Saturday, May 5, 2012

What Have You Been Doing Lately?

Hi friends,

I hope you've had a chance to read an update about the progress of young Edwin from Kenya. If you haven't yet, I encourage you to read the short report and if you can, leave an encouraging comment for Jonah who I'm sure will pass it along. Words have an incredible capacity to heal and Edwin needs all the help he can get through healing words and prayers.

In other news, I have been very busy. My uncle too has recently been diagnosed with colon cancer.  At the same time, my aunt who has had breast cancer in the past, has seen a return of it.  I know that all this is in God's hands.  But as you can imagine, it has been a very busy and at times, tiring time. I am assessing whether I can make a visit to these dear ones soon. They live far away and there is a lot to do first.  But if it is possible, I will go and  I will try to blog photos of my journey.

I also wanted to share some books I've purchased and am reading.  I went out looking for one book called Half of a Yellow Sun, by









In addition to reading, family and missions matters, I've been busy spending time cleaning up computer files, updating the software on my smart phone and playbook and sorting through and re-organizing my media centre (CDs of music and movies). I've also been attending to long delayed paperwork, like organizing receipts, doing taxes, submitting receipts for reimbursement and all those kind of little things that take time and concentration. I will continue sorting through old bills and paperwork over the next few months as part of my major decluttering project. Little steps add up to big gains.

In time, it will all get done. Lastly, the garden patch has been cleared but no veggies have been planted yet and it has been too wet to put out the new cushion covers on the patio chairs. Sadly too, a family member who was cleaning out the remainder of the garden for me accidentally pulled up my beloved poppies and wild flowers. I was devastated for a few moments. But I guess they can all be replanted or something else planted in their place.

And what about you dear reader. 
What has been taking up most of your time?

14 comments:

Roan said...

I've been working. Too much work, not enough play. I'm a fan of MS. Binchy, too. Haven't read this one yet, but it sounds like a good one.

Fred Alton said...

So sorry to read of the Uncle's diagnosis of Colon cancer and of your Aunt's re-curring cancer problem. A visit from friend's during times of sickness means more than the visitor can understand, so I do hope you are able to make that trip. Also - I will pray for them. Since I've been diagnosed and am now going through chemo therapy I am more sensitive than I would have been in days gone by. My journey so far has taught me that the cancer is not near as bad as the chemo-therapy. Of course I don't know what it would be like without the chemo. My reading has been limited to the Bible mostly. I read it through (or at least have the goal of reading it through) 4 times a year. So, can I say I've read 66 books once already and am now down to Ezekiel on my second read-through. That and the news here on the internet is my main reading. Slowed me down when I got so sick three weeks ago - but I'm now starting to feel human again.

Beth Zimmerman said...

I have so many books in my to-be-read pile. May need to go on a road trip (hubby always drives) to get me away from this computer so I can catch up a little!

Denise said...

My heart hurts for you, your uncle, and your aunt. My prayers , of course, are with you all. Those books sound like great reads. Good luck with your garden. Glad you got to spend time with your friend today, I am sure you enjoyed the movie. Take care of your full tummy, love you.

Jan said...

Thank you for the book recommendations. I have added two to my "to-read" shelf on goodreads. I am still reading Great Expectations at the moment by Charles Dickens, on my ereader. It is taking me so long as I really only get chance(and energy) to read at night in bed and then my head hits the pillow and bang, my eyes start getting heavy and I'm off to sleep! There are so many other books I want to be reading and know they would keep me awake more than Dickens! But I have promised myself I will complete it and am enjoying it. Wish there was a book group nearby I could join. I've thought of trying to start one but as always, I struggle with the thought of organising something from scratch, and dealing with people! I am so sorry about your Uncle and your Aunt, and hope that you are able to make the journey to see them. Please look after yourself in all of this. It sounds as if you are very busy. As you say, you are making small steps. xx

Joyful said...

I hope you get some down time soon so you can kick back, relax and read ;-)

Joyful said...

Thank you for your kind words Fred. If any good can come from your cancer, then it is that you are more sensitive. I praise God for that. I pray that the chemo won't be so hard on you and that you will have more good days, than bad days.

I'd have to say your reading goals are fantastic and you have a good discipline in reading your bible. God bless you as you continue to read the Word.

Joyful said...

I understand Beth :-) I can't read when I'm in a car but I can when I am in a bus or on a plane.

Joyful said...

Thanks for your love and prayers Denise. I also appreciate your encouragement about my garden. I did enjoy the movie so much. I hope you and lovebug enjoyed the WWE RAW.

Joyful said...

Great Jan! I like you am tracking my books read and it's a wonderful way for me to make sure I read the classics. I didn't have much opportunity to read them as part of school curriculum. I hope you can finish "Great Expectations". That one is on my list also. I do hope to visit my relatives soon. Yes, I am busy and I'm trying to pace myself through everything. Blessings. xx

Brenda Green said...

Dear Penny,
Wow, my friend, you are an inspiration!! All those books. You know that the turtle won the race, cuz he took one step at a time, going forward slowly, but constantly, and he won the race. You my friend, will win this race too. keep up the good steady pace. love, me

Joyful said...

Thank you my friend. I hope you found a book in my pile that you would like to read :-) I do like that story of the tortoise and the hare. It has always been one of my favourites. I just didn't know that I would apply it to my own life one day, lol. Keep well. Love.

KT said...

oh - I hate that cancer keeps popping up...it is never easy. :( Thank you for the book suggestions; I am now working 40 minutes from home, so I am digging into books on tape. The library is starting into the "audio-e-books", so I have to figure out how to download them...and get them on a format in my car. Technology...good sometimes...frustrating others...

Joyful said...

Yes, that C thing is so rampant.

I don't know how we ever managed without all our new technology. I hope you get to find just the right audio books for your daily journey.

It Was a Spectacular Day! ~ Skywatch

Hello friends and fellow bloggers, It was a spectacular, sunny day where I live. It's still rather chilly from my point of view but the ...