Saturday, October 20, 2012

Weekend Plans


Learn to enjoy every minute of your life. Be happy now. Don't wait for something outside of yourself to make you happy in the future. Think how really precious is the time you have to spend, whether it's at work or with your family. Every minute should be enjoyed and savored. Earl Nightingale 
So I commend the enjoyment of life, because nothing is better for a man under the sun than to eat and drink and be glad. Then joy will accompany him in his work all the days of the life God has given him under the sun. Ecclesiastes 8:15
It's Saturday today and I'm looking forward to it. It's been raining a lot over the past two weeks.  Not every day but almost every day and I've been spending a lot of time indoors.  It works out perfectly because it gives me a chance to make a lot of hats.  Some of you know that I'm planning to sell them to raise funds for my favourite charity, Missions of Hope (MOH, see button link on side bar).  I think I'll have enough inventory soon to sell and hope to spend some time in the near future to write up the descriptions and describe each hat/beanie and size, etc.  I'm hoping to make a badge too (just thought of that) and if you want to support the MOH, you can place the badge on your own blog. It will link to my Etsy shop for those that want to purchase.  Not only will a person be buying a hat but they will also support the needs of poor villagers in Kenya.

So far I've got 2 berets, 1 tam and 2 beanies for a woman, 3 beanies for toddlers and 3 for babies. I will be adding more colours and sizes but am also trying to use up what I already have.

Even though I was busy, I did manage to get out for coffee with a new friend.  We both had a good laugh when we realized that our paths almost crossed many years ago through mutual friends but we didn't meet until decades later!   At the Diabetes Clinic I attend, I was finally able to get some help with my broken glucometer.  Now I can start testing myself more consistently.  I need to monitor the blood sugars consistently to see if the new medicine I've been given will help my sugar levels which are still too high despite all my best efforts.  I do hope it works.

Last week,  I purchased alpaca yarn at the yarn store and mother of pearl buttons at the bead store. I need to go back to both of these stores to purchase another skein or two of yarn, as well as exchange some of mother of pearl buttons.

A few of the buttons are too thin on one side (see lower right of photo).  Buttons are so expensive these days with these ones being $4. (Canadian) a piece.  The owner let me have them for $2. each and about 4 of them are not of good quality.  I've never had this problem with a button before.

I've always loved mother of pearl buttons.  Do you like them too? 


These buttons are quite large.  I'm thinking of using them for embellishment on cowls and hats, or perhaps on a sweater.

Once the errands are done, I 'm heading out for dinner with my nephew and his girlfriend.  It will be the first time I've seen their new apartment so I will take them a draceana plant as a house warming.  I checked with them first if they wanted it.  I thought they might be too busy to care for a plant or not that interested but they seemed eager to have it.  I think they like the fact that it will grow quite high over time.

After my dinner, I am meeting up with a Ph.D. student from Kenya.  He also teaches and tutors in the Swahili language and I'm thinking of hiring him as my tutor.  This might work out better better than taking classes once a year.  The classes don't always fit into my schedule and the sessions are so short that one can't learn a whole lot before the sessions are all over.

Sunday I am hoping to hear from a new Brazilian friend, Maria, whom I met here last week when I went for a foot reflexology session (heaven).  Maria is a psychologist and she will be returning briefly to Vancouver after a tour to the Rocky Mountains.

I hope you all have plans for a good meal and or joining up with friends. Enjoy!

10 comments:

Terra said...

Your hats look so pretty, like a bouquet of hats, and the pearl buttons shine. I like your project to learn Swahili. Have a great weekend.

Denise said...

I love those hats my friend.

Sabine Gimm said...

Enjoy the weekend and every moment of your life.
Greetings Sabine

Jan said...

So busy, Penny, but being busy keeps us young!
WOW..... The cost of those buttons really puts the price of the item up. Do they have any buttons in the Goodwill shops? Sometimes an old cardigan will provide good buttons.

Joyful said...

Hi Jan, I have different places I can buy cheaper buttons. I just wanted to have some nice mother of pearl ones too.

snowwhite said...

Your knitted hats have true warmness coming from your heart warmness.
I also have always loved mother of pearl buttons. With these buttons, clothes look more elegant.
Have a wonderful autumn day!
keiko

Vores have said...

Hello Joyful
Thanks for your comment ....
The picture down snow is from 2010 but the same date 21.10.
Wish you a good Sunday :)
The weather here at present. is rain + 10.2 graer
Hugs Hanne Bente

Jan said...

That is good news then,Penny. I know I was amazed the last time I looked at the price of buttons, also about $4 each and not mother-of-pearl,and resorted to my button jar, which probably contains about a $1000 worth of buttons going on the current outrageous prices.

Elisabeth said...

Such cute little hats, and those pretty little pearl buttons!

Unknown said...

Friend,
Thank's for sharing your day with us. the hats are very cute, i'm sure they will look great on a little babies head. The buttons are very pretty, sorry about the trouble with a few of them. Boy, 2 to 4 dollars a piece are very expensive!!!But they sure are pretty!!

A Few Days in March ~ Skywatch Friday

Hello friends and fellow bloggers. I hope Spring is treating you well so far. It's been roller coaster weather where I live with mostly ...