Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Gratitude December - Day 22

Hello friends and fellow bloggers,

Today's post is Day 22 of Gratitude December.  I'm grateful that the Coquihalla Highway has been reopened to commercial traffic.  The reopening is about 1 month earlier than initially expected through the hard work of so many workers, engineers and so on who worked around the clock to reopen it.  


Photo credit:   BC Ministry of Transportation

The highway is a major route that connects the City of Vancouver and the other municipalities in the Lower Mainland with the rest of the country. While it was closed the supply chain was badly affected. Truckers had to use alternate and very dangerous routes to move goods. It will be awhile yet before this major highway is reopened to recreational traffic but today's reopening is definitely good news!

Photo credit:  Darrel Dyck, The Canadian Press

There will be major upgrades to the highway going forward.  Upgrades that will try to strategize around climate change issues so these repairs are temporary in nature.  BC Minister of Transportation, Rob Fleming called the reopening, a Christmas Miracle and I would agree.

7 comments:

Red said...

It's an awesome piece of road at anytime. I'm always glad when I'm finished driving on it.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I am glad the road is open to commercial traffic. Sounds like a major road, I hope things are back to normal soon. Take care, have a great day!

Joyful said...

I agree that it's an awesome road. I've missed travelling on it during these Covid times.

Joyful said...

Thank you Eileen. You have a great day too.

Jeanie said...

That second photo -- wow!

Sharon Wagner said...

Yikes! Happy Holidays and safe bridges in 2022!

Rhodesia said...

Hi Penny, I wish you all the very best for the holidays and the coming New Year, may things get back to some sort of normal living very soon. Cheers Diane

A Few Days in March ~ Skywatch Friday

Hello friends and fellow bloggers. I hope Spring is treating you well so far. It's been roller coaster weather where I live with mostly ...