Friday, May 31, 2024

Happy New Month of June

Hello friends and fellow bloggers,


I hope you're well. I don't know about you but I feel as if the month of may went by in a flash. I've been kept on my toes so that usually makes the time fly by.

Let's hope the month of June is a good one for all of us and that it doesn't get too hot or too cold where you live.  In Canada, wildfires started a few weeks ago in the far north of British Columbia and northern Alberta.  Several communities in both provinces had to be evacuated. Fortunately, they got the green light to return to their homes just a few short days ago. Sadly some people did lose their homes but I think the damage might have been less than originally expected. Thank God for small mercies. It's never fun having to move out of your home unexpectedly and especially not knowing what you might be returning to at the end of the ordeal.

Where I live the weather has been beautiful for much of the month of May but in the last week it turned quite cold.

The small community plot that I planted is doing 'so so'.  It was very cold in April and the garden rules are that the gardens must be fully planted by May 1st.  In April, there weren't a lot of starter or nursery plants available in my neighbourhood but I bought what I could and also sowed sunflower seeds directly into the soil.


They are green items growing in the foreground.  I probably planted too many because they didn't do so well when I tried to start them indoors so I wasn't sure how they would do being sown as seeds into the garden plot.  I've been to the garden plot a few times to check on them.  They seem to be growing a bit slowly but perhaps that is normal since they have a longer growing season than many vegetables.


Various invasive plants have planted themselves in the garden plot as well. I just let them grow.  It doesn't bother me but it does bother other gardeners.  I plucked out most of the mint but I left the strawberries and some poppy plants.  The cherry tomatoes haven't grown very much since planted but this seems to be normal.

We are growing kale, swiss chard, lettuce and tomatoes, sweet peas and corn.  The other plants have sown themselves or they come back yearly.  Soon I have to return to do some weeding and also harvest some chives.  They grow so well no matter what the weather and it seems like they don't really need any maintenance.

I picked a few strawberries and ate them after washing. It was a nice little treat.








I'm joining in with Skywatch Friday today.  Thank you for stopping by! Please come again soon.


6 comments:

Revrunner said...

Nothing better than time spent in a garden . . . especially with a camera in hand.

Penelope Notes said...

Gardening is useful work and how luscious the earthiness of handpicked strawberries.

magiceye said...

Beautiful sky and garden captures!

In the Company of Me said...

A beautiful glimpse into Canadian life as summer arrives!

Spare Parts and Pics said...

That's a beautiful garden. I'm still trying to figure out what happened to May!!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I love your garden. May 1 seems like an early deadline for planting but I guess that it works. I am not much of a gardener but I got myself through college in part by working gardens for older people. The ones who had the most success it seemed to me were the ones who were not fanatical about pulling up every last weed.

New Faucet Installation ~ Part 2

Hello friends and fellow bloggers, I've been wanting to change the faucet in the master bedroom for quite some time.  I finally took the...