Sunday, May 6, 2012

Out of Africa


Have any of you seen the movie "Out of Africa"? It was released in 1985 and amazingly it was showing on the big screen in my city last Saturday morning.  I've seen bits and pieces of it on television over the years but I had never seen the movie from start to finish until this past weekend. The movie is based on the book of the same name, and other writing by Karen Blixen.  It is a movie based on Karen's love story and is described in one sentence on a website about movies

In 20th century colonial Kenya, a Danish baroness/plantation owner has a passionate but ultimately doomed love affair with a free-sprited big-game hunter.

What a powerful movie this was on so many levels. On the surface, it is a love story but it is a multi-layered story which is nuanced with so much about the meaning of life, love and loss.

The movie ran at 9:30 a.m. this past Saturday, and though it was open to the public, it apparently is part of a series of movies watched and discussed by local movie buffs.  These "regulars" get an introduction to the movies and a critique afterward and then they go off for lunch to carry on with the discussions.

It was lovely to hear an older woman talk about her thoughts about the  movie and of her journey to Kenya. It was also delightful to hear from an Indian woman who grew up in Kenya but now lives in Vancouver with her husband and children.  She had an especially personal account of the movie.  The director of the movie rented her apartment in Kenya while filming was occurring.  After filming was over, she was left with a copy of the screenplay. She was very emotional in speaking about the movie and her recollections of it because the movie had a powerful ending and people were still emotionally raw.

My friend and I enjoyed the movie so much that we went for our own lunch rather than join with the group luncheon.  However, we have decided to try and join these movie buffs again in the Fall and will likely take in more of the movies and discussions at that time.

What about you dear reader? Have you seen the movie? 
What did you think of it? 
Have you been to Kenya and how did that affect your viewing of this movie?
Perhaps you live in Kenya and have views you can share about the historical period this movie represents.
Whatever the views of my readers, I'd love to hear them.

Have a good week ahead.

10 comments:

Kay L. Davies said...

This is a beautiful post, Penny. I loved it. Yes, I've seen the movie, and I re-read the book often. A wonderful story in an Africa that no longer exists.
Thanks for the reminder.
K

Joyful said...

I'm glad you've seen the movie Kay and that you've read the story. I think I will have to buy and read the book sometime. Hope you're having a lovely weekend.

Brenda Green said...

Dear Friend,
Thank-you for sharing your day with us your readers, the movie sounds great! I'm so glad that you went and were able to escape your life for a moment and enjoy Kenya, I'm sure that with you being there a few times, it was especially neat for you. I'm glad Penny, that in the midst of a hard life, you are able to have a little fun and enjoyment! me

Joyful said...

Thanks for dropping by Brenda. I'm glad I could also have a brief break from every day cares and concerns with sick loved ones. Take care and enjoy also. Love and hugs.

LV said...

I have definitely seen the movie. I loved it. After seeing it, I definitely wanted to go to Africa. My mother has gone to Africa a couple of times and one of the times, her tour guide was the son of Alex Haley, the man who wrote the book ROOTS. I cannot imagine how awesome that must have been.

On another note, I have you a blog award:-) stop by and check it out!

Joyful said...

LV, How cool that your mother has gone to Africa several times. I have also and I thoroughly love it there. I'm hoping you get a chance to get there some time.

I really do thank you for the blog award but truthfully blog awards are just not my thing. I hope you understand :-))

Lonicera said...

This is one of my top ten films of all time and my favourite genre, where the location and the background are as mesmerising as the story. I've only seen it twice, but now you mention it, I shall look out for it on TV, or buy the DVD. I remember a quote from the film that made a strong impression on me - "When the Gods want to punish you, they answer your prayers", and I've never forgotten it. Karen Blixen's nostalgic writing style is so special, and I've always intended to read more of her books. She had many pseudonyms, which make it confusing to find them.
Caroline

Denise said...

Enjoyed this post.

Joyful said...

Hi Caroline, I hope you are able to find the film on DVD. I find it is often on television here.

Joyful said...

I'm glad, Denise.

It Was a Spectacular Day! ~ Skywatch

Hello friends and fellow bloggers, It was a spectacular, sunny day where I live. It's still rather chilly from my point of view but the ...