Just top of mind though I do remember two books I didn't like much.  One I read recently, and completed, is a popular book with excellent reviews.  It's called, A Grandmother Begins The Story. I've linked it for you if you'd like to read more.  I really wanted to like the book but sometimes things don't work out.  The other book is Barack Obama's Audacity of Hope. I just remember being bored and I never completed it.  Perhaps I will try again another day but there are so many other books to read. I did read an earlier book of his called, Dreams From My Father:  A Story of Race and Inheritance, which I enjoyed very much. 

Thank you for stopping by!




7 comments:

Jeanie said...

I always enjoy book posts and what my blog friends read and how they do it. very fun and interesting!

diane b said...

Interesting to hear what you read.

Lori said...

I have learned a lot reading books. I love reading. Loved your answers! Have a nice week.

https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

Kirstin said...

I enjoyed your answers. It took me awhile to get into historical fiction but I do enjoy it.

Cathy said...

I enjoyed reading your answers. I've enjoyed reading everyone's answers this week. Hope you have a great day!

Annie said...

I think I have learned most about people from novels. Your reading area looks comfy!! Thanks for joining in.

**Syl said...

Isn't it interestig there are so many different people and different tastes?
I read the Barack Obama books and thought they were very interesting.

Have a nice week!

The Last Weekend

Hello friends and fellow bloggers, I hope you are all doing well.   We've had a few beautiful days of sunshine. Now we are in the very l...